• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Frodo dropped a feather with a slight bit of blood at the end

LilFrodo

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Archie
So far he seems fine, and no obvious/major bleeding after a few look-overs. He’s in bed right now and I’ve popped over to check on him a couple times and he seems just fine. I’m just extremely paranoid and would appreciate some reassurance.

He was sitting next to me when something freaked him out and he flew off my shoulder and landed on the floor. I picked him up and noticed he’d dropped a flight feather (he is currently molting, and it’s his first ever molt). I picked up the feather to noticed that it had about a pin-head sized amount of pink at the “root,” but interestingly enough it didn’t seem like it had been broken. It seemed like the whole feather had fallen out but taken some skin with it. Like maybe it was loose, but not quite loose enough and got jostled around just the right amount to fall out prematurely.

I did a quick look over and I didn’t see any obvious bleeding or injury, nor did Frodo seem to be in any distress. In fact, he just grabbed the feather from my fingers and preened it like nothing had happened. I kept an eye on him for a good few minutes before putting him to bed, and then I checked on him a few times (I feel bad for disturbing the little guy’s sleep, but I won’t get sleep if I don’t know he’s okay lol) and he still seems to be okay. No bleeding or anything.

I just want to make sure that there’s nothing I should be worried about. I didn’t see any bleeding, so he should be fine, right? If anything, I’m taking him to the vet on Wednesday for a routine visit, so I’ll ask then.
I would appreciate any reassurance or advice!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Sounds like it was just helped out a teeny little bit early but it is really nothing to panic or be concerned about.