• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
It's a general antibiotic do it should help with any bacterial infection. As with any antibiotic we can expect his poops to get worse while he's on it.

CGrillo

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Claudia Grillo
It's a general antibiotic do it should help with any bacterial infection. As with any antibiotic we can expect his poops to get worse while he's on it.
When should I be seeing improvement with his poops?

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
When should I be seeing improvement with his poops?
It'll be after he has completed the full course, probably 4days to a week after.
Did the vet mention probiotics? Antibiotics kill off the natural healthy bacteria in the gut. Probiotics replace these bacteria and are best used just after the antibiotics finish.

CGrillo

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Claudia Grillo
It'll be after he has completed the full course, probably 4days to a week after.
Did the vet mention probiotics? Antibiotics kill off the natural healthy bacteria in the gut. Probiotics replace these bacteria and are best used just after the antibiotics finish.
I give him probiotics regularly 2x a week in his water. I told the vet I give him this but I’ll double check and call him Tuesday. Not sure if I should continue doing it 2x a week or wait until after the antibiotic course

This is what I give him Oasis® Alive and Well for Birds | bird Vitamins & Supplements | PetSmart

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Personally I believe its pointless giving probiotics while giving him something that'll kill it. I'd stop with the probiotics, let the antibiotics do their work. What probiotics are they?

CGrillo

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Claudia Grillo

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Sorry, I didn't see the link. Yes, I'd pause them while he's on the antibiotics then resume after. If there's special instructions for first-time use then follow them. Sometimes they'll start with a lower dose in the instructions.

CGrillo

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Claudia Grillo
Sorry, I didn't see the link. Yes, I'd pause them while he's on the antibiotics then resume after.
No problem:roflmao:
I was worried it didn’t attach the first time. But sounds good to me. Thank you!

CGrillo

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Claudia Grillo
Does anyone have a very difficult budgie who screams, squirms and cries when you give their meds by mouth, or is it just me? :wacky:

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh, no, it's not just you. I've had to give the boys medication. Juju will struggle and fuss but eventually give up and take the medicine.

Jelly Bean? He will go after you hammer and tongs in a fit of rage at being toweled and medicated, lol! Poor man just hates being confined.

CGrillo

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Claudia Grillo
I just gave him his meds and a little bit came out of one of his nostrils. It cleared up but did I do something wrong?

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's hard when they are twisting their little heads around to be very, well, precise in administering the medicine...*sigh* Did he sneeze or cough afterward?

CGrillo

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Claudia Grillo
It's hard when they are twisting their little heads around to be very, well, precise in administering the medicine...*sigh* Did he sneeze or cough afterward?
I know he moves so much!
Yes he did a single sneeze

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Did he sneeze or cough afterward?
Yes he did a single sneeze
That's a sign that the medicine is being administered too fast or too far into the mouth - he sneezed because he inhaled it (aspirated).
Once or twice shouldn't be a problem, but if it happens too often the medicine could get into his airsacs/lungs - risk of pneumonia amongst other problems. I know he's fighting you but you have to take your time with such a small bird.

CGrillo

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Claudia Grillo
That's a sign that the medicine is being administered too fast or too far into the mouth - he sneezed because he inhaled it (aspirated).
Once or twice shouldn't be a problem, but if it happens too often the medicine could get into his airsacs/lungs - risk of pneumonia amongst other problems. I know he's fighting you but you have to take your time with such a small bird.
Ok I’ll try to do it more slowly! The dropper is such a pain and it gets stuck when I push the medicine out

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Ok I’ll try to do it more slowly! The dropper is such a pain and it gets stuck when I push the medicine out
Are the meds dosed in drops or ml? Will he eat softened pellets or birdie bread?

CGrillo

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Claudia Grillo
Are the meds dosed in drops or ml? Will he eat softened pellets or birdie bread?
It’s 0.03 mls. I just got it all around his eye and beak. He is becoming more and more difficult to give him his meds. He flew away when he knew I was giving it to him and I literally chased him around the room for 3 minutes as he continued to waddle away from me. And then his squirming is getting a lot worse.

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
It's only 0.03. Is there any softened food he'll eat. I use to soak a tiny piece of cracker (I think over there they're called Graham Crackers?) with a dose of the meds and offer it on it's own or mixed with a treat on a spoon. The treat you use will depend on your bird but I used to mash a little apple and banana together

CGrillo

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Claudia Grillo
It's only 0.03. Is there any softened food he'll eat. I use to soak a tiny piece of cracker (I think over there they're called Graham Crackers?) with a dose of the meds and offer it on it's own or mixed with a treat on a spoon. The treat you use will depend on your bird but I used to mash a little apple and banana together
The medicine has a very specific smell that you just know it’s there so I’m afraid he won’t eat it and he doesn’t eat enough apple or banana to give it with that.

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
You must have something he will eat.