• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bird proofing the house

dougk1989

Moving in
Real Name
Doug
Just received a rescue Amazon. I love him so much and I'm bird proofing the house. I removed all non stick cookware and things with Teflon or PTFE. Including even irons and ironing boards and hair straighteners. My question now is, are things like microwaves, toasters (not air fryers or toaster ovens) just plain old toasters, still a danger? The oven has a self clean option but will never be used is the coating or enamel on the oven going to be an issue? What about Keurig makers? I'm sure this topic has been posted many times and I've looked all over the Internet with mixed answers. Please, any advice will help! Thank you.

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Hello and welcome :hello1:

The best thing to do as far as the toaster and the coffee maker are to look up the information on the manufacturers website, or hit them up on social media. A lot of them will answer questions on Twitter and what not. The oven should be perfectly fine though.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Congratulations on your new feathered friend. Bird proofing a home can be quite involved. How about flight safety? Window coverings, ceiling fans and doors a bird can escape from also need attention. Good luck and keep us posted.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Congrats!

Amazons are great.

I really never looked at my toaster or microwave. Thankfully it didn't appear to be an issue.

Hair dryer was used in the other end of the house so that wasn't an issue for us.

I try to avoid the PTFE or PFOA and absolutely no air fresheners are used here.

dougk1989

Moving in
Real Name
Doug
Thank you for the responses! The poor guy was neglected pretty bad and doesn't really fly. He will be kept safe from all fans and window openings for sure. He's got his own little room to play in and he receives attention all day. He is so much happier now he's out of a bad environment. I just want to make sure I do everything I can for the little guy. It's good to hear the microwave and toaster most likely won't be an issue. I'll of course do more research. I'm kind of paranoid about the Teflon PTFE stuff, since you know, there aren't any do overs if they happen to catch a whiff of that stuff. I just rather ditch anything that might be suspicious.

Cali

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Janet
:welcomesign: and :Congratwav:

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Pictures???? Sorry, amazon fan here.

Wthensler

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
William hensler
Welcome and congrats! You’re off to a great start!

This is a great place for information, some of which you’ve received already.

Bo, our Red Lored, has been with us for about 17 years. He loves to chew on cords, so naturally we protect vacuum cleaners, etc., basically anything with a plug. He also roams a bit if left unguarded, and will chew a little on the bottom of our wood doors. Oh well…..

Don’t stress, we’re here to help any way we can.

Here are Bo and Miss Coco (Moluccan) having their favorite (pasta) for dinner this evening……yes they’re super spoiled. IMG_1409.jpeg

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome Arthur!

Have you thought about baths yet?

Mine took a while on that and both were different. MC got into a shower setting. Secret preferred doing her own with a little help.

I was told by a vet tech during one of the first visits that when they were soaked that would actually help their feather quality.

I basically set them on a plastic stand in my shower. I took a spray bottle used ONLY for water and misted lightly in the air above them. The water falls gently and you learn what they like. Don't spray at them. Sadly some birds are traumatized and punished with water.

Secret stands on a big dog ceramic bowl (super heavy) that has tepid water in it. I mist her and she generally steps into that pool of water and throws water around.

dougk1989

Moving in
Real Name
Doug
Arthur likes to bathe himself. He has his bowl of water that he likes to splash around in. He's still a little timid and is learning how to step up. Since he has so much room to roam he's been preening like crazy. I was worried about some sort of liver condition with the state that his tail feathers are in it he's showing no signs of distress other than being a little tired. But I appreciate the advice and I'll keep an eye on how he acts. I'm being a little paranoid I think but it's better to be safe than sorry.

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
:hello: And :welcomesign: he’s gorgeous :congrats5:

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Arthur likes to bathe himself. He has his bowl of water that he likes to splash around in. He's still a little timid and is learning how to step up. Since he has so much room to roam he's been preening like crazy. I was worried about some sort of liver condition with the state that his tail feathers are in it he's showing no signs of distress other than being a little tired. But I appreciate the advice and I'll keep an eye on how he acts. I'm being a little paranoid I think but it's better to be safe than sorry.
Agreed, we are ALL paranoid! Just know too that they pick up on your emotions. Strange but they do.

Sounds a lot like Secret.

A friend told me to limit her nuts to almond slivers and I buy those (unsalted) in the baking aisle at the grocery store. Secret isn't in the best of health but I discovered I can mix her meds with baby food that is 100% food and no additives like iron or salt.

Train the step ups on a T stick. It's far easier on your flesh. Give an almond sliver and say "GOOD JOB!" or any phrase that is said with enthusiasm.

Amazon love drama and enthusiasm (that's why so many curse).