• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I need some advice on a neglected baby budgie I received

Britnicorn

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
If he had been eating adult foods, be sure you see him drinking water.

I saw someone else mention cozy corners. I got one for my youngest (because he´s alone), and he snuggles with it every night. He has finessed it so it´s like an ¨r ¨ shape where he´s pulled the top down, then he scoots right up and snuggles in. You have to watch that it isn´t being chewed, but your little guy might like having one to sleep with .
I got mine here; Prevue Cozy Corner Snuggler Small (assorted colors)
(and I see they´re on sale 50% off)
Awesome!!! I’ll have to get one of those, thanks! I also do see him drinking water a few times a day, so I bet he does it more when I’m not looking.

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
You know that liquid part in bird poop? Right now Phoenix’s liquid part looks like milk... I have no idea what that means. Kinda gross o_O

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
He only ate about 1-2mL of his formula before he started spitting it out again. I ended up putting in a plate of seeds and pellets and he was so excited for it. Should I start giving him formula less often again?

Gigibirds

Yes! It looks like he's just about at that age where they refuse to eat the formula! (If he is all healthy, with no dietary problems, then) try only giving him formula when he cries for it, but otherwise just let him eat solid food! If he doesn't want formula, he simply will not eat it! Don't try to force it!! (but if you start giving him less formula remember to monitor his weight (but they do start losing weight as they learn to fly, so some weight loss is normal))

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
Yes! It looks like he's just about at that age where they refuse to eat the formula! (If he is all healthy, with no dietary problems, then) try only giving him formula when he cries for it, but otherwise just let him eat solid food! If he doesn't want formula, he simply will not eat it! Don't try to force it!! (but if you start giving him less formula remember to monitor his weight (but they do start losing weight as they learn to fly, so some weight loss is normal))
Yeah he’s already started losing a couple grams, he’s flying a lot though so I’m not worried about it. I’ll see what the vet thinks about letting him completely switch over, I may just try feeding him formula in the morning and at night

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
Gosh I feel so bad. I’ve been trying to train Phoenix to come to my finger when I call him, and he’s been doing pretty good at it but we had never tried farther than a foot away. He had flown up to my shelf where I can’t reach (it’s safe up there, my dad is 6’5 and builds everything in the house for his height instead of everyone else’s :roflmao: ) usually I climb up and get Phoenix since he seems scared, but this time I tried calling him to my finger. He stood there, fidgeting like he was psyching himself up for it, then he tried. He flew to my finger, but he missed and flew a few feet behind me and into the wall and crashed. He seems fine, but sheesh poor guy. At least he tried:heart:

DesertBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Gosh I feel so bad. I’ve been trying to train Phoenix to come to my finger when I call him, and he’s been doing pretty good at it but we had never tried farther than a foot away. He had flown up to my shelf where I can’t reach (it’s safe up there, my dad is 6’5 and builds everything in the house for his height instead of everyone else’s :roflmao: ) usually I climb up and get Phoenix since he seems scared, but this time I tried calling him to my finger. He stood there, fidgeting like he was psyching himself up for it, then he tried. He flew to my finger, but he missed and flew a few feet behind me and into the wall and crashed. He seems fine, but sheesh poor guy. At least he tried:heart:
Aww, poor guy. Sounds like he really needs to work on his landings! It's great that he came when you called him though. :)

conureluv

Sprinting down the street
Sometimes our birds are little scaredy-cats for a “fly” no farther than two inches....other times they surprise you. If I hold out millet my little guy will fly two feet for it!

(mentioning that my gcc is clipped here will get some bad backlash like before, it wasn’t my choice and I won’t clip him if anyone gives me the option. :) )

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
Sometimes our birds are little scaredy-cats for a “fly” no farther than two inches....other times they surprise you. If I hold out millet my little guy will fly two feet for it!

(mentioning that my gcc is clipped here will get some bad backlash like before, it wasn’t my choice and I won’t clip him if anyone gives me the option. :) )
Phoenix definitely gets scared when he lands too high up, which is so funny because he put himself there :roflmao: I haven’t been offering him treats when I do it, he’s happy with pets, but maybe I should start! He goes crazy for millet.

He’s also starting to fly so good. He flies out of his cage when I open the door. He’s pretty good at landing most of the time, but sometimes he misses and crashes. He hasn’t crashed badly yet luckily.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
try only giving him formula when he cries for it
No.
Drop one feeding again.
So morning noon and night. If he doesn´t eat much, reduce it to morning and night in a few days.

At this point be sure you´re offering his some veggies etc that you would like him to eat as an adult. Having water available all the time now.

As he weans and weighs less, he will get better at moving around the cage and won´t fall so hard. Once he´s able to soften falls by flapping, he can go into the big cage. You can leave a blanket lining the cage floor for a little while if you want in case he falls in his sleep.

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
No.
Drop one feeding again.
So morning noon and night. If he doesn´t eat much, reduce it to morning and night in a few days.

At this point be sure you´re offering his some veggies etc that you would like him to eat as an adult. Having water available all the time now.

As he weans and weighs less, he will get better at moving around the cage and won´t fall so hard. Once he´s able to soften falls by flapping, he can go into the big cage. You can leave a blanket lining the cage floor for a little while if you want in case he falls in his sleep.
Okay! Thanks! He seems to eat the formula fine in the mornings, he just doesn’t want it farther into the day.

I’m not completely familiar with good budgie diets. What other greens could I give him? The only veggies he’s had is peas and carrots. He’s eating his seeds and pellets super well, I ended up giving him half a teaspoon of pellets and half a teaspoon of seed and left it in the cage for him.

Also when do you think I could put his food and water into real bowls? The food being on a little plate-thing is okay, but his water is constantly getting dirty from him walking through it while he plays and I’m afraid he’ll start avoiding it a lot through the day since I can only catch it so much

(He’s also got his vet appointment in about an hour, wish us luck!)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
What other greens could I give him?
I like to pick things from this list;

Put a normal water bowl in, same for food now he´s eating them.

Hope everything goes smoothly at the vet :)

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
Oh my gosh!! I’m crying tears of joy!!

Phoenix was only in the vet for about 10 minutes, usually it takes them at least an hour so I was very surprised. The vet said Phoenix looks so good, and the vet was shocked by how much progress Phoenix made. He said the crop is still a little bit bigger than normal but it’s went down over half in size since last week. He said we don’t need another appointment, and I can quit the antibiotics. I’m so proud of my little Phoenix! :heart: :yah:

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
Here’s a video of Phoenix flying to me! I used to just hold out a finger but I realized he’s more comfortable with me holding out both hands for a bigger landing pad.
(he’s on a little make shift perch I made him with an old phone stand and some self adhesive bandage for grip...also ignore my messy desk :roflmao: )

MR. Mango

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
So cuuuute, I think I have the same stand with the ball toy! :lol:

DesertBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Here’s a video of Phoenix flying to me! I used to just hold out a finger but I realized he’s more comfortable with me holding out both hands for a bigger landing pad.
(he’s on a little make shift perch I made him with an old phone stand and some self adhesive bandage for grip...also ignore my messy desk :roflmao: )
Wow! He's doing so well!