• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What do your budgies eat?

CGrillo

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Claudia Grillo
I’m curious to know what everyone here feeds their budgies day to day, weekly, etc. Can anyone recommend some seeds or foods they swear by? Right now I feed Luke Natural Select Parakeet Diet but trying to add some zupreem fruit blend pellets to his diet. Here and there he will get veggies but right now I’m monitoring his poop still because of his antibiotic recovery so not much veggies at the moment.

Not sure if the natural select is a good brand but it has no artificial dyes in it or anything, which I like. I used to feed him Dr Harvey’s and I think that’s what made him sick so I’m staying clear from that.

What are your birdies eating? :D

budgieluv3

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Bear (It's a nickname)
Right now, I feed chop most of the day, then at night, I feed a mix of seeds and pellets. I feed the Living world budgie premium seeds and the tropican small lifetime pellets.

JewellBird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Miranda
I feed my budgies Lafebers Premium Daily Diet for Parakeets pellets, and a little bit of seed mix that my local bird store makes and sells. They also get vegetable chop every morning. For treats they get fresh fruit, Lafebers nutriberries and millet spray.

JewellBird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Miranda
I tried to get Luke to eat Lafebers but he doesn’t think it’s food and just pushes it to the side of the dish or throws it on the flooro_O

I need to get into giving him chop what do you like to include in yours?
It depends on what I find at the store, I always try to switch it up a bit so they don't get tired of it and so they get plenty of different types of veggies. Here is a link with information on what you can put in your chop: My Chop "Recipe"

Maggiebird

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Sally
I’m feeding my budgie pellets every morning and a small amount of seeds in the afternoon. He eats chop for breakfast then also in the afternoon he gets his favorite healthy foods like lettuce or boiled eggs, and for dinner he gets whatever veggies we have in the fridge lol.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Wow. Just realised how much I'm spoiling my flock.
My seed mix is Hagen Gourmet, which includes a lot of other nice stuff. They have that for an hour in the morning and an hour before lights out.
During the day they have free access to Hagen Tropican pellets, Zupreem Natural pellets, Top' s pellets and Zupreem Smart Selects.
At lunchtime, or when I come back from work in the afternoon they get their chop and a piece of fruit.
Of course they get millet but only as rewards.
They eat better than me!! :crycry2:

CGrillo

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Claudia Grillo
I wrote That Luke eats “Natural Select” and the seed I use is actually called “Healthy Select” :wacky:

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I wrote That Luke eats “Natural Select” and the seed I use is actually called “Healthy Select” :wacky:
The only place I've found that for sale is Petco. It actually looks pretty good at a quick glance as it's not just seed and is fully fortified. Good start.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My boys eat a chop of veggies, sprouts, cooked grains, and cooked legumes in the mornings, and a mix of TOPPS pellets and seed in the evenings. They get training treats, and various leafy greens or veggies hung in their cage during the day. Sometimes fruit, but they don’t like much by way of fruit—which always seemed odd to me, lol!

CGrillo

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Claudia Grillo
I typically only give luke organic veggies and wash them under cold water. How do you wash your birds veggies? For myself I use white vinegar to clean them but I know that’s not safe for him.

BirdWorld

I feed my budgies Lafebers Premium Daily Diet for Parakeets pellets, and a little bit of seed mix that my local bird store makes and sells. They also get vegetable chop every morning. For treats they get fresh fruit, Lafebers nutriberries and millet spray.
I actually do exactly the same thing, but I give them vegetables whole instead of chop, they won't eat it if it's all mixed together. :huh:

Mybluebird

Real Name
Anne
My two guys get chop in the morning. I give them a freeze dried chop, sometimes with freeze dried sprouts on top. They wouldn't eat fresh chop - I don't think they like "wet" stuff. In the morning they also get sprouts which I make myself from organic grass seeds. They also get wheat grass or a mixture of wheat, rye, flax that I grow myself. I also put an herb like basil, oregano, dill, cilantro in their cage. Around noon I give them a mixture of Volkman parakeet seed and the new Lafeber pellets. Right now only Buddy is eating the pellets but I hope that Tweetie will nibble them soon.

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Kassiani, parrots can eat legumes? That's very good to know. Lots of species can't (besides humans). I love legumes!