• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

2 week old Lovebird Stunted growth

MushuLB

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jenny Almodovar
I have a 2 week old Lovebird, 13 days old to be exact, the mother was not taking very good care of her And managed to kill 2 of her babies and abandoned her eggs so I stepped in and decided to hand feed.As of now her eyes have already opened.She does well hand feeding BUT.. her growth seems a little slower then what I expected but I do not have much experience in this department for me to know for sure.Can anyone tell me if she looks a little small for her age or if she’s right where she needs to be? Also,Is it okay to give Pedialyte with her formula? If so, would anyone recommend replacing water with pedialyte only or mixing The pedialyte with water And formula? Any advice will help . Thank you all.

Attachments

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Also,Is it okay to give Pedialyte with her formula?
Why?
A good quality formula will have all the nutrients a chick will need. You must prepare it to the correct ratio and serve it at the correct temperature.
Which brand are you using?
Remember to allow the crop to empty completely once per 24 hours (overnight is the best way)

If so, would anyone recommend replacing water with pedialyte
What water?
This chick shouldn´t have water available or be drinking water. This chick needs formula and only formula.
They also must be kept in a brooder, lined with a few inches of aspen shavings.

.Can anyone tell me if she looks a little small for her age or if she’s right where she needs to be?
HEre is a pinned post that may help you in the future, Pictures - (Roseicollis/Peach faced) White faced Lovebird growth
But I think you may find my playlist helpful as they are so small; Lovebird growth
There is one clip per day apart from day 5.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
She looks well filled out weight wise. The one difference I see is what looks like a lack of the downy feathers in comparison to @Zara chicks but I don't think that is a cause for concern. Do you have a gram scale to measure the weight of this baby? A couple of size related soft toys to keep this chick company and to cuddle with would offer her a bit more security as she grows. What is the inside temperature of her container.... do you have a thermometer that also reads the humidity in the container?

MushuLB

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jenny Almodovar
Why?
A good quality formula will have all the nutrients a chick will need. You must prepare it to the correct ratio and serve it at the correct temperature.
Remember to allow the crop to empty completely once per 24 hours (overnight is the best way)

What water?
This chick shouldn´t have water available or be drinking water. This chick needs formula and only formula.

HEre is a pinned post that may help you in the future, Pictures - (Roseicollis/Peach faced) White faced Lovebird growth
But I think you may find my playlist helpful as they are so small; Lovebird growth
Why?

What water?

The only water you mix with the formula

MushuLB

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jenny Almodovar
She looks well filled out weight wise. The one difference I see is what looks like a lack of the downy feathers in comparison to @Zara chicks but I don't think that is a cause for concern. Do you have a gram scale to measure the weight of this baby? A couple of size related soft toys to keep this chick company and to cuddle with would offer her a bit more security as she grows. What is the inside temperature of her container.... do you have a thermometer that also reads the humidity in the container?
I tried weighing her but she was a little wiggly it was steady around 11 grams.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I am currently feeding her Kaytee hand feeding formula :) and giving it to her as directed on the container
What temperature is the formula when you feed it? Are you using a thermometer so you know the exact temperature?

MushuLB

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jenny Almodovar
Around 104-105 as directed by the instructions. I usually feel it first to make sure it isn’t too hot before feeding her, but I always check with a thermometer. This photo was from her feeding today at 3:00

Attachments

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I tried weighing her but she was a little wiggly it was steady around 11 grams.
So you do have a gram scale... good. You can keep a log sheet with dates and weights per each day to keep track of her growth. Zara has more knowledge of weight on lovie chicks than I do. Before you give your first morning feed after the baby poops get a first weight.. she'll be pretty wiggly wanting that first feed but you should be able to get a good read.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Around 104-105 as directed by the instructions. I usually feel it first to make sure it isn’t too hot before feeding her, but I always check with a thermometer. This photo was from her feeding today at 3:00
Perfect.. the thermometer is the best way to know exactly what the temp is... she looks good!

MushuLB

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jenny Almodovar
So you do have a gram scale... good. You can keep a log sheet with dates and weights per each day to keep track of her growth. Zara has more knowledge of weight on lovie chicks than I do. Before you give your first morning feed after the baby poops get a first weight.. she'll be pretty wiggly wanting that first feed but you should be able to get a good read.
Thank you guys ! I’ll be sure to update you with her weight in the morning and go from there :)

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I believe 11 is a few grams less than mine were at 2 weeks (13-14g), but all birds are different and grow slightly different. She looks good as Andrea has said, not skinny or oddly shaped.
Keep her warm and well fed and she should be fine :)

MushuLB

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jenny Almodovar
Thank you I appreciate the feedback !

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Ooops.... yes... Welcome! Glad you came on board and asked for help!

MushuLB

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jenny Almodovar
Good afternoon guys, just wanted to share some photos and update you all on my little Nugget he is now around 14 grams and seems to be growing more feathers. He is very active and seems very healthy. But I do still worry he isn’t growing up to speed. Does he seem too small or am I being paranoid ? Today he is 17 days old.

Attachments

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Some of my little ones at 17 days old,
The tiny pink one was a slow grower, she is two days younger than the others.
Screenshot_20200616_184824_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg Screenshot_20200616_184834_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg

MushuLB

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jenny Almodovar
Wow mine is so much smaller compared to yours! Should I be concerned ? Or do you suspect she will hit a growth spurt at some point ?

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
My slow grower at 18 days old; (she was much smaller than your chick is)