• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Nail Clipping Safety Tips?

EarthToEcho

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Medoh
My bird Medoh's nails really need a trimming and while I could go to a vet, he just gets so nervous and shaky when we do that I'm worried for his health. I can do them at home (I have styptic powder and also used to clip dogs nails at my job so I know about the quick and how much to cut off). Is there anything else I can do to make it safer for him? I don't want to stress him out, but he needs a nail clipping to be healthy too.
Thank you!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
If you really want to clip nails at home then start teaching him to lift his foot into your hand for a reward. Some people train their birds to let them clip nails. That way its not as stressful. Try corn starch because it does not burn.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
File them instead. If you cut to much it's not sure that you can stop the bleeding and you will need a avian vet ASAP.
To cut = Always use a avian vet or make sure you don't have far to one and that the clinic is open.
Ask @Macawnutz how to clip can be your worst nightmare.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
For me the birds were very stressed out with filing the tips and it did not last very long.

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
For me the birds were very stressed out with filing the tips and it did not last very long.
I file them every month and it's enough. If you train them it isn't stressful at all.
I will never cut them, I'm not taking the risk of loosing them. (and that is only with black claws)

EarthToEcho

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Medoh
File them instead. If you cut to much it's not sure that you can stop the bleeding and you will need a avian vet ASAP.
To cut = Always use a avian vet or make sure you don't have far to one and that the clinic is open.
Ask @Macawnutz how to clip can be your worst nightmare.
I'm pretty confident in not cutting too much off, I used to groom dogs (which yes is different, but they both have quicks)

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I'm pretty confident in not cutting too much off,
How do you know that when you not can see the pulp?
The pulp can be 2 mm from the tip or 10 mm, but you never know until it's to late..

Perriewinkle

Rollerblading along the road
Get a course glass nail file for human nails.. file dont cut. It takes a lil longer, but tend to have less issues

EarthToEcho

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Medoh
How do you know that when you not can see the pulp?
The pulp can be 2 mm from the tip or 10 mm, but you never know until it's to late..
Taking of the tip can give you a good indication on where it is, there will be a black circle where the quick is and you can tell how close or far you are. Even then. just tipping the nails is safe. I wouldn't do it if I wasn't 100% sure .

EarthToEcho

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Medoh
Get a course glass nail file for human nails.. file dont cut. It takes a lil longer, but tend to have less issues
I'll have to try sometime! It's normally pretty difficult for him to stay in one place for long

WeasleyLover

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Maddy
I trim my 3 conure's nails myself. My three girls are all pretty good good about laying on their back in my hand, so it is a quick and easy process. They usually don't wiggle, so I can do it by myself. If your bird wiggles a lot, I would have someone else hold him for you while you trim his nails. I just trim the sharp tips as needed, I never go far down. It also helps that my girlies all have light nails, so I can see their quicks.

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Taking of the tip can give you a good indication on where it is, there will be a black circle where the quick is and you can tell how close or far you are.
How?

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I clip all of mine. The finches seem to grow a whole new length overnight. :D

The light colored ones are of course easier, on the dark ones I take just the tips. If you are trimming on a regular basis that will be enough. @Eloy I have never had one that was only 2mm away, usually much more. I have never quicked a dark nail but I have quicked a Gouldian finch when it moved its foot just as I clipped (light colored nail).

@Lady Jane LOVE that video. Thank you for sharing! I'm going to start that training right away. I have to towel the tiels, pionus and parrotlet, the little burrito boy, but trimming like this would be so easy.

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I have never had one that was only 2mm away, usually much more. I have never quicked a dark nail but I have quicked a Gouldian finch when it moved its foot just as I clipped (light colored nail).
Akelas is. And it can start bleeding when I file too. If you cut that claw and cut right in the pulp it will never stop bleeding. That is why I always recommend to never cut a dark claw yourself because birds has so little blood and it can kill them.