• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

2 week old Lovebird Stunted growth

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Little girl was not happy and even tried taking it off as shown in the photo she is bent forward . Not sure it is on correctly or close enough . Please let me know :)
It does look like you've put it on correctly though it does look like you can bring that one leg in a little more ( at least a half inch) so that it doesn't extend out as far. I can't really tell if you managed to bring in it much by comparing to the other photos. No... they don't like it much. Fortunately she is young enough to not be able to chew it off.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Last photo from back angle
I think you did a good job but as I said above... a bit more as I'm seeing more 'slack' in this particular photo.

MushuLB

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jenny Almodovar
Okay so.. this did not work out very well.. she ended up taking it off and I tried doing it again but she was getting stressed so I stopped . I am now looking for another method on YouTube that I can easily slip on her without her stressing so much . I’m going to try again with the tape and if it’s not going well I am going to look at another method for her. Any advice with the squirming ? I tried putting her on her back but she fights to flip back over . I’m afraid I will brake her fragile little legs if I try too hard when she is resisting

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Okay so.. this did not work out very well.. she ended up taking it off and I tried doing it again but she was getting stressed so I stopped . I am now looking for another method on YouTube that I can easily slip on her without her stressing so much . I’m going to try again with the tape and if it’s not going well I am going to look at another method for her. Any advice with the squirming ? I tried putting her on her back but she fights to flip back over . I’m afraid I will brake her fragile little legs if I try too hard when she is resisting
This is why I mentioned having another person help you hold the chick so you can tape the legs. Believe me, I know it can be frustrating. If it can be done quickly it's not that stressful on the chick as it is you. I would say most people use the taping method. If I can think of anything else I'll bring it up but give the taping another go and find someone to hold the chick for you. They grow at a rapid pace... stick with it. Otherwise... this is exactly how her legs will remain when she grows up. You can do it... the first go round was good, just needs to be a little better! :)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
A second person is key.

When my hen was at the vet as a chick for her closed foot, she needed it taped and the vet looked at me and said ¨ok, you come here and sit here and hold her¨, I had never really known about stuff like this and just assumed the vet could do it on his own. I laugh a little now at how naive I was.
I remember saying to the vet at the time, ¨Oh my it´s like building a miniature house while bouncing on a spacehopper.¨
I can imagine that taping a splayed leg is just as fiddly and tricky as my girls foot.
We had two chairs, and both sat knees to knees touching, I held her and he taped her.

Find a secnod person and get them to hold the chicks body in one hand, and support one leg with the other. You tape that one leg first then pull it in and tape the other.

MushuLB

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jenny Almodovar
Haha yeah I had my boyfriend help put the second time . First time I did it alone. I’ve done some research and found another method with a band aid BUT MY ONLY concern is that bandaids are a little hard to take off my own skin so I do not want to irritate her skin . I also found a method with vet wrap which isn’t so tough on their skin. I might try this one too if method 1 with the tape doesn’t work out . What is your options on these methods?

Attachments

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Haha yeah I had my boyfriend help put the second time . First time I did it alone. I’ve done some research and found another method with a band aid BUT MY ONLY concern is that bandaids are a little hard to take off my own skin so I do not want to irritate her skin . I also found a method with vet wrap which isn’t so tough on their skin. I might try this one too if method 1 with the tape doesn’t work out . What is your options on these methods?
I think you should stick with the tape you initially used. Vet wrap can be just as difficult to remove. Just don't do it alone. Is that last photo your baby with something yellow holding the legs together? As I look at that photo it looks like the material is wrapped around the upper thigh of the baby and not the lower leg above the foot. You may need to put the chick in a smaller container within the brooder so it will be less likely to work that bandage off. Once you have the hobble ( tape) you might wrap an additional piece of tape around the center part to secure the ends that fold over.

MushuLB

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jenny Almodovar
The photos here are other peoples methods I found on YouTube.

MushuLB

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jenny Almodovar
Unfortunately I do not have anyone to help me at the moment. My dad is in the hospital and and my mother is too scared to help lol I ended up doing it with wrap and it actually came out pretty well . My little nugget is still getting used to it but I think it looks good :) please let me know what you think.

Attachments

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
If that container is where he lives, it is contributing to his condition.
That is paper cut into strips, the problem is it lays flat, it is also super slippy.
Can you not get a hold of some shavings? It really is important. Without good bedding, your bird will not rid the condition as quickly - if at all.

MushuLB

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jenny Almodovar
Someone recommended I use shredded paper so I did :( at the moment I am unable to go to the store and get some Today. I only have Pine shavings and I heard that was no good either. I won’t be able to go to the store til tomorrow. What can I use in the meantime ?

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Unfortunately I do not have anyone to help me at the moment. My dad is in the hospital and and my mother is too scared to help lol I ended up doing it with wrap and it actually came out pretty well . My little nugget is still getting used to it but I think it looks good :) please let me know what you think.
In your opinion, do you think you've brought that leg in towards the body more so than it was without the wrap? It looks to me like you can bring it in more. I'll have to look back at your other photos.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Someone recommended I use shredded paper so I did :( at the moment I am unable to go to the store and get some Today. I only have Pine shavings and I heard that was no good either. I won’t be able to go to the store til tomorrow. What can I use in the meantime ?
I'm the one who mentioned using the shredded paper, however, I imagined a thick layer of crumpled shreds that would create a thick bed for the chick to sit on. What I see is a flat layer as Zara mentioned that offers no support and a slick surface the chick can't get a good balance on. Ideally you would use the aspen shavings, though you don't have any.... I would go ahead and put a 4 inch layer of the pine shavings until you can get the aspen to switch out. That's my opinion... I'm tagging @Zara for her thoughts.

MushuLB

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jenny Almodovar
Definitely a little more the leg was completely splayed out, almost flat to the ground. I’ll send more pictures. I wasn’t sure if I should make a drastic change because I didn’t want to over stress the baby’s body. I will move it in more after her next feeding tonight. I think it could move in a little more .i attaches a picture of her leg before the wrap and 2 with the wrap from different angles

Attachments

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Definitely a little more the leg was completely splayed out, almost flat to the ground. I’ll send more pictures. I wasn’t sure if I should make a drastic change because I didn’t want to over stress the baby’s body. I will move it in more after her next feeding tonight. I think it could move in a little more .i attaches a picture of her leg before the wrap and 2 with the wrap from different angles
Rewrap before you feed so you don't risk mashing a full crop. Definitely needs to be brought in much more but not directly under the body yet.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
How does this look? Too much or too little ??
I think it's better? do this.... measure the distance from the inside of each leg so you know how you progress with the shortening of the tape... write it down and keep track of it. Change it tomorrow and decrease the distance by at least a 1/4 inch and every day the same until both legs are under the body as they should be.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
measure the distance from the inside of each leg so you know how you progress with the shortening of the tape... write it down and keep track of it.
Great tip :)

Yes, coarse pine is ok, just be sure it is natural (no added scents or anything else).

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Great tip :)

Yes, coarse pine is ok, just be sure it is natural (no added scents or anything else).
Add that to the list! I should've thought about it way earlier!