• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is this a good diet for budgies?

AmandaFitz

Moving in
Real Name
Amanda Fitzgerald
Hi everyone,
I am looking for some advice regarding my budgies’ diets. I give them ZuPreem fruit blend pelleted food as a daily diet staple. Once or twice a week I will give them a commercial seed blend as a treat, as well as some spray millet. My real questions regard what I prepare for them: Daily, I give them a blend of red bell peppers, cucumber, kale, carrots, whole grain bread, and cooked egg (with shell.) Is this a complete and healthy diet for parakeets? Is there anything I should be adding in? Thank you so very much!!

orphansparrow

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara
Welcome! I don't know about Budgie diets, but plenty of people here do. Sounds like you are putting lots of thought into it - which is great!
Glad to have you here. :)

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Leave out egg shells unless you are buying the shells that are sterilized and pulverized to be a salt like consistency. The shells can be sharp and hurt the crop if we are crushing them. Also I would not feed an egg daily, more like once a week. Birds can get too much protein. The veggies you listed are good. Some others are carrots, sweet potato, broccoli and grate squash. You can also make birdie breads and include many nutritious foods. I buy a mix on Amazon and my birds really like it.

I do not feed fruit blend dry foods because of the added dyes. I feed Dr. Harveys Parakeet blend and Harrison's extra fine pellets which I mix with the seed blend.

lynne5

Sitting on the front steps
Leave out egg shells unless you are buying the shells that are sterilized and pulverized to be a salt like consistency. The shells can be sharp and hurt the crop if we are crushing them. Also I would not feed an egg daily, more like once a week. Birds can get too much protein. The veggies you listed are good. Some others are carrots, sweet potato, broccoli and grate squash. You can also make birdie breads and include many nutritious foods. I buy a mix on Amazon and my birds really like it.

I do not feed fruit blend dry foods because of the added dyes. I feed Dr. Harveys Parakeet blend and Harrison's extra fine pellets which I mix with the seed blend.
@Lady Jane, which Birdy Bread mix do you buy on Amazon?