• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Wits End - Health/Behavioral Concerns

WillowQ

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
I have some ideas after spending a lot of time in research. It's a behavior called Anting and I can substitute the options available and start there.
Bits of herb, ash, or pine sawdust maybe? Unscented clay cat litter? Or maybe more baths and preening?

Aestatis

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Random thought: do you think your tiel is dustier or less dusty than other tiels? Curious since the theory is that the behavior is anting. You would think dusty birds wouldn't have an inclination for it. I never thought there would be individual variation to dustiness, but I've noticed my rescue tiel is significantly dustier than my first.

FlockMomma

Moving in
Random thought: do you think your tiel is dustier or less dusty than other tiels? Curious since the theory is that the behavior is anting. You would think dusty birds wouldn't have an inclination for it. I never thought there would be individual variation to dustiness, but I've noticed my rescue tiel is significantly dustier than my first.
She does have a fair amount of dust. I bathe her often as she needs since she's less fond of misting we use the shower. I also use an Aloe spray for her plumage and feet to promote the dander reduction and it works pretty well. When I first got her she could cake a room in dander from one puff up. The baby isn't nearly as dusty as she is but also gets dry skin so I'm working on them now too.

FlockMomma

Moving in
Bits of herb, ash, or pine sawdust maybe? Unscented clay cat litter? Or maybe more baths and preening?
Thinking more baths and preening but sadly right now she can't get super wet. Her Gram is back to normal and her check up went very well, so did the babies but we are looking at some long term management that is hard for me to swallow as mom. Not everything has been resolved but we have to tread very lightly.