• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I need recommendation from Green cheek conure owners

Mahdis

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Mahdis
Hello everyone! I hope you are doing well. I am a writer and a student but I will graduate in the next month, so I'm considering to get a Green cheek conure after quarantine. I need maximium 2 to 4 hours of silence so I can focus on my writing. Is a green cheek conure suitable for me? I just need 2 to 4 hours of silence the rest she/he can screech as loud as she/he can. I also want to know like how loud they are, because the definition of loud for every single person is different. And also to add that I have never had a parrot before so I am a beginner. I have heard that green cheek conures are cute,funny,playful, goofy ,cuddly and loving birds. Do you recommend me to get a GCC or not? If not can you recommend me other species. Thank you so much for your further recommendations!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue Mahdis :starshower1:

The thing is, you just can´t guarantee 2 hours of silence. You can´t control when they quieten down.
To help though, giving them a new toy and a few foraging activities to do will usually keep them quiet for a little while, IF the partake in it. Also, this won´t work for everyone as some birds enjoy toys and foraging so much they get excited and vocal.

Worth keeping in mind.

so I am a beginner. I have heard that green cheek conures are cute,funny,playful, goofy ,cuddly and loving birds. Do you recommend me to get a GCC or not?
I recommend the species that you study, and the bird that clicks with you :)

Mahdis

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Mahdis
Welcome to the Avenue Mahdis:starshower1:

The thing is, you just can´t guarantee 2 hours of silence. You can´t control when they quieten down.
To help though, giving them a new toy and a few foraging activities to do will usually keep them quiet for a little while, IF the partake in it. Also, this won´t work for everyone as some birds enjoy toys and foraging so much they get excited and vocal.

Worth keeping in mind.

I recommend the species that you study, and the bird that clicks with you :)
Thank you so much for the feedback. I guess chatter and vocals are fine, I don't get distrcated by them. But ,of course, I would get distracted by continous loud screeches for hours. Again thank you so much. :)

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Hi and welcome! I can that if kept busy, and having alot of fun and entertaining toys to play with this will surely help.

I am sure our conure owners will chime in to offer some good advice.

Pockets

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Welcome to the forum!

When I was in grad. school I became very familiar with "white noise" youtube channels....
As others have said, no guarantees on volume or personality when it comes to parrots. GCCs seem like cute little devils!!

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If you need guaranteed silence, a parrot is not for you. Even the quietest of birds will sometimes have a noisy day of yelling.

You may come to find chatter, squeaks, whistles and so on soothing.
You may be able to get work done after the bird goes to bed. Most birds need 12 hours of sleep a night so are awake e.g. 8am to 8pm (or whatever schedule allows them to have enough out of cage time).
You can invest in some good noise-cancelling headphones to block out some of the noise.

You may find that a different species of bird is more in line with what you're seeking - maybe a dove or small group of finches.

PierreRenoir

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mallory
Hello everyone! I hope you are doing well. I am a writer and a student but I will graduate in the next month, so I'm considering to get a Green cheek conure after quarantine. I need maximium 2 to 4 hours of silence so I can focus on my writing. Is a green cheek conure suitable for me? I just need 2 to 4 hours of silence the rest she/he can screech as loud as she/he can. I also want to know like how loud they are, because the definition of loud for every single person is different. And also to add that I have never had a parrot before so I am a beginner. I have heard that green cheek conures are cute,funny,playful, goofy ,cuddly and loving birds. Do you recommend me to get a GCC or not? If not can you recommend me other species. Thank you so much for your further recommendations!
I can only speak from my personal experience with Pierre. But he is never, ever quiet for 1-2 hours a day unless he is sleeping, or unless I am with him. Sometimes being in the same room is enough for him, sometimes it's not. Sometimes he wants to be let out of the cage during this time. And sometimes, not even that is enough, and he'll just have a screaming outburst out of nowhere for no reason even while he's out of his cage, playing, because he's excited or because he just wants to hear his own voice. Sigh.