• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

2 week old Lovebird Stunted growth

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Add that to the list! I should've thought about it way earlier!
That thread is open so you can add any tips as you think of them, or info links as you come across them :)

MushuLB

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jenny Almodovar
Hi everyone, so today I changed the baby’s wrap I moved it in by 1/4 of an inch and as soon as I removed it the leg splayed out . Which I’m sure is normal since it’s only been day 2 of treatment. Here is a photo. I’ve already seen how much of a difference it makes. She can already. Stand up straight with the wrap :) how long will treatment be ? Weeks? Months? Should I move it in more tomorrow or leave it ?

Attachments

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Do as Andrea suggested, keep altering the brace, shortening it daily. Once the legs are alligned well, you will still need to leave the brace on for I believe 2 weeks.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Hi everyone, so today I changed the baby’s wrap I moved it in by 1/4 of an inch and as soon as I removed it the leg splayed out . Which I’m sure is normal since it’s only been day 2 of treatment. Here is a photo. I’ve already seen how much of a difference it makes. She can already. Stand up straight with the wrap :) how long will treatment be ? Weeks? Months? Should I move it in more tomorrow or leave it ?
From what I can see it looks like there is an improvement from your last wrap. I would change it again tomorrow and bring that leg in by another 1/4 inch and that should have both legs aligned under the body. After two weeks of maintaining the brace with both legs aligned under the body you can then assess whether you need to keep it on for another week. You want the best result so if it takes an additional week then that's what you'll need to do. Did you change her container any? Can we see that? Good work on the leg!

MushuLB

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jenny Almodovar
I ended up using the Pine shavings I have for the time being.By the way, can anyone tell me if her crop looks full? I’ve been feeding with this Syringe at 2 C.C. That is usually where I stop because her crop would be full. All her feeding made her crop full except for this last one. The last feeding of the night Didn’t feel full it Felt kind of empty. Is this something I should be concerned about ?

Attachments

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I ended up using the Pine shavings I have for the time being.By the way, can anyone tell me if her crop looks full? I’ve been feeding with this Syringe at 2 C.C. That is usually where I stop because her crop would be full. All her feeding made her crop full except for this last one. The last feeding of the night Didn’t feel full it Felt kind of empty. Is this something I should be concerned about ?

The crop does not look full. You need to write down the day and time of each feeding and how much you feed so you remember. Do you know what she weighs? I can't remember if you have a gram scale. She should be fed 10% of her weight... so if she weighs 40 grams you will feed her 4 cc's of formula. On her last feed of the day her crop should be full and empty over night.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
If this is what you think a full crop looks like, it could be why your bird is growing very slowly - not enough nutrition. Because your bird is not stunted.
Is the bird pulling back? Or is this you who is stopping the feeding?

MushuLB

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jenny Almodovar
No usually the crop is fuller that’s why I was questioning it because I fed what I usually feed and it looked empty it made no sense to me because All 4 feedings today her crop was full it was big and squishy and the last feeding I fed the same amount and it didn’t fill so I was very concerned . Her last weight was 17 grams which still seems so little to me. I usually feed til she pulls away or til I see her crop is full to the point I can see the little bubbles on the back Fill up but not to the point that it is going up the throat and aspirating. She’s 17 grams i bumped her up to 3 Ccs this morning because she seems to want more. Here is a photo of her crop front and back

Attachments

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Yes 6 grams gain in 2 weeks is not great. Be sure to check your temps and numbers etc. Calibrate everything too. Just go over everything and double check.

MushuLB

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jenny Almodovar
Yes 6 grams gain in 2 weeks is not great. Be sure to check your temps and numbers etc. Calibrate everything too. Just go over everything and double check.
Okay will do, I’m going to wait til her crop empties out to try weighing again and recalibrate my scale

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Since you posted this thread 15 days ago, this should have been your chicks growth...
day 1 - 11g
2 - 12.2
3 - 13.3
4 - 14.6
5 - 16.1
6 - 17.7
7 - 19.5
8 - 21.5
9 - 23.7
10 - 26.1
11 - 28.7
12 - 31.6
13 - 34.8
14 - 38.3
15 - 42.1g - Today

Just so you are aware how little we are talking.
I don´t think I noted my little Adelies weights online.. I wish I had because it would have been helpful now, she grew super slowly, however I don´t think as slowly as your little one.

MushuLB

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jenny Almodovar
Yes it’s super concerning, I’m considering going to a veterinarian. Do you think maybe it’s because I was feeding 2 CCs and I should’ve bumped it up a week ago? I kept it at 2 CC because her weight wasn’t Where it was supposed to be but now I’m starting to think maybe I should’ve just bumped it up to HELP with her weight gain if that makes any sense ?

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
If every time when you fed her during the day there was still some food in the crop then no, it wouldn´t have changed anything.

If you were letting the crop empty between feeds then that could have affected growth. The crop only needs to empty once per 24 hours.

I would definitely call your vet and let them know you have the little one growing slowly. It is good they are in the loop should you have some sort of emergency.

MushuLB

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jenny Almodovar
Good news! My scale was not calibrated correctly and she weighed in a good 36.7 grams ! Wayyy better then 17!

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Fantastic!
If you look back at my weight progression, that is what the bird would weigh if they were growing at the ¨normal¨ rate. So given we already knew the bird was a little slow, that weight today sounds really good.

A ¨normal¨ bird that weighs 36.7g today would weigh 40.4 tomorrow, so hopefully your little one can manage to at least get over half way there... :fingerscrossed:

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
No usually the crop is fuller that’s why I was questioning it because I fed what I usually feed and it looked empty it made no sense to me because All 4 feedings today her crop was full it was big and squishy and the last feeding I fed the same amount and it didn’t fill so I was very concerned . Her last weight was 17 grams which still seems so little to me. I usually feed til she pulls away or til I see her crop is full to the point I can see the little bubbles on the back Fill up but not to the point that it is going up the throat and aspirating. She’s 17 grams i bumped her up to 3 Ccs this morning because she seems to want more. Here is a photo of her crop front and back
I would only add it looks like you need more shavings in her container. The flat surface originally was part of the cause for the splayed legs and we recommended 3-4 inches of thickness with the shavings. Poor nutrition could be the other original cause for the splayed legs. Today you can bring that leg in a bit more... measure the distance between the legs today BEFORE you remove the tape and then after you replace the tape you know what progress you make in shortening the distance. Feed her the 3 cc's and if she can take 3.5 cc's without distending her crop then good. Make sure the temp of the formula is correct and keep her warm in the container.. She might appreciate a small toy buddy to snuggle up to.

MushuLB

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jenny Almodovar
Fantastic!
If you look back at my weight progression, that is what the bird would weigh if they were growing at the ¨normal¨ rate. So given we already knew the bird was a little slow, that weight today sounds really good.

A ¨normal¨ bird that weighs 36.7g today would weigh 40.4 tomorrow, so hopefully your little one can manage to at least get over half way there... :fingerscrossed:
Today I weighed Bambi( baby bird) in at 44.6 grams she’s looking great since the last time I weighed her. She is very active and alert now. I removed the towel from
The bottom of her tank and put paper towel under the pine shavings . Sorry for the mess she digs in to the bottom to get more warmth . Also her main colors are finally coming in:) I attached a photo with visible colors on her wings

Attachments

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
44.6 grams
That is perfect weight gain, yesterday should have been 40.4 meaning todays estimate was 44.4g :yah:

Bambi( baby bird)
Bambi like bambino or the deer? Love the name either way! :)

She´s looking really good!! How are you managing with her legs? They should be perfectly aligned (so vertial to her, underneath), though you will need to leave your tape on for a little longer.

You could put that fuzzy thing in the corner, but personally I would remove it. A small soft toy (one that fits in your hand) or a rolled up sock would be an ideal item for her to snuggle with in her box.

MushuLB

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jenny Almodovar
Bambi like the deer :) and I put the green snuggly toy in the corner for her like you suggested I compacted it to make it smaller . She loves cuddling up to it. Today I moved the tape closer in so her legs are now directly underneath with about a thumb width apart. This should stay on for about 2 weeks now, correct ?

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Bambi like the deer :) and I put the green snuggly toy in the corner for her like you suggested I compacted it to make it smaller . She loves cuddling up to it. Today I moved the tape closer in so her legs are now directly underneath with about a thumb width apart. This should stay on for about 2 weeks now, correct ?
You started taping her legs a week ago. The prime time to begin correcting splayed legs is between 8-14 days. I would continue to keep them taped for another 2 weeks. Can you do more updated photos so we can see the progress?