• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Forget the fruit, he's fighting a fungus and fruit has sugars.
It's time to get inventive. What about unsalted peanut butter?

CGrillo

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Claudia Grillo
You must have something he will eat.
I have a feeling he will know the meds are there because he takes small little bites and once he tastes it he won’t eat it Anymore

CGrillo

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Claudia Grillo
Forget the fruit, he's fighting a fungus and fruit has sugars.
It's time to get inventive. What about unsalted peanut butter?
Wait Do you think it’s a fungus? I’m not sure what he has because the tests we ran for his poop came back Fine

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I should have said "if it's a fungus or bacterial"
That was my bad, I should just concentrate on one thread at a time.

CGrillo

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Claudia Grillo
I should have said "if it's a fungus or bacterial"
That was my bad, I should just concentrate on one thread at a time.
Lol it’s ok. I wasn’t sure maybe It seemed like it was either so I was curious to know why :roflmao:

ive been staying away from fruits just because the vet said to keep his diet the same for now but that is a good reason to hold on them

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Can you get hold of a 0.1ml syringe? It'll be easier than the dropper for directing and controlling the meds.

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If I need to get medication into Leia, I drip the dose into a piece of parrot cookie: Oven Fresh Bites - 4 oz Parrot Cookies | Caitec Corporation

I'd recommend the Carrot Cake one - it's strongly flavoured enough to hide the taste of medicine. I found that the berry ones are less successful because she doesn't eat the dried fruit and the pieces prevent the rest of the cookie from absorbing the medication.

They come in large pieces so you'll have to break it into appropriately sized portions.

CGrillo

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Claudia Grillo
If I need to get medication into Leia, I drip the dose into a piece of parrot cookie: Oven Fresh Bites - 4 oz Parrot Cookies | Caitec Corporation

I'd recommend the Carrot Cake one - it's strongly flavoured enough to hide the taste of medicine. I found that the berry ones are less successful because she doesn't eat the dried fruit and the pieces prevent the rest of the cookie from absorbing the medication.

They come in large pieces so you'll have to break it into appropriately sized portions.
Good to know! Thanks

CGrillo

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Claudia Grillo
Giving him this medication and seeing no improvements is really frustrating. It’s torture for not just him but me as well. He still has all the same symptoms and I hate to be doing all this for nothing :(

CGrillo

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Claudia Grillo
Giving him this medication and seeing no improvements is really frustrating. It’s torture for not just him but me as well. He still has all the same symptoms and I hate to be doing all this for nothing :(
he literally will not swallow the medication

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
A lot of medications, particularly antibiotics, tend to make symptoms worse before they get better. With antibiotics you're flooding the body with a bacteria to kill off another bacteria.
he literally will not swallow the medication
Perhaps you could contact the vet again? He may have specific advice regarding the meds he's provided or he may have alternative meds that don't taste so bad or can be given in a different way.

CGrillo

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Claudia Grillo
A lot of medications, particularly antibiotics, tend to make symptoms worse before they get better. With antibiotics you're flooding the body with a bacteria to kill off another bacteria.

Perhaps you could contact the vet again? He may have specific advice regarding the meds he's provided or he may have alternative meds that don't taste so bad or can be given in a different way.
I called the vet but the doctor is in surgery so i spoke With the receptionist/ assistant and she said even if he even if he gets some of it in his mouth that helps. I said I have to chase him around the room for minutes a day because he doesn’t want to take his meds and he keeps holding it back in his mouth and not swallowing it so it goes up and out of his nose and that worries me (even though I would do it slow and gentle) so she said she is going to speak with the doctor after he gets out and call me back.

I hope his poops get better soon - like you said it does still look bad so I hope it does clear up eventually.

She said it’s just strange that Luke doesn’t like the strawberry flavored medicine:lol:

CGrillo

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Claudia Grillo
Also silly question - is it safe to give him his usual echinacea tea with his antibiotic course?

also his probiotic in halves? I realized there are vitamins in it so maybe I should give it even though the probiotic part won’t work as effectively

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
It may be the way you're holding her. She must feel secure in your grip or she will fight you. I have two alternatives for you.
Remember food and meds need to go to the front of the mouth next to the tongue(to the left as we're looking at it). If it goes to the back of her mouth she'll choke.

Last edited:

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Aww! I just think he’s keeping an eye on you! Lol! I don’t know that I consider that holding his wings out from his body?

CGrillo

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Claudia Grillo
Aww! I just think he’s keeping an eye on you! Lol! I don’t know that I consider that holding his wings out from his body?
He looks cute but i think he’s traumatized. His feet get kind of warm. He does that and opens them up more here and there. He acts weird like this only after I give him his meds.

Attachments

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Aaaw, what a cute little stress-head.
Stress does make them warm and if he's still fighting you then he'll get even warmer. He's stressed, he's warm and he's agitated. Imagine how you would feel if you were restrained when you didn't want it.

CGrillo

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Claudia Grillo
Aaaw, what a cute little stress-head.
Stress does make them warm and if he's still fighting you then he'll get even warmer. He's stressed, he's warm and he's agitated. Imagine how you would feel if you were restrained when you didn't want it.
I know I figured that was why :(
I feel so bad!
it takes him about 30 minutes to start chirping again.