• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Baby cockatiel

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Hello there,

To feed the bird, try dimming the light and feeding in the brooder. Be sure you are using the same brand formula the bird has always eaten, at at 105F.

This bird looks malnourished and plucked bare all over except wings. Be very diligent about brooder temp and humidity, crop movement, weight tracking.

edit; hard to tell on the pictures but the head looks enlarged, which would indicate the chick is stunted.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Three weeks is really young if you don't have hand feeding experience- well really young, period. Can whoever you got him from help you with him. Were the parents feeding him properly? This is a helpful site too for baby tiel info: www.ask-noodles.com.

Choco

Strolling the yard
The breeder told me the parents stopped Feeding him and he didn’t have time to feed him alone so that’s why.I do not have experience hand feeding but I’m keeping him warm and I gave him some food .what do you think I should do

Choco

Strolling the yard
I just got him so I will be more careful with him and I will do what you guys suggest me to do

Choco

Strolling the yard
I’m guessing the parents didn’t feed him well or something but he has some feathers coming trough and he came on my shoulder even tho it’s his first day with me

Attachments

Choco

Strolling the yard
I am giving him food now and he is eating it very well he is hot when I touch him is that a good thing ?

Attachments

Choco

Strolling the yard
Should I bring him to the vet or feed him well for few days and weight him to see if he gets better ? Thank you guys for your help idk how his parents or the old owner took care or him but I will make sure he will be fine ☺

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Very worrying.
This bird should only be out of the brooder to eat and then go back in. They should not be on your shoulder.
No feathers = they can´t regulate their body temperature. If they get cold, it can lead to crop stasis.
Need to be in a brooder.
Be sure you are feeding the formula on a spoon at 105F. Boil water, then allow to cool a little. Make the formula. Put the thermometer in and wait ´til it cools to 105.
Never re heat old formula. Make fresh every time. Be sure to mix well removing all lumps.
Have a read of this thread;
There´s tonne of info on there incl. videos and a chart to keep records.

I see some budgies in your profile photo. Are all of these birds in separate rooms? They should be nowhere near this new bir until it is old enough to go to the vet and be tested for diseases. In the meantime, strict handwashing and clothes changing protocol between handling the birds.

Choco

Strolling the yard
Yes they are in another room ,I wash my hands after handling the birds .
I kept him in soft and warn cloth and i have fed him he was the one who was coming out but I put him back in and made sure he won’t come out .he is in the hottest room which is 87F .I will be weighting him and I don’t give the old formula I make new ones everytime and check the temperature
Thank you

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I got a 3 week old baby cockatiel
Now I'm concerned. At 3 weeks he should be covered in feathers, yet his head back and wings are bare. He does have some well developed feathers lower down, so it's looking like he's been plucked by one of his parents.
He should see a vet to see if anything else is happening here.
How are you feeding him? If you're using a syringe try a spoon, and vise versa. Offer some millet seed.

Last edited:

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
This baby needs to be in brooder
Please keep this baby warm well fed and get a vet asap
What are you using for formula? Are you sanitizing all feeding implements after every fed? Using spoon or syringe?

Last edited:

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
:agreed:
Right now he's using loads of energy staying warm instead of using it for growth. A brooder is necessary given his condition.
The fact that he's climbing you seems to suggest he's a bit older.

Choco

Strolling the yard
Thanks for all your help .
Yes it was weird for me too that he doesn’t have feathers on his body . I feed him the tropical formula at 103F ish I check the temperature and the texture to be not too liquid nor too solid .I feed him with a syringe and he understood that I’m trying to feed him so he doesn’t refuse to eat and eat well .I feed him from the left of his beak to the left side where the esophagus is located .I check the crop everytime before feeding him and after .I wash the syringe with hot water and the dish with some soap and rinse well .I really don’t know how the old owner or the parents treated him but seems like it wasn’t great enough .I always check the temperature of his room and change the cloth to be clean and he is always around a cloth to stay warm .the room is always 25C plus and goes as high as 31C plus the cloth around him would make him warm as idk 36C ish.I see feathers came from out around his body and I make sure he sleeps with kinda full so he won’t be hungry until I feed him in the morning

Choco

Strolling the yard
But Im still a little confused from which sides to give him but Ik I should be careful and it should go into the esophagus

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
But Im still a little confused from which sides to give him but Ik I should be careful and it should go into the esophagus
His right (your left) is correct.
Despite the circumstances you're both doing really well. Please keep us updated.