• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

2 week old Lovebird Stunted growth

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
If they are not fighting then that is over preening.
Do they live together?
Do you have any video of them out of their cage together?

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Hello everyone . Update on my now 3 week and one day old lovebird. I see improvements but still growling slowly.she seems very aware of her surroundings now but still tiny. The black on her beak is now starting to show up and she can now sit up on her own but her peg
Is a little gimpy. I think she may have splayed legs but not sure if it’s too soon to tell. Her leg goes off to the side when walking
Splayed legs are usually the result of improper bedding where the chick has more of a flat surface to sit on and can't keep the legs under them as they would in a real nest. Please provide a photo of what you keep this baby in exactly as it is so we can evaluate it. She's looking pretty cute!

MushuLB

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jenny A
I just recently received mushus old buddy .and yes I have a video but I’m not sure how to send videos on here it only lets me send photos for some reason :/ I will try an iCloud link and see if it works.
iCloud

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I just recently received mushus old buddy .and yes I have a video but I’m not sure how to send videos on here it only lets me send photos for some reason :/ I will try an iCloud link and see if it works.
iCloud
I think you have to upload your videos to Youtube to be able to link them here. If I were you I would post about Mushu and the other adult lovebird in a separate thread and keep this thread for the attention to the baby only.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
The iCloud link should work too I believe for a short period of time. I never open the iCloud links to be honest as I am not sure what personal information is shared through iCloud.
Most people use FB or YouTube to share videos.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I am confused. Is this the family? mum, dad and offspring?
In the first post of this thread you say the mother was not caring for the chick and you stepped in. So Mushu is the mum?
That explains why she was trying to feed the chick through the brooder.
This video, looks like mum and dad? Correct? They look friendly on the video.

Reactions: Ali

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I am confused. Is this the family? mum, dad and offspring?
In the first post of this thread you say the mother was not caring for the chick and you stepped in. So Mushu is the mum?
That explains why she was trying to feed the chick through the brooder.
This video, looks like mum and dad? Correct? They look friendly on the video.
It is confusing. Reading back on page two... Mushu was given to this person on April 28th... they have no idea if Mushu is male or female but this bird is not related to the chick the post was started about. The photo of the two lovebirds together on top of the cage is TOTALLY confusing to me. Is one Mushu and who is the other? How many adult lovebirds are there in this household? The beginning of the post with the photo of the two has a lot of typos I haven't quite figured out. I get lost on those posts and move on. I did ask this poster to create another thread about those two and keep this thread just for the baby to avoid confusion.

Edited to say... I did not click on the link to watch the video.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
iCloud
And just to be clear.... when you start another thread about Mushu and his new buddy..... Mushu is not related to the chick in this thread...right?

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
no idea if Mushu is male or female but this bird is not related to the chick the post was started about
Then OP has the chicks mother still (I think?)

The photo of the two lovebirds together on top of the cage is TOTALLY confusing to me. Is one Mushu and who is the other?
I am reading that as, Mushus friend. So they were together before OP took them in one at a time:
They used to live together months ago before one was given to me and the other was given to my mother in laws mom.
Jenny, I think some clarification is needed. But as Andrea said, best to have a thread for the adult birds, and keep this one focused on the chick.
I am very interested to know about the mother hen.

Either way, the birds in the video are having positive interactions with each other.

Edit; After re-reading post #25 I think Mushu and her friend are just a pair of unrelated Fischeri. So OP has Mushu, Mushus friend, the chick and the chicks mother.... Then I would think the male too.. but I am a little lost! :reading:

Last edited:

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Then OP has the chicks mother still (I think?)

I am reading that as, Mushus friend. So they were together before OP took them in one at a time:

Jenny, I think some clarification is needed. But as Andrea said, best to have a thread for the adult birds, and keep this one focused on the chick.
I am very interested to know about the mother hen.

Either way, the birds in the video are having positive interactions with each other.

Edit; After re-reading post #25 I think Mushu and her friend are just a pair of unrelated Fischeri. So OP has Mushu, Mushus friend, the chick and the chicks mother.... Then I would think the male too.. but I am a little lost! :reading:
Yes... somewhere in there ... a male would have to have been kept with the mother for eggs to be fertilized. We haven't heard anything regarding how these two are currently housed.

MushuLB

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jenny A
And just to be clear.... when you start another thread about Mushu and his new buddy..... Mushu is not related to the chick in this thread...right?
Sorry for the mess guys .. correct Mushu is unrelated to baby bird other pair also is unrelated. I will speak about it more in the other thread :) but as for baby Bird and splayed legs.. here is the enclosure I have for her I have a layer of bedding with a baby cloth and a microfiber towelette as well as a cushioned furry lovebird bed that resembles a moms feathery chest which she seems to love .

Attachments

MushuLB

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jenny A
Here is the photo I have of her legs . When she walks the right one tends to drag. The left one is fine she already tries perching on my finger with it. But the right one always seems to drag. If this is splayed legs, any advice on how to fix it at home ? If so please feel free to drop a video showing how to fix it .

Attachments

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Causes for splayed legs can be from calcium deficiency, improper bedding material - your chick is pretty much on a flat surface, or a hen sits tight on the babies.

This is one method for correcting splayed legs. The sooner you address it the better the chance of positioning the legs... also done in stages as described. The second link will show different chicks with their legs taped together.. one uses a make up sponge though I would not recommend that method. You will need an extra set of hands to help you do this. I would also advise you to use aspen shavings 3-4 inches thick and create a slight hollow in one area for your chick to sit in and bunch up a paper towel to the shape of the hollow so you can change it frequently and keep him clean. Your video is attached below to show you the taping method. As I said... you need another person to hold the chick to keep this procedure short and less stressful for the chick.

MushuLB

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jenny A
Thank you so much ! I will send pictures when it is all done to make sure it was done properly :) will update soon !

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Thank you so much ! I will send pictures when it is all done to make sure it was done properly :) will update soon !
You do understand you will gradually shorten the length of the tape each time you change it to bring those legs into the correct position... right? It could take 3 weeks... be sure to have someone help you by holding the baby. Adjust the container you have the baby in too.

MushuLB

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jenny A
Understood, thank you. As for bedding, any advice to offer ? It’s a plastic container so how should I layer it? Any photo references ?

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Understood, thank you. As for bedding, any advice to offer ? It’s a plastic container so how should I layer it? Any photo references ?

Go to this link and scroll down to the section on making a brooder. I would suggest Aspen wood shavings at least 3-4 inches deep. You can scrunch up a paper towel in a bowl shape and nestle it down in the shavings. Don't use cedar or pine shavings. If aspen isn't available you can take some clean paper and run it through a paper shredder and make some bedding.

See aspen shavings for birds

CURBSIDE PICKUP

Pick up today

So Phresh Natural Aspen Small Animal Bedding, 56.6 Liters (3456 cu. in.)
$10.87
Petco.com

113L Aspen Shavings Bedding - Small Pet Select
$27.99
smallpetselect.com

MushuLB

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jenny A
How far apart should I do it the first week ?

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
How far apart should I do it the first week ?
The right leg is quite severe in the angle. I would suggest bringing that leg in a third towards the body and see how the chick tolerates it. In two to three days remove the tape and replace it bringing that leg in by another half inch, again in another 2-3 days another half inch until you have both legs vertical under the body. You are doing this procedure gradually to avoid putting too much stress on the bones as well as the chick. If you can provide a photo after your first taping that would be great. Make sure we can see what you've done well.