• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I need some advice on a neglected baby budgie I received

Britnicorn

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
Hi! For some context, one of my family friends started breeding her parakeets... it was a terrible idea in my opinion, because she has no idea what she’s doing. The budgie in question hatched yesterday (01/20) and was not being fed by the parents, and basically shoved away.
Honestly, I had seen something like this coming. I spent days prior researching how to care for budgie hatchlings, watching videos on how to hand feed them,etc. After the budgie was neglected by the parents, and my family friend refused to do anything for it, I stepped up.
5368041E-CBF1-43E8-94A2-765685954A43.jpeg
this was taken the night I got her, after I fed her.
FC9C135A-9C40-488E-A2F9-A913AFD9CC24.jpeg
image.jpg
these two are from today (01/21).
I just want to know if she looks healthy? She eats really good, and her crop empties about every half hour (yes last night was so rough for me lol). Shes also sure to let me know that she’s hungry. She’s on a heating pad in her little nest I made her, keeping her at about 98° and I check it regularly. I put my hand in with her a lot to snuggle with her because she just looks so lonely. She does seem very lively, and even bites the syringe when I feed her.
Is her bright pink color normal? Her belly/rump seems to be purple-ish too. I’m just so worried about her, I’ve already fallen in love. Thanks!!
I’m a stay at home college student (thanks covid) so I’m almost always with her

ParrotNuts

Real Name
Atharv
@PoukieBear @Zara @Ripshod
Honestly, I had seen something like this coming. I spent days prior researching how to care for budgie hatchlings, watching videos on how to hand feed them,etc. After the budgie was neglected by the parents, and my family friend refused to do anything for it, I stepped up.
From what I see you have done your research, good job. I would suggest you to read through all the stickys on Breeders Boulevard . Do you have a brooder to keep him warm? If not, this might be helpful How To make a home made brooder.
Sorry but, I do not know much about breeding, but the people I tagged might be able to help. :) Are there any more chicks?

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
I’m currently using a little bin, with a heating pad at the bottom and the pad is covered with paper towels. I check the temperature every time I feed the chick (so about every half hour to an hour)
My family friend also gave me the last egg (it was an 8 egg clutch, the one I’m caring for right now is number 7). I’m not sure if it will hatched, it’s covered in poop and grime from the family friend not cleaning the box (I’ve told her several times she needs to get the big chunks of poo out of there ).

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
I have videos of the hatchling trying to stand and moving around, she moves a lot, especially when she’s hungry. I can’t figure out how to post videos though, sadly.

ParrotNuts

Real Name
Atharv
I have videos of the hatchling trying to stand and moving around, she moves a lot, especially when she’s hungry. I can’t figure out how to post videos though, sadly.
You need to post it on a social media site (Youtube, Vimeo or Facebook are mostly used) and link it on one of your posts ;)

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
Thanks!
She does this move a lot, she’s trying to stand up and walk around it seems but can’t carry her head
She started doing this weird clicking sound this morning after I feed her, and she seems to always do it after feeding. She stops when I put her back in her nest though, I’m not sure what the clicking means?

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
I don't know anything about raising baby budgies, but I just wanted to say that it's really nice of you to try and save this little baby. Good luck!
(Oh wow I finally learned how to quote reply lol) thank you!! I really hope I can save her, she’s such a sweetheart

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
B975243A-34AE-4D9B-8680-43BA5CB9EE17.jpeg
A5F399DC-5D19-444A-97EF-51C4CB68B0DF.jpeg
these were taken right after I fed her a few minutes ago. Does her crop look full? Or even too full? I’ve mostly been comparing to pictures of full crops online, but I want to be sure

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
So I read some of the pages that Aussiebird sent... one of them mentions the bird needing good gut bacteria? Is it too late to do this for my bird? She’s nearly 2 days old. Where would I get this? Would it be harmful to give her if she was fed by her mom when she was first born? My family friend wasn’t sure if she was fed or not, but her crop was empty when she found the baby

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Hello,

The colour of the bird should be pink.
If the bird turns more red, that is a sign of dehydration, just so you are aware.

I´m seeing a big probem with bedding. Don´t use paper towels, or paper I see you have the little one on.
You need to use aspen shavings, if you can´t find them, course pine is ok too (not fine pine). Fill the brooder (of the plastic container you are using) with a good 4 inches of the shavings, gently press them down, then make a little bowl (not too deep, just a nice small dip) with your closed fist near one of the corners for the baby to go in.
When you take the little one out for feeding, keep them in your hand, or put them down on a little tea towel (small cloth, a clean teeshirt etc).
It is important to use the correct bedding to lessen the changes of spradle leg (splayed legs).

You said about the bird lifting their head (I can´t find that line to quote it now), that is all normal. Newly hatched they can´t lift their heads usually for a few days at least. Baby birds really are so fragile.

one of them mentions the bird needing good gut bacteria? Is it too late to do this for my bird?
What food are you feeding?
I know that Nutribird include this in their formula. I don´t know about other brands but I can try help you find out.

My family friend wasn’t sure if she was fed or not, but her crop was empty when she found the baby
Probably not. Newly hatched chicks live off of the yolk sac for most of the first 24 hours.

Does her crop look full? Or even too full? I’ve mostly been comparing to pictures of full crops online,
Looks like a lot of air in there. This is will mean her crop ¨empties¨ quicker because most is just air. The problem with this is it can lead to malnutrition.
Air in the crop can happen when you feed too slowly. Normally by a novice who is a little scared of the whole feeding, or has little experience. I wonder if maybe there is a local breeder you could reach out to? It would be great to have someone physically show you. Though admittedly, feeding a bird as young as yours is a lot harder than feeding a 3+ week old chick.
What utensil are you using to feed? I used a 1CC syringe for a 5 day old lovebird and found it rather large but workable. So for you I would try to look for a 0.5CC, they may be harder to find.

Please post picture of your brooder set up.
Can you also confirm how many chicks you have?
As for the egg, keep it with the chicks. Their warmth may help see it to hatch. I read a thread by someone here (extremely similar situation to yours actually) and a dirty old egg full of poop eventually hatched.

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
Hello,

The colour of the bird should be pink.
If the bird turns more red, that is a sign of dehydration, just so you are aware.

I´m seeing a big probem with bedding. Don´t use paper towels, or paper I see you have the little one on.
You need to use aspen shavings, if you can´t find them, course pine is ok too (not fine pine). Fill the brooder (of the plastic container you are using) with a good 4 inches of the shavings, gently press them down, then make a little bowl (not too deep, just a nice small dip) with your closed fist near one of the corners for the baby to go in.
When you take the little one out for feeding, keep them in your hand, or put them down on a little tea towel (small cloth, a clean teeshirt etc).
It is important to use the correct bedding to lessen the changes of spradle leg (splayed legs).

You said about the bird lifting their head (I can´t find that line to quote it now), that is all normal. Newly hatched they can´t lift their heads usually for a few days at least. Baby birds really are so fragile.

What food are you feeding?
I know that Nutribird include this in their formula. I don´t know about other brands but I can try help you find out.

Probably not. Newly hatched chicks live off of the yolk sac for most of the first 24 hours.

Looks like a lot of air in there. This is will mean her crop ¨empties¨ quicker because most is just air. The problem with this is it can lead to malnutrition.
Air in the crop can happen when you feed too slowly. Normally by a novice who is a little scared of the whole feeding, or has little experience. I wonder if maybe there is a local breeder you could reach out to? It would be great to have someone physically show you. Though admittedly, feeding a bird as young as yours is a lot harder than feeding a 3+ week old chick.
What utensil are you using to feed? I used a 1CC syringe for a 5 day old lovebird and found it rather large but workable. So for you I would try to look for a 0.5CC, they may be harder to find.

Please post picture of your brooder set up.
Can you also confirm how many chicks you have?
As for the egg, keep it with the chicks. Their warmth may help see it to hatch. I read a thread by someone here (extremely similar situation to yours actually) and a dirty old egg full of poop eventually hatched.
I’m feeding her Kaytees exact baby bird formula.
I’m not sure what the size of my syringe is, but it’s about the same size as her beak. It’s an old pre-me infant one.
I actually tried to find a breeder or a vet in my area that could help me, but I was unable to find one in my town so I stuck to watching videos. If it’s needed, I’m willing to travel, though.
I only have one chick, plus the egg. The egg is currently with the chick.
I’m unable to get a picture of the brooder right this moment, but it really is just a small plastic bin, a heating pad (on the bottom, inside) kept at a low setting, covered with a layer of paper towels (I know this is wrong now, thank you), the edges stuffed with toilet paper, and a plastic lid with it partially off(not pushed down at all). I also have a heater going in my room set to it’s highest setting (90°) because I was worried about the possibility of the heat pad giving out or something.
thank you so much for your help. Is she currently malnourished, or has me feeding her every half hour been keeping that from happening? I’ll definitely try to feed her faster, I didn’t realize that would be an issue

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
B2CA9359-39E3-4720-803E-DAC888628E9D.png Or actually this one? I could get this one today since it’s at Walmart, I wanna be sure it’s good though

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Aspen in the link looks ok, but you may get it quicker heading to a local pet shop.
Once you get it , set up the brooder as I said in my last post, and put the chick and the egg in shallow dip. The chick will use the egg to prop up against.

I only have one chick, plus the egg. The egg is currently with the chick.
No other chicks in the clutch?

I’ll definitely try to feed her faster
As she gulps, feed. But be very attentive, if she stops swallowing, stop feeding.
Remember that the consistency of the formula should be different every day right now.
HEre is the formula guide, in case you don´t have it:
(let the link load fully and it will take you to the exact post)

Have a good read throught the ¨helpful links about hand feeding¨ thread, there´s more info posts under and above the formula guides. Help on how to prep formula, help on how to check the crop etc.

Not sure if these ladies were tagged before, I´ll tag because they also know lots about chicks.
@Mockinbirdiva @finchly @Laurie @PoukieBear

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
Aspen in the link looks ok, but you may get it quicker heading to a local pet shop.
Once you get it , set up the brooder as I said in my last post, and put the chick and the egg in shallow dip. The chick will use the egg to prop up against.

No other chicks in the clutch?

As she gulps, feed. But be very attentive, if she stops swallowing, stop feeding.
Remember that the consistency of the formula should be different every day right now.
HEre is the formula guide, in case you don´t have it:
(let the link load fully and it will take you to the exact post)

Have a good read throught the ¨helpful links about hand feeding¨ thread, there´s more info posts under and above the formula guides. Help on how to prep formula, help on how to check the crop etc.

Not sure if these ladies were tagged before, I´ll tag because they also know lots about chicks.
@Mockinbirdiva @finchly @Laurie @PoukieBear
Thank you! It was an 8 egg clutch, but the chick I was given was getting trampled on by its two week old sibling, as well as the mom not paying much attention to it (according to the breeder). They also gave me the egg too because they figured if this chick wasn’t safe in the nest then neither would the egg if it hatched

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
7E3BAC15-690D-40D8-9A85-5FC1714A03BA.jpeg 93C0A8E8-FAB7-4BAE-9565-01EC17D38D74.jpeg
it was hard to get a picture because she was squirming, but I tried feeding her faster this time and I think I did better about the air bubbles... it’s not perfect though :(
E14E83B8-CA4B-4E4D-9866-6EFEA97A5282.jpeg
2A02143E-DA65-464E-8806-927D192CC1EA.jpeg
Here’s pics of the makeshift brooder... I’m getting aspen bedding as soon as possible today, I found some at Walmart.
B62EA343-D6E8-441F-B268-BBE70BD28AB9.jpeg
this is the syringe I use, too, there’s no size or measurement anywhere on there and it was a leftover one we had. I’m trying to find a .5cc syringe and the only ones I’m finding at stores near me/Amazon is insulin needle ones