• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

CGrillo

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Claudia Grillo
If that's what's concerning you stop worrying. They don't always pass faeces in their poops despite us calling them poops. Just like sometimes you'll get the odd one without any urates or liquid. It's totally natural, just like the colour. When they eat vegs or fruit the faeces reflect what they've eaten so they'll become lighter in colour, wetter and softer when he eats some spinach (not immediately - takes time to go through the intestines).
Thanks guys. I really appreciate it. You’re right. I just have so many thoughts about what could go wrong and it gets to me :(

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I think every member here has been through similar worries themselves so we all understand. Things will normalise for you and you will be able to recognise changes from the norm. If you can, just sit down a while and enjoy your buddy as he is right now.

CGrillo

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Claudia Grillo
I think every member here has been through similar worries themselves so we all understand. Things will normalise for you and you will be able to recognise changes from the norm. If you can, just sit down a while and enjoy your buddy as he is right now.
Thank you all:heart:

hopefully all will be ok.

1606071413368.gif

CGrillo

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Claudia Grillo
Hey guys, just want to give an update on today’s droppings. He’s done a lot of droppings without the fecal portion today. Im afraid his intestines are inflamed and it’s hard for him to I guess “push out” the fecal portion.

Trying my best to stay calm until the vet Tuesday.

Attachments

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Hey guys, just want to give an update on today’s droppings. He’s done a lot of droppings without the fecal portion today. Im afraid his intestines are inflamed and it’s hard for him to I guess “push out” the fecal portion.

Trying my best to stay calm until the vet Tuesday.
Oooh you worrywart. I see 4 poops without faeces, hardly a lot lol.

CGrillo

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Claudia Grillo
I’m giving him his probiotics still while we wait for the vet visit. do you think this is A good idea?

anything else that might help him in the meantime? I tried tea but it’s hard to tell if it’s helping

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Best to stick to what the vet said about giving them. They will not do any harm.
Keep up with the tea. Even if it makes no difference to his health it's an interesting activity for you both to share.

Mybluebird

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Anne
Sorry I didn't see this until today. The echinacea tea that I like is Traditional Medicinals Organic Echinacea Plus Seasonal Tea. In addition to the echinacea, it has spearmint and lemongrass both of which are OK for budgies. The problem with many teas sold for human consumption is they often contain other ingredients that are not good for budgies. There is nothing in the Traditional Medicinals that is bad for your Luke. Hope he gets better soon.

CGrillo

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Claudia Grillo
Sorry I didn't see this until today. The echinacea tea that I like is Traditional Medicinals Organic Echinacea Plus Seasonal Tea. In addition to the echinacea, it has spearmint and lemongrass both of which are OK for budgies. The problem with many teas sold for human consumption is they often contain other ingredients that are not good for budgies. There is nothing in the Traditional Medicinals that is bad for your Luke. Hope he gets better soon.
Thank you! he seems to enjoy that tea so I’ve been giving a few drops of it a day.

CGrillo

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Claudia Grillo
Best to stick to what the vet said about giving them. They will not do any harm.
Keep up with the tea. Even if it makes no difference to his health it's an interesting activity for you both to share.
He said probiotics are good!

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
He said probiotics are good!
They are. Probiotics contain bacteria that live naturally in your bird's gut and some nutrients to help them get established. These bacteria help digest food and keep the gut healthy. Antibiotics kill off these natural bacteria so Probiotics replace them.

Karen

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Good luck

CGrillo

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Claudia Grillo
I’m so nervous! I couldn’t even go into the vet Because of Covid. they took him in to examine him and I’m outside waiting. I’m so nervous he probably thinks I abandoned him :(

CGrillo

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Claudia Grillo
Doctor said that he is going to do a PCR test for AGY and Giardiosis. He said he didn’t want to do bloodwork unless he was extremely worried. In the meantime he is more concerned about his weight issue. Luke had some straining when he Poops and I was worried about that so he said we will wait until the PCR test comes back but to focus more on the weight issue because that could be the cause. Gram stain came back with no infections or anything unusual

CGrillo

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Claudia Grillo
The vet also said no more spinach o_O

Luke isn’t going to be to happy about that. I use it to train him

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
The vet also said no more spinach o_O

Luke isn’t going to be to happy about that. I use it to train him
Can you get kale? That's also a dark green similar to spinach, you may be able to fool him.
Now would be a good time to read up on some diets and tips in the Feathered Food Court. I found that transitioning via cooked grains like brown rice and wheat made it easier to convince any budgie to try different things. My tip is consistency, keep offering the same thing in the same place for a few weeks rather than a few days.

Last edited: