• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Baby cockatiel

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Yes you can use that tank.
I don´t know about that bedding, I´ve never seen it before. I always use wood shavings. Hopefully someone else will have thoughts on those...

Choco

Strolling the yard
Cuz she said they use that themselves for the birds and that it’s more comfortable for them

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
@Choco No for the bedding it has baking soda &zeolite in it. Baking soda is alkali and is caustic to birds feet.

Choco

Strolling the yard
I think you replied a few minutes after I got the bedding .Can I use it ? or do I have to get another one ?i didn’t open it yet I will see if I can return it and get the other one

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I’ll let somebody more experienced with this kind of thing comment on your set up, but boy is he cute! :heart: I didn’t look back at your posts, but has he been to a vet?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Not yet but I will plan his visit☺
Get on it right away. Even if you just send pics via email for the vet to look at now and they can tell you how urgent it is they see your bird.

Choco

Strolling the yard
Just wanted to say I am really happy his feathers are growing fast.In 3 days ,he transformed from that to this(image below).I am proud of him for fighting along and eating really good and taking care of his feathers.Thanks to everyone who helped me .But I hope at his visit he will be fine or at least minor things

Attachments

Choco

Strolling the yard
So I called another vet for exotic birds and talked to her and explained everything and she said if he is eating well and doing fine with normal dropping and activities or that he isn’t plucking his own feathers I don’t need to and she said it’s better to wait for her to get a little older like I was thinking so he will have feathers and won’t get cold or stressed .

Choco

Strolling the yard
And he has been doing really great .I weight him (now he is 44,7g Ik they not supposed to be that at his age but since he doesn’t have feathers I think it’s why )and I have him 10% of his body weight ,make sure it’s warm enough with the thermometer and also his brooder to be always 32-36 C and he started to talk you could say cuz the first days he wasn’t at all .He really wants to get out of his brooder but unfortunately he can’t for now .I check his droppings too and his feathers growth everyday .

Choco

Strolling the yard
I will weight him everyday to see if he gains anything and that I will definitely bring him to the vet when he gets a little older

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Weight him in morning before you feed him or her. Keep a diary of weights and how much you are feeding him or her, every time you feed. Also it helps to keep track of any changes ie: nasty poops, regurgitation, vomiting anything that seems concerning to you and you can take this diary to the vet.

Choco

Strolling the yard
yes for sure I will keep track of his weight and if something unusual happens I will take him to the vet for sure.

Choco

Strolling the yard
The websites you guys recommended to me are amazing .They contain detailed and a lot of information about handfeeding and raising a baby cockatiel. The other websites I read before weren't this specific or didn't provide solutions ,tips or possible symptoms of sickness. I might call for advice at another vet.

Choco

Strolling the yard
Do you guys think he might be stunted? I'm sorry I have been posting too much I'm just worried about him even tho he is kinda energetic since he literally goes back and forth in the brooder sometimes and has been eating really well photo_2021-07-19_23-31-41.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
You aren’t posting too much.

He is adorable, and yes maybe stunted.

But consider this. What if when you got him, he was actually 2 weeks and not 3 weeks? Wouldn’t that line up with his weight as well as the feathering?

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
But consider this. What if when you got him, he was actually 2 weeks and not 3 weeks? Wouldn’t that line up with his weight as well as the feathering?
That was my thought, but in reverse. At 3 weeks he'd have down on his back. However he wouldn't have any flights showing like that before 4 weeks. I really do believe his back was plucked.