• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Eclectus advice

jh81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
Hello @Omar1234 welcome to these forums!

Taking the time to ask your questions here, listning and responding to other people's advise means you will be a very responsible bird owner! You are allready on your way to give your new friends the best life they deserve :)

Omar1234

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Omar Salovski
Wow thanks ! You guys are the best!!!! Seriously thanks everyone im gonna read through that for a while. Since you all have been so helpful I'll answer all the questions that you have asked above.
yes I'm still in high school . 18yrs old just now starting the 2nd semester of my senior year.
I am VERY new to birds, parrots, and most other animals except for my dogs.. (my dogs shouldn't be a threat because they're very tiny yorkies) Paco and Chula are used to much larger dogs I heard they used to ride on the back of their previous owners dog.
Paco has a bigger cage, but for some reason he doesn't go inside his cage. He has a perch his perches arent too big but they aren't small either.. they aren't slippery like doll rods because they seem more rugged and less smooth.
Thank you everyone I didn't expect so many people to help me so quickly :) thanks everyone. Im sure I'll have more questions but for now I'll study the answers ya'll have already given me.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Even though your dogs are tiny, please be cautious. Accidents happen so fast. Youtube and places like that always have videos of dogs and birds seemingly getting along great but dogs are predators and birds are prey and instinct says they shouldn't be friends.

I think you're doing a great job already with your birds. :)

jh81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
I agree!

I have a dog thats 21 years old, never bitten a child or harmed znother animal, but still, they are animals who live by instinct and not by reason like humans do, so you can never be too careful when it comes to that :)

On the other hand, my dogs and cat are scared of my birds, so they wouldn't go near unless shizz happens hehehe

EkkieLuv

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Leslie
:iagree: We have 4 dogs, all small terrier mixes of some sort. We also foster for a dog rescue. It's not worth it to assume and we rarely have the birds out when the dogs are loose in the house. If we do, it's under very close supervision and we never let them interact. Don't take any chances, especially if Chula and Paco are not strong flyers and can't get away!

Omar1234

Real Name
Omar Salovski
Wow lincee!! 21 years old! Geez that's the oldest dog I've ever heard of, what kind is he?
Thank you Ekkie , I have been telling my dogs (Jack and Birdie) "No! Jack, No birdie!" Every time they get too close to the bird cages..
Hopefully Paco and Chula will learn to say "No dogs!" When the dogs are bothering
them.
Thank you all very much for the help and support. I'm starting to really like this community. I'll post pictures of all my adorable animals once I get home :) have a good day guys. I would appreciate any additional information :)

Omar1234

Real Name
Omar Salovski
This is Paco, he's on tip of his cage , you can't see Chula too well because she goes in her cage when I come close. She likes my mom, but I'm trying to slowly warm up to her.
I also want to get her a bigger cage, she has less room than Paco but sometimes she goes on top of Paco's cage .
I hung these plastic chains up outside of their cage because they are new toys and I heard that they should get used to new toys first before I put them inside their cages..

Attachments

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Pretty birds! :)