• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My bird wont eat

Pip and Gracie

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
graziella
I got my bird from the shelter about a day and a half ago and she hasn't eaten since then. I put some millet and some yogurt bird treats to try to entice her but she hasn't really eaten it. I'm getting worried and I'm wondering if anyone has any tips on getting parakeets to eat.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What was the shelter feeding her? New birds can be stressed and scared and might not eat at first. Sometimes feeding a new bird a food that they are used to can help. Have you tried sitting next to her while you are eating?

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
It took one of my birds two days to eat after I got her, so hopefully your bird will start to eat soon. Make sure you’re feeding her the same food she was eating before you got her. How old is she?

Pip and Gracie

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
graziella
It took one of my birds two days to eat after I got her, so hopefully your bird will start to eat soon. Make sure you’re feeding her the same food she was eating before you got her. How old is she?
she is about 1 year old and Im feeding her the same food as the shelter. I brought the food up to her and she sifts through it but doesnt eat any.

Pip and Gracie

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
graziella
What was the shelter feeding her? New birds can be stressed and scared and might not eat at first. Sometimes feeding a new bird a food that they are used to can help. Have you tried sitting next to her while you are eating?
the shelter was feeding her and I tried to bring the food to see if that would compel her to eat, she just sifted through it and didnt really eat. I brought the water up to her and she drank. I don't know why she isn't going down to eat or drink though.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
the shelter was feeding her and I tried to bring the food to see if that would compel her to eat, she just sifted through it and didnt really eat. I brought the water up to her and she drank. I don't know why she isn't going down to eat or drink though.
She is probably scared and stressed. When I got my YNA, Shannon, she ate very little to nothing for several days AND I knew her since she was a baby. Didn't matter. She was stressed about being in a new place and was not a "happy camper".

Pip and Gracie

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
graziella
She is probably scared and stressed. When I got my YNA, Shannon, she ate very little to nothing for several days AND I knew her since she was a baby. Didn't matter. She was stressed about being in a new place and was not a "happy camper".
lol okay, ill wait it out and hopefully she eats.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
:chin: Maybe she isn't comfortable being lower in the cage yet. Can you raise the food and water up to her? Our green cheek Scott still stays in only the top half of his cage.

Pip and Gracie

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
graziella
:chin: Maybe she isn't comfortable being lower in the cage yet. Can you raise the food and water up to her? Our green cheek Scott still stays in only the top half of his cage.
I raised it up about an hour ago, she picked at the food but still no eating.

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Is her poop normal? If it is, then she's eating more than you realize.

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Then she has to be eating some.

Milestone

Sprinting down the street
Agree. If her poop is normal and consistent then she must be eating. Does she eat seeds or pellets? If seeds, try to blow on them and see if any husks fly off. Then you'll definitely know.

tynox

Checking out the neighborhood
since she is so new that is normal

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
How is you bird doing now?