• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Wet Droppings Need Advice!!

Mybluebird

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Anne
Yes, that makes good sense. I think I recall @Mizzely saying something about prebiotics for birds. Just like you when you've been on an antibiotic, it kills all bacteria good and bad. You want to repopulate your system with good bacteria and a prebiotic does that. If you can get your hands on some that's made for birds, its a good idea to give him some.

CGrillo

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Claudia Grillo
Yes, that makes good sense. I think I recall @Mizzely saying something about prebiotics for birds. Just like you when you've been on an antibiotic, it kills all bacteria good and bad. You want to repopulate your system with good bacteria and a prebiotic does that. If you can get your hands on some that's made for birds, its a good idea to give him some.
do you think it makes sense for him to go on antibiotics again after being off of it for 3 days? I don’t know if it’s watery because he was just getting off the meds or if he actually needs them. Also would I give him the prebiotic with the antibiotic ?

CGrillo

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Claudia Grillo
do you think it makes sense for him to go on antibiotics again after being off of it for 3 days? I don’t know if it’s watery because he was just getting off the meds or if he actually needs them. Also would I give him the prebiotic with the antibiotic ?
I almost feel like just giving him the probiotics and not resuming the antibiotic but I don’t know what makes the most sense.

Mybluebird

Real Name
Anne
How is the Tylan administered - drops in his beak, drops added to his water...?
His infection was tested as "moderate". Can you take new droppings in to the vet for testing to compare with the previous test?
Antibiotics are tough on the system, whether bird or human. You can feed pre/probiotics along with antibiotics. The antibiotic will just kill off some of the prebiotic.
How "watery" are the droppings now compared to previously?
You know Luke and see how he is behaving so it difficult for us to say if he should have antibiotics again. Sometimes if the antibiotic is not effective, more can be prescribed. In your first post you said that the vet would recommend a different antibiotic if the Tylan didn't seem to work. Is he now saying you should continue with the Tylan?

@Lady Jane @Mizzely @PoukieBear @Ripshod @Shezbug @Mizzely @Zara

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Did the vet do a culture and sensatiity test? This would tell the vet which antibiotic would be effective for killing the germs present. Just as a side note I was on antibiotics for 26 days in a row from ruptured appendix. It took a good 5 months to get my gut back to reasonable function. For a tiny bird I imagine it would be a fight also.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I know nothing about the antibiotics and I would also never recommend anything other than either following the vets recommendation or finding a new vet for a second opinion.

CGrillo

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Claudia Grillo
How is the Tylan administered - drops in his beak, drops added to his water...?
His infection was tested as "moderate". Can you take new droppings in to the vet for testing to compare with the previous test?
Antibiotics are tough on the system, whether bird or human. You can feed pre/probiotics along with antibiotics. The antibiotic will just kill off some of the prebiotic.
How "watery" are the droppings now compared to previously?
You know Luke and see how he is behaving so it difficult for us to say if he should have antibiotics again. Sometimes if the antibiotic is not effective, more can be prescribed. In your first post you said that the vet would recommend a different antibiotic if the Tylan didn't seem to work. Is he now saying you should continue with the Tylan?

@Lady Jane @Mizzely @PoukieBear @Ripshod @Shezbug @Mizzely @Zara
It is administered by putting “a pinch” of it in the water. But that’s exactly how I feel. I don’t want to just keep putting him on the antibiotics if he doesn’t need it anymore but I’m not sure if he does or not. He had some good droppings this afternoon but still some wet ones but there is some improvement since yesterday. I have been considering giving another sample to the vet just to see but I might wait a couple days or even call the vet again and decide because the gram stain is very costly. The vet wanted me to continue using the Tylan instead of using a different medication which he suggested originally. I definitely want to get the probiotics I just didn’t know if it was safe to mix two different “meds” together. I’ll attach updates of his droppings. One photo is from this morning and the other is from this afternoon.

Attachments

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Probiotics should be given a few hours after antibiotics, or the antibiotics will kill them before they can reach the gut

CGrillo

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Claudia Grillo
Did the vet do a culture and sensatiity test? This would tell the vet which antibiotic would be effective for killing the germs present. Just as a side note I was on antibiotics for 26 days in a row from ruptured appendix. It took a good 5 months to get my gut back to reasonable function. For a tiny bird I imagine it would be a fight also.
the vet did not do those tests on him. how would those tests be done? Would I need to bring him again in person. It’s hard to tell if it’s still present or if he is just trying to recover from the antibiotics

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Since your bird has recently been on antibiotics a culture and sensitivity test may not be accurate. This test really should be done ideally before antibiotics are prescribed.

CGrillo

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Claudia Grillo
I spoke to the doctor again and he said I can put his Tylan antibiotic in the food and put his probiotics in his water. I think I’m going to pick up the oasis live and well probiotic at petco. Does that seem like a good suggestion to any of you?

Mybluebird

Real Name
Anne
His droppings don't look too bad to me, yes a little wet but the color is good. I would follow your vet's recommendation. The problem with any med that is put in water is that you can never be sure how much they get. That might be why your vet wants to continue treatment. Its good he's chipper and playing.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I have to agree with @Mybluebird, those poops look good to me. The faces are solid with a good colour. There's a good a mount of urates and there's urine. What's wrong with that?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Putting medication in food is not really the best way to administer. First because the bird may not finish the amound of food or water in the dish. The medications become diluted. Did you check with the vet on ACV - apple cider vinegar? It is not unusual to put it in a budgies drinking water for a few days each month. Just in case you decide to do this find unfiltered ACV. I will not look clear. Bragg i a good brand. Then measure out a quart of water with 2 tsp. of the vinegar. Giving it to him each day until gone. Keep the quart in refrigerator as you use it up. I did this on a monthly basis for general GI health as a prophylaxis.

CGrillo

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Claudia Grillo
I have to agree with @Mybluebird, those poops look good to me. The faces are solid with a good colour. There's a good a mount of urates and there's urine. What's wrong with that?
They are just really really watery. They look so much better than they did before antibiotics but wetness From before is still there. I emailed pictures to the vet and I honestly don’t know why he would want me to give him antibiotic but like @Mybluebird said it could be just to make sure the infection is gone for sure. I asked if I could use ACV or store probiotic and he said to use the store probiotic.

CGrillo

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Claudia Grillo
Putting medication in food is not really the best way to administer. First because the bird may not finish the amound of food or water in the dish. The medications become diluted. Did you check with the vet on ACV - apple cider vinegar? It is not unusual to put it in a budgies drinking water for a few days each month. Just in case you decide to do this find unfiltered ACV. I will not look clear. Bragg i a good brand. Then measure out a quart of water with 2 tsp. of the vinegar. Giving it to him each day until gone. Keep the quart in refrigerator as you use it up. I did this on a monthly basis for general GI health as a prophylaxis.
Before he got sick I would give him ACV. But when I asked if I should use probiotics from the pet store or ACV the doctor said to try probiotics from the store. The only probiotic I could find has to be added to water so he told me to put The antibiotic in the food (I was originally only doing the antibiotic and putting it in his water) but I think the purpose of this round of antibiotics is just to make sure it’s gone.

CGrillo

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Claudia Grillo
hi again everyone!
Luke is still on his second round of antibiotics, (today is day 6) and yesterday I noticed he had a small white spot on his tongue and today it looks a little bigger. I wanted to call the vet but yet again they are closed on the weekends so I will have to wait until tomorrow :confused: This happened once before and I gave him ACV and it fixed him right up the next day but he is still on his antibiotics and I don’t think it can be mixed with them. I put him on probiotics as well. Any advice?

Attachments