• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

GREAT information of Nutrient/Function/What foods

Status
Not open for further replies.

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
NUTRIENT
FUNCTION
FOODS

Vitamin A/Beta Carotene
Maintains tissue lining, respiratory, reproductive, digestive and urinary tracts.
Yellow/winter squash;; sweet potatoes/yams; carrots; egg yolks; alfalfa sprouts; endive; kale; cod liver oil; collard greens; mustard greens; turnip greens; broccoli; beet greens; chicory; chard; green peppers; chili peppers; red sweet peppers; pumpkins; dandelion greens; parsley; mango; cantaloupe; persimmons; apricots; papaya; brussel sprouts; asparagus; zucchini; peas; fish-liver oils. (The darker the flesh, the higher the vitamin A/beta carotene.)

B Vitamins*
Participates in metabolic reactions and energy at cell level and other internal growth.
Eggs; cheese; nuts; sunflower seeds; millet seeds; green leafy vegetables; cereals; grains; asparagus; broccoli; lemons; bananas; wheat germ; yogurt; brewer’s yeast; brussel sprouts. * This list is only partial as there are eight B vitamins that work as a team.

Vitamin C
(Ascorbic acid)

Most important for stressful situations, an anti-inflammatory, antihistamine, antioxidant and anti-stress nutrient.
Potatoes; broccoli; red peppers; green peppers; tomatoes; asparagus; peas; radishes; swiss chard; zucchini; guavas; kiwi fruit; oranges and juice; papayas; cauliflower; strawberries; cantaloupe; brussel sprouts.

Vitamin E
Antioxidant protecting cell membranes
Egg yolk; green leafy vegetables; alfalfa sprouts; oats; wheat germ; almonds; cashews; corn; lima beans; sunflower seeds.

Protein
Provides amino acids (the body’s building blocks).
Egg yolk and white; soybean meal; low fat plain yogurt; low fat cheese; low fat cottage cheese; well-cooked chicken and chicken bones; fish; turkey; water packed tuna; brown rice; enriched pasta; nuts; quinoa; amaranth; rice/bean combinations; peanut butter; tofu.

Calcium
Maintains growth and support of bone structure (particularly important for Greys).
Egg shells; low fat cheese; low fat yogurt; mineral block; collard greens; turnip greens; mustard greens; chicory; kale; dandelion; broccoli; almonds; brewer’s yeast; buttermilk; oats; kelp; cooked dried beans and peas; sesame seeds; tofu; oranges; berries; parsley.

Vitamin D3
Promotes proper calcium and phosphorous absorption and utilization.
Egg yolk (boiled at least 15-20 minutes); sunlight; Vita-Lites; fish-liver oil; salmon; sardines; sweet potatoes; dark leafy vegetables; cold water fish.

Phosphorus
Important for RNA/DNA synthesis, nerve health, heart/muscle contraction, kidney function, as well as many other functions. Phosphorus should be in equal amount to magnesium and both half that to calcium.
Foods high in protein, such as hard boiled eggs; brown rice; yogurt; cheese; well-cooked chicken; legumes.

Magnesium
Involved with many metabolic processes; helps regulate acid-alkaline balance and promotes absorption and metabolism of other minerals, particularly calcium. Magnesium should be in equal amount to phosphorus and both half that to calcium.
Whole grains; dark-green vegetables; corn; apples; legumes; seeds; nuts; almonds; natural feeds; wheat germ.

Iron
Combines with protein and copper to assist in hemoglobin production and is required for stress and disease resistance.
Legumes; eggs; green leafy vegetables; kelp; seeds (sesame/sunflower/pumpkin); nuts (almonds); grains; raisins.

Vitamin K
Promotes blood clotting, and is useful for normal functioning of liver and maintenance of strong bones.
Kelp; alfalfa; green leafy vegetables; eggs; soybeans; beet greens.

Zinc
Assists with enzymatic reactions, carbohydrate digestion, facilitates the action of the B vitamins, circulation, liver function, immune system function, protein synthesis and cell growth, skin, bone, joint health, wound healing and growth of reproduction organs.
Peas; legumes; nuts; leafy vegetables; seeds (sesame/sunflower/pumpkin); egg yolks; whole grains (sprouted).

Selenium
It’s an important antioxidant, commonly combined with vitamin E. It protects the immune system from damage by preventing the development of free radicals.
Eggs; sesame and sunflower seeds; whole grains; vegetables; garlic.

Iodine
Necessary for normal cell metabolism, metabolism of excess fat and thyroid function.
Kelp; sesame seeds; soybeans; summer squashes.

Taken from:
http://www.africangreys.com/articles/nutrition/healthygrey.htm

Last edited:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Great stuff!!!

tammie

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Tammie
More great information!! Billie Faye where do you find it all?

Billie Faye

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
I have TONS of sites that I have collected over the years to help me with feeding my birds....Always looking for more updated information...if looking for something, I put the name and then add afterward "for parrots" without the "" so the information comes up for parrots mostly...and then I read through the many pages and gleen out what I want!:hug8:

luvsgreys

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Stephanie
Thank you BF! This is great info!

Archiesmom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
Thanks BF! That is absolutely awesome.

prettyinpink

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica
Wow, that's really really great! Thanks so much :hug8:

Katster

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks for this. Changing Dante's diet is in my top list. He eats a little of fruit here and there, but he loves seeds, especially sun flowers seeds which I read is not too good for them :(

I am wondering, is all the listed food "okay" to give for a galah?

Status
Not open for further replies.