• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I need some advice on a neglected baby budgie I received

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I bet you have made a chronological photo album for memories.

Britnicorn

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
Phoenix was attacking the little dot for awhile before I started recording. Super cute!!

007BAF7D-904F-494A-8C6E-66D82B874347.jpeg
Here’s him squaring up with my phone camera :lol:

65F3EC54-355A-4555-94BD-7EFACBA6EA62.jpeg
He’s got such pretty eyes:heart:

Also, he’s starting to reject the lunch time feeding now. Do you guys think it’s safe to start feeding him twice a day, every 12 hours now?

He eats by himself pretty well (he’s still mainly eating the grass seeds and a few other things in that seed mix, luckily it’s not all seeds in there so it’s not extremely bad) but he mostly only eats when he’s out with me (from the bowl of course) but it’d make sense because he’s out of the cage with me almost all hours of the day (9am-10pm). He only goes back in a few times a day when I need to leave the room, but he plays with himself in the cage too. I actually woke up to him this morning ringing one of his bells, and he stopped as soon as I grabbed my phone (I think he was actually trying to wake me up! :roflmao:)

I also have no idea how much water he’s actually drinking. He’s only one little budgie, who’s still on formula, so I’m not sure how much water he needs. His poops are watery in the mornings, so I think he drinks water before I get up, they get drier throughout the day. I do see him get water occasionally, but it’s mainly only when I put him on the perch that’s next to the water bowl. I have gotten him from the cage with a wet beak sometimes so he does drink the water by himself. I’m only worried because the water levels look more or less the same, maybe only slightly lower, every time I change it (I change it in the mornings and at night). Do you think it’s okay?

Sorry for all the questions and concerns, I’ve never even had a bird before and so much has already went wrong with this little guy even though it’s only been 6 weeks!

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
Ohh and for anyone wondering, he’s stopped crashing! He’s actually really good at flying now. He takes his time placing his feet to see if he can land, and if he can’t he’ll fly somewhere else and try and land there. He bumps into walls still, but nothing major.

He also flies when he gets super excited now. It’s crazy when he flies out of excitement, you can just see the crazy burst of energy as he zips around the room, it’s like how a bug flies :roflmao:
He does this thing, too, where he flies around me in one circle, lands on my shoulder, then will do it again over and over a few times until he gets bored of it. I’m not sure what it is but it’s cute! :lol::heart:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
he’s starting to reject the lunch time feeding now. Do you guys think it’s safe to start feeding him twice a day, every 12 hours now?
He eats by himself pretty well
Yes, feed twice, be sure to offer adult foods after both formula feeds and have food available (pellets) all day in the cage.

I’m only worried because the water levels look more or less the same, maybe only slightly lower, every time I change it (I change it in the mornings and at night). Do you think it’s okay?
Sometimes a pair of my lovebirds water seems to be the same when I go back to change it. They´re only little so only drink little.
In the summer the water will go down quicker as it evaporates, your bird drinks more , and may even bathe in the bowl.
As long as the poops look good, then he is getting enough water.

DesertBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
I’m only worried because the water levels look more or less the same, maybe only slightly lower, every time I change it (I change it in the mornings and at night). Do you think it’s okay?
You won't see the water level go down. Budgies don't drink very much, so you won't notice a difference.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I found that by the time I get to two feeds, they like having the first feed a little later on, sort of just before mid day rather than first thing in the morning.

I don´t know if that will be the case for you, but maybe you could try pushing the first feeding a little later. Start with just an hour later then take it from there.

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
I found that by the time I get to two feeds, they like having the first feed a little later on, sort of just before mid day rather than first thing in the morning.

I don´t know if that will be the case for you, but maybe you could try pushing the first feeding a little later. Start with just an hour later then take it from there.
I actually didn’t try feeding him until 10 because it was 12 hours after his previous feedings. He ended up taking some formula a few minutes after I made that post but it wasn’t much, probably only about 2-3mL

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
I noticed today that after my bird has a crazy flight (when he’s super excited and flies around the room sporadically) and he comes back to me I can hear him breathing for a second or two, it kind of sounds like quiet panting. Is this normal?
Edit: I’m not sure if it’s something he’s always done or not, he only started really flying like this yesterday (he flies for a few minutes at a time now), before it was only short bursts and he was done

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
BCD71BF5-04D2-4E9F-9829-04CADA030C76.jpeg
He really liked today’s chop... it has sweet potatoes, mango, butternut squash, carrots, cauliflower, broccoli, green beans, chick peas, quinoa, steel cut oats, and some of his pellets. It took him awhile to try it, but once he did he went crazy over it.
(Everything was cooked except the oats)

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
That chop !ooks wonderful. I would feed that first before the fresh seed bowl. Have you hung any leafy greens in the cage?
I did not feed fresh parsley too often but mine loved to play around in the parsley because it was wet. Also ate some of course.

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
Have you hung any leafy greens in the cage?
Not yet, I was going to buy some kale today but I couldn’t find any at my local grocery store, do you think I could hang romaine lettuce instead?
If you go for a run doesn't it make you pant? It's natural.
It sure does :roflmao: Just making sure, thank you!

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
Ooo! I had the seed/pellet mix bowl on my bed because Phoenix is sitting here with me while I’m studying(it’s all spilled out across my bed :shifty::roflmao:) but I caught him eating some of his pellets! It seems like he’s getting better at eating the hard stuff again. I’m so relieved!

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
Gosh Phoenix gave me a heart attack this morning, when I peaked in he was asleep on the floor! I thought he was dead :unsure1:
I’m not worried about him sleeping on the floor btw, he used to do it in his smaller cage, plus it’s a pretty soft blanket on the ground I’d wanna sleep on it too :roflmao:

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
So I know it’s only been two days, but is it okay to start feeding him once a day? He only ate like half the formula yesterday morning (last night he ate it all) and this morning he didn’t eat any of it, he’d rather eat his real food