• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I need some advice on a neglected baby budgie I received

Britnicorn

Jogging around the block
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
Since I started giving Phoenix seeds, he refuses to eat pellets now. He’ll go through the bowl and pick out all the seeds, spitting out all the pellets, and if I fill up the bowl with only pellets he just won’t eat at all. How can I get him to eat pellets again? I even tried soaking them like how I used to, but he still won’t eat them :(

Snowghost

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Terri
Ugg converting birds to pellets is out of my skill set. I just got Paco back on Nutri Berries and some pellets. I got the wrong size, (smaller ones) and he won't eat them. I will follow this thread for suggestions.

Britnicorn

Jogging around the block
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
Ugg converting birds to pellets is out of my skill set. I just got Paco back on Nutri Berries and some pellets. I got the wrong size, (smaller ones) and he won't eat them. I will follow this thread for suggestions.
Good luck with him! I read to put pellets in a separate bowl in the cage, and once they start poking at them then start slowly mixing a few into their seeds so they get used to seeing them and eventually they should try them. I just skipped that first step with Phoenix since he does poke them, but he immediately spits them out to look for seed. I also added more seeds than pellets now(before I was only adding about a pinch of seed mixed with a small handful of pellets) because I don’t want him to starve. I might try a different brand if he keeps refusing these pellets, but he used to like them... so strange

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Lol.

Sounds to me like he’s worked out the seed is yummier and also fattier- when watching birds in the wild, they’ll always go for the highest calorie foods first.

Wait and see what Zara recommends but I’d be guessing she’ll say something like offer pellets first and seed after pellets or less seed more pellet in the dish.