• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I need some advice on a neglected baby budgie I received

Britnicorn

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
I also put him in the big cage today because he has been trying to fly in the little one, and he was getting around really well but also seemed like he hated being stuck in there. He likes the big one a lot, it took him about an hour or two to get adjusted but now I see him flying around and playing with his toys- he also doesn’t freak out when I put him in there now like he was with the little cage (he does still fly out as soon as the cage is open :heart:)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I see my bird passing whole millet sometimes to each other, and I've seen them feed it to chicks too.

Glad he enjoying his cage!! :)

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
I see my bird passing whole millet sometimes to each other, and I've seen them feed it to chicks too.

Glad he enjoying his cage!! :)
I’m glad it’s normal :roflmao: I’ll start letting him regurgitate on me, I didn’t realize he’d take offense to it :(

I also tried giving him some chop today... I didn’t have a whole lot, it was just carrots, cauliflower, broccoli, his pellets crushed up into a powder, and some millet to try and entice him. He still wasn’t too interested, but he’d at least try a few pieces. Hopefully he’ll eat it eventually if I keep trying every morning

Alynn

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Bluebird
Try soaking the pellets, then sprinkñe some seed on top and gently press to it sticks ot the pellets.
You could try soaking seed too, so it sprouts but serve before it grows huge tail.
I actually don’t think the hull was on the seeds, but they didn’t seem like they were chewed up at all
They aren't chewed up. They deshell them and save them in there crop for digestion. It's like you gave your mom a present and then she gave it back...wouldnt make you happy.

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
FD4A3731-4956-495B-BD00-094539C0A36E.jpeg
So Phoenix just regurgitated maybe 5-8 of these seeds. There was some gooey liquid with the regurgitation, but I think it might’ve been some of the formula from earlier. It was definitely a regurgitation for me because he was giving me kisses then started doing it. These were the same seeds he was throwing up earlier, I actually can’t tell if they’re opened seeds or not. I tried to open it myself but didn’t have any luck. Should I start removing these seeds? Or is it okay?

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
I did some poking around, those seeds actually are opened and they’re one of the only seeds he’ll eat in the mix. I think they’re a grass seed but I’m not 100% sure... I hope he’s okay. He’s acting completely normal otherwise, he’s just regurgitating those seeds for me

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Gee... it's been like reading a book! Glad to finally get caught up on .the thread though I'm sure I've missed a few pages Phoenix has turned out to be quite a little beauty!!! Great job Britney!!!!!

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I did some poking around, those seeds actually are opened and they’re one of the only seeds he’ll eat in the mix. I think they’re a grass seed but I’m not 100% sure... I hope he’s okay. He’s acting completely normal otherwise, he’s just regurgitating those seeds for me
The larger seeds are easier to roll and hull in the beak. With practice he'll learn to hull the smaller seeds and start eating them too.
Just like flying they have the basic instinct to hull seeds, it just takes a little practice to get it right.

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
The larger seeds are easier to roll and hull in the beak. With practice he'll learn to hull the smaller seeds and start eating them too.
Just like flying they have the basic instinct to hull seeds, it just takes a little practice to get it right.
Yeah I did some reading and read babies usually will only eat grass seeds and millet seeds and other seeds that are easy to open, so I feel a bit better about that. I just think it might be a little concerning that he regurgitated a lot up, but I guess he only regurgitated 3 times in total today. That last one really spooked me though since so many came out, but he had just eaten a bit before

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Yeah I did some reading and read babies usually will only eat grass seeds and millet seeds and other seeds that are easy to open, so I feel a bit better about that. I just think it might be a little concerning that he regurgitated a lot up, but I guess he only regurgitated 3 times in total today. That last one really spooked me though since so many came out, but he had just eaten a bit before
Regurgitation takes practice too. As he practices he'll regurgitate to you more until he manages to bring up beakfuls.
Later in life regurgitating is an important life skill, he'll need to regurgitate for bonding within a flock and also to feed his future mate so it's important for him to get it right. It's just one of those things that will continue for the rest of his life.

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
Regurgitation takes practice too. As he practices he'll regurgitate to you more until he manages to bring up beakfuls.
Later in life regurgitating is an important life skill, he'll need to regurgitate for bonding within a flock and also to feed his future mate so it's important for him to get it right. It's just one of those things that will continue for the rest of his life.
I see. Thanks!!

Menagerie Mama

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heidi
Phoenix just radiates confidence! Look at that proud stance (lol, his slightly larger crop adds to that effect, no doubt)...it shows that he’s been taught every day how important he is. After all, Phoenix is obviously the center of his mom’s universe:swoon:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
He´s looksing great. Nice to see him interested in the veggies :)
What is the thing on your door? An alarm or a childlock? I´m just curious :lol:

Alynn

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Bluebird
View attachment 375323
Definitely making some progress today. He’d chew the chop around for awhile before spitting it out and he’s more curious about it today.
He was yelling in my ear in this pic :lol:
I Had the same problem with my Budgie and I found out I had to take a fork and chop it to almost baby food and now he eats everything as long as I chop the heck out of it. Pieces are just to big for some Budgies and some might not mind.

Alynn

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Bluebird
I Had the same problem with my Budgie and I found out I had to take a fork and chop it to almost baby food and now he eats everything as long as I chop the heck out of it. Pieces are just to big for some Budgies and some might not mind.
OH and watch out they shake their head when they are eating and if your close you will get some on ya lol.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He is just so beautiful!! What pretty colors :xflove:

And veggies just take patience and persistence...I’m working on a 21 yo conure! Lol!