• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Baby cockatiel

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!

Choco

Strolling the yard
Thank you .
He really likes to get out of his place but I put him back .since 5am we had to feee him again and I’m guessing he needs tons of food to grow so I make sure he’s crop is never empty .he’s feathers grew so fast in two days at first I couldn’t even see them but now they are really visible .Also on his head there is two tiny spots which I think is dried blood so like you guys said his parents might have been picking/plucking his feathers. Dont worry about the small mess I will clean it now .So what should I do ?make a brooder ? Get him to the vet ?or take care of him and make sure he is in good condition ?

Attachments

Last edited:

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I make sure he’s crop is never empty
The crop needs to empty once per 24 hours. It is very important. Do this at night time so the first feed of the day is on a completely empty crop.

This bird needs to be inside a brooder until it is fully feathered.

Choco

Strolling the yard
Thank you I will definitely do it ,I will also make sure he is warm and comfortable.

Choco

Strolling the yard
Also how full does the crop have to be .I see people feeding the babies different amount and the crop doesn’t look the same for all of them like some people give more and some give less .the breeder told me it has to be this full Was he right or?(the image isn’t for today )

Attachments

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
The bird should be fed 10% of their body weight per feeding.
Weigh him every morning before any food so you know how much to feed.

Choco

Strolling the yard
Hello everyone
So far he has been eating really well he always gets excited when he sees the syringe and makes some noise while eating and also when he sees the food .he is always kept warm and the air is humid .I made sure his crop was empty before feeding him in the morning .Anyone knows why he keeps coming out ? he comes out voluntarily of his place but not always .maybe he wants to stretch his legs ? Thank you !

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
.Anyone knows why he keeps coming out ? he comes out voluntarily of his place but not always .maybe he wants to stretch his legs ?
A bird his age would be starting to get curious and wanting to explore. The problem is that undtil their feathers have grown back, you will want to regulate their body temperature, to do this your bird needs to be inside a brooder. You can set up a critter carrier temporary brooder if you don´t have a real brooder.

Choco

Strolling the yard
Yes he is in a brooder type ish/warm place and I Check on him often to make sure he is warm and at his place

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Yes he is in a brooder type ish/warm place
He needs to be inside a brooder.

I´m not sure how much clearer I can say it.

A brooder is an enclosed space that the temperature and humidity is regulated and the bird can not get out of. It is lined with aspen shavings. Often a heat pad is slid under to maintain a higher temp.

Choco

Strolling the yard
Yes I watched the video you recommended and I saw this and the aspen shavings too .I will be looking for them in the pet shop near me

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
If you can´t find aspen shavings, get course pine. NOT fine pine, and NEVER cedar. :tup:

As your bird is bald, you can lay an unscented kleenex on top of the shavings for the bird to sit on.

Choco

Strolling the yard
Alright thank you !and where can I get the heat pad ?or like those lights that produce heats something like that

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
From the pet shop. Might find the heat pad in another section, ask staff to help you.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
A human heating pad will work but only under half of the brooder and it must be set on low. And check the temperature every hour or two until you comfort that temperature is staying steady. The little one must have cooler space to be able to regulate their temperature.

Choco

Strolling the yard
Quick question
Im at the pet shop and she recommended me to use glass (aquarium glass )except of plastic for the like box thing and the recommended these too,is it good?

Attachments

Last edited: