• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Conure Beak Length

EarthToEcho

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Medoh
I was wondering how long a conure (a sun or jenday)'s beak should be. I am a very new parront and I still have a lot to learn. My birds beak right now looks like this IMG_0053.JPG
He's got a vet appointment coming up soon and I want to know if I should get his beak trimmed.
Thank you!

Greencheek Lee

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lee
I think he's fine. We have to trim my green cheek's beak, it is not fun. You're vet will be able to give you guidelines but I don't think trimming the beak is something that normally needs to be done.

EarthToEcho

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Medoh
I think he's fine. We have to trim my green cheek's beak, it is not fun. You're vet will be able to give you guidelines but I don't think trimming the beak is something that normally needs to be done.
Okay thank you! Hes just not normally one to chew on wood or his cuttlebone so I was worried it was going to get too long

BirdGuy21

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
Looks fine to me. I wouldn't undertake beak trimming at home unless you are experienced.

EarthToEcho

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Medoh
Looks fine to me. I wouldn't undertake beak trimming at home unless you are experienced.
Don't worry I'm definitely not gonna try at home! I can do nails with a dremel on dogs, but thats as far as I'll go with that! One mistake could be bad so I'll leave it to the pros!

My vet trims Valentines beak with a dremel. She must like it, she is very quiet and sometimes she dozes!! :sleeping4:
Thats so funny! Must feel like a nice beak massage to her!

Sunni's Mom

Meeting neighbors
Well, I had an older sun conure with my ex and right after he turn 1 we had his talons and beak trimmed, the beak really shouldn't be hooking, & I don't suggest clipping them at home because like a dog the have quick or vein which can be knicked and a lot of bleeding

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Generally speaking, parrots do not need their beaks trims. If they do, then diet and health need to be looked at - unless the overgrowth is due to an injury. (rarely caused by lack of chewing - but it is a possibility)

My Charlie has to have his beak dremeled due to an injury (I say it's his fault!). He picked on a blind ruby macaw and got the short end of the stick... this happened when he was 12 years old. He's 24 this year.

Other than giving him smaller pellets (I've had larger pellets, chomped in half, fly into my eye from a few feet away!), he doesn't receive any special care other than getting beak trims. He eats and drinks fine on his own.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
I think it looks pretty good but you should find some wood he likes...there is a variety that you can get him started on and work up.

I have two who need beak trims...Maui had an injury to the top which caused it to tuck inside (was hoping with consistent trimming it would be corrected but I don't think it will at this point) and Julip who has a slight scissor beak and liver damage. She has been able to keep the side trimmed but the point is growing. Dr. O isn't a fan of working on her beak since she has stress seizures.

mau mau.jpg

julip.jpg

BrianB

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
My blue crowns tend to get long points on their beaks. I take them to get it trimmed down once or twice a year. They usually do the claws and then run a dremel over the beak to get rid of the sharp point.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Blue crowns naturally have sharp, deadly needle like beaks.... so that's normal.

Raffles Mum

Moving in
Real Name
Helen M Stevens
Thanks to everyone for the replies to the same query I was needing to ask! My boy looks to be fine judging by what everyone says, but it is good to have some input. xxx