• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Fruits > Veggies?

ghostpress

Moving in
Real Name
Lucia
So I've always fed my GCC fresh fruits and veggies, and she's had no problem cleaning out her bowl entirely. Recently, though, I increased the number of foraging toys in her cage and filled them with dried pineapples, apricots, and millet, and she stopped eating the veggies. She'll go after the fruits (dried and fresh equally), but doesn't touch anything else. I'm concerned that she's getting too much sugar and not enough nutrients, but that if I stop giving her fruits altogether, she won't eat anything.

She also has pellets, but that hasn't affected her diet in any way - she used to eat the veggies first, and then the pellets later in the day as she got hungry again. Now, obviously, she eats the fruits, leaves the veggies, then goes after the pellets (also placed in a foraging toy, but the same one as always...though I do switch the ratio of pellets/foraging paper as well as the color and shape of the paper, to keep it interesting). I've thought of placing veggies in her foraging toys instead, but I don't know how I'd clean out the left overs in some of the corners and hard-to-reach places in a few of them.

Advice?

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
try doing your veggies in different way. cutting them differently, cooking them with some bird safe herbs or spices or both, shredding things like carrots really fine. adding different veggies that they have never tried. maybe making a mash of things like sweet potatoes, cooking carrots, beans & peas. adding cooked whole grains to the veggies, like wheat berries, kamut, brown rice, hulled millet, quinoa, chia.
here are some stickies to help you out:
http://forums.avianavenue.com/index.php?threads/bird-safe-fresh-foods-toxic-food-lists-more.44471/

Herbs and spices benefits for your parrots... | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

GREAT information of Nutrient/Function/What foods | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum