• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

CGrillo

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Claudia Grillo
Can you get kale? That's also a dark green similar to spinach, you may be able to fool him.
Now would be a good time to read up on some diets and tips in the Feathered Food Court. I found that transitioning via cooked grains like brown rice and wheat made it easier to convince any budgie to try different things. My tip is consistency, keep offering the same thing in the same place for a few weeks rather than a few days.
How do I get him to eat something like brown rice? I heard it’s good because it has fiber. Are all kinds safe?
He is willing to try anything similar to spinach. I once gave him arugula and he didn’t love it and was surprised it wasn’t spinach.

They recommended romaine but honestly with all the Ecoli outbreaks in the US i don’t feel comfortable giving it. I once got very sick from a kale salad so kale kind of freaks me out lol.

He’s also very quiet and cranky today

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Fibre really isn't important in a parrot's diet, in fact the less the better. I found that if I just kept offering something they'd eventually get over their fear of the strange and go and investigate it.

He’s also very quiet and cranky today
You'd be cranky after a vet visit. :roflmao:

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Also its a surprise to me that his gram stain came back normal. His droppings are still so strange. Am I crazy lol
They're not strange. They're just wet.

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
My budgie Goldie drinks a lot. He never did but one day he misjudged a landing and bumped his rump. Since that day he's had polyurea but there's nothing wrong with him. Yes, polyurea can be a sign of sickness but sometimes there's no reason other than the bird just wanting to drink more

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
5grams over 5 days is a concern, but he's at the top of the range still (45grams is overweight). He's been stressed by a vet visit but you say he's eating normally. You're waiting for test results coming back aren't you? It may be a good idea to phone the vet and raise this, but I can't see the vet doing anything else until the results are back.
hes been drinking a lot more but I’m not sure why
Could be he's over this polyurea and is losing the excess water.

Last edited:

CGrillo

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Claudia Grillo
5grams over 5 days is a concern, but he's at the top of the range still (45grams is overweight). He's been stressed by a vet visit but you say he's eating normally. You're waiting for test results coming back aren't you? It may be a good idea to phone the vet and raise this, but I can't see the vet doing anything else until the results are back.
That is true. He luckily has some weight to spare. I see him eating like normal and he could be stressed by the visit. I will call the vet tomorrow since they are closed for the holiday today. They sent out his PCR for giardia yesterday so I’m not sure what day I’ll hear back and I’m Also waiting on the AGY PCR price since they are looking for a lab they can send it to.

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
How is Luke today @CGrillo? Did you manage to contact the vet?

CGrillo

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Claudia Grillo
How is Luke today @CGrillo? Did you manage to contact the vet?
He seems good. He was very loud this morning! I called the vet and they said his test results came back but he wants to review it and then call me back

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
He seems good. He was very loud this morning! I called the vet and they said his test results came back but he wants to review it and then call me back
Sounds like they may have found something. I hope this is the answer for little Luke. How's his weight today?

CGrillo

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Claudia Grillo
Sounds like they may have found something. I hope this is the answer for little Luke. How's his weight today?
I just really want to know what’s causing this At this point because I know this isn’t his normal poop.
He still weighs 40g from yesterday

CGrillo

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Claudia Grillo
Never heard back from the vet today, I’m going to call tomorrow morning. They must have been busy because of the holiday. I’ll keep you all updated when I call them

CGrillo

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Claudia Grillo
Never heard back from the vet today, I’m going to call tomorrow morning. They must have been busy because of the holiday. I’ll keep you all updated when I call them
So the PCR for giardia came back negative. They said they are still having a hard time finding a lab to to do AGY so they are still looking. i told him about the weight and he said in the meantime he wants me to give luke an oral antibiotic For 10-14 days but I honestly don’t know how I’m going to get him to take it

Karen

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
These videos should be helpful. More can be found on you tube. Hope the antibiotics help.

CGrillo

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Claudia Grillo
Luke has to take enrofloxacin 2x a day I just picked up his meds

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Luke has to take enrofloxacin 2x a day I just picked up his meds
That's to cover for anything the vet could possibly have missed. Please make sure you complete the full course of this antibiotic.

CGrillo

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Claudia Grillo
I just gave him his first dose. The poor thing was crying after I gave it to him :(

He’s a very difficult bird to restrain but it worked

will this medication help with his wet droppings?
I forgot to ask the vet what exactly this will help him with and they are closed until Tuesday

Last edited: