• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

2 week old Lovebird Stunted growth

MushuLB

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jenny Almodovar
Little update on Bambi. So far so good with her leg wrap. She’s catching up with weight and growing beautiful feathers :). Also, she is starting to chew on her bedding . Any advice on that? Should I introduce any toys to her? I was wondering when I should start her on avicakes as well. She still cries for food but has been chewing the pine bedding very often. I currently have some avicakes but have not given her any just yet.

Attachments

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Looking at those legs, I would pull it in a tad more. I will come back and post a pic of how they should sit.
, she is starting to chew on her bedding . Any advice on that?
So, she is coming into weaning stage, you can leave hunks of millet sprigs in her bed for her to nibble on. She won´t wean right away, it is a process, so don´t worry about her not getting enough nutrition because she will still be eating formula.
You can play with small ¨beak ¨ toys with her. Like a couple of C clips connected, large beads, balsa pieces etc. Let her explore the new items. Don´t make sudden movements with them or she may get a little spooked.
You can break a little avi cake off and give it her, see how she gets on with it.

Edit,
Screenshot_20200706_161755_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg
Screenshot_20200706_161748_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg (like the bird left)
Screenshot_20200706_162245_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg

Last edited:

MushuLB

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jenny Almodovar
Okay I will pull them in a bit more and send photos :)

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
What is the capacity on that syringe?
Just so you know, you will have better control and less mess with a smaller syringe. A 5cc would be perfect. I´m quite partial to a 2cc but obviously I have to keep reloading it.

MushuLB

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jenny Almodovar
What is the capacity on that syringe?
Just so you know, you will have better control and less mess with a smaller syringe. A 5cc would be perfect. I´m quite partial to a 2cc but obviously I have to keep reloading it.
It says 1cc but I’m honestly Not sure the capacity but this is what it looks like

Attachments

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
That's 14cc. Each number tot he left is the cc measurement. So you bird won't eat more than half a syringe.
If it works for yiu that is all that matters. We all have our own preference when it comes to feeding equipment :)

MushuLB

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jenny Almodovar
I need a little help with this leg wrap she keeps removing it and I’m not sure how to get her to stop chewing right threw it ! It’s quite irritating. Every time I replace it she completely mutilated the bandage and chews threw it easily now that her beak is growing stronger

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Are you still home all day? or are you back at work? if you are home, just keep checking on her and replacing.
When you take it off to change it, are you seeing the difference?

MushuLB

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jenny Almodovar
I am at home all day . I check on her frequently and she still manages to chew threw it. I do see a difference for sure but it’s not enough. I can tell she still needs another 2 weeks with the wrap but since her legs are directly under her now it’s making her uncomfortable and she’s wanting to take it off even more then she did before.

MushuLB

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jenny Almodovar
She just removed it again for the 3rd time today .

MushuLB

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jenny Almodovar
Are you still home all day? or are you back at work? if you are home, just keep checking on her and replacing.
This is how she stands now. Like I said, I definitely see improvement from how she started but it could be better. Also, I’ve noticed she’s been scratching under her wings a lot. Is this because of growth? Does that make them itch when their feather grow in ? She scratches under her Wings and her toes And
Flaps her wings around every couple
Hours

Attachments

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Looking fantastic!!! :bliss:

, I’ve noticed she’s been scratching under her wings a lot. Is this because of growth?
Yes, right now I bet she is just non stop preening and you have keratin casings all over the place :lol:
The only thing is the feathers are growing at odd times, compared to what I have seen, but hopefully they will just catch up with each other in the end and all will be well .

Sounds like things are going very smoothly now :)
I will remove the ¨Urgent¨ from the thread title too :yah:

MushuLB

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jenny Almodovar
Haha yes ! Marathon casing all over ! It’s a relief to know she’s not doing as bad as before :)

MushuLB

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jenny Almodovar
I think I may have overfed my baby lastnight. I woke up to formula caked and splattered all over the tank walls a she was asking for more food then usual so I gave her a little more . Well I think it was a bad call because it’s all over the wall. Should I take her to the vet or just be more cautious not to overdo it next time ? Also the formula has a different consistency then the last bottle I got. Feels more moist I’m not sure if this has anything to do with it. But I did not switch out her formula it’s the same brand

Attachments

MushuLB

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jenny Almodovar
Oh and also, her Behavior seems fine . This morning she was asking for food as normal. Aside from
That episode she had last night, I truly believe it was my mistake and I overfed :( she is always asking for more food even after her crop is full so I assumed she was ready for a dosage up of food

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Monitor her closely, if she vomits again, or has any other unusual differences (more sleepy, loss of balance, any other changes) head on down to the vet. Was her crop empty this morning when you saw her?

MushuLB

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jenny Almodovar
Yes Her crop Was empty. I fed her at 6 am this morning and she has kept the food down. She hasn’t vomited again

MushuLB

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jenny Almodovar
Update on Bambi.
She took a leap and flew today about 4 times :joyful::joyful:
She’s been a lot more active and still has not weaned but she’s improving in every other way. She’s 7 weeks old day.

Attachments

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Wonderful update Jenny! I´m so happy things are going well :)

Lovebirds normally wean around that time of taking flight or just after, though one of mine only weaned at 5.5 months old, her flight was not great until she weaned, she was like a holicopter rather than a plane - must have been the baby weight or formula weighing her down.
Don´t worry too much about weaning, as long as she is growing well, that is all that matters :)