• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

2 week old Lovebird Stunted growth

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Should I be concerned ? Or do you suspect she will hit a growth spurt at some point ?
I don´t think you should worry, but I do think you should just go over everything and check everything is right;
Is your chick warm enough? getting fed enough? at the correct consistency?

As for growth spurt, to my knowledge, that doesn´t happen. My girl grew super slow until she was adult sized. She only weaned at 6 months old and learned to fly later than the norm too (she flew like a helicopter for quite a while). She is now perfectly fine, you would never know if you met her today.

MushuLB

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jenny A
Oh wow ! I see the differences. If mine is a slow grower should I go back to feeding her every 4 hours? This Sunday I started Her at 5 hours for the new week and she has been doing great but I Am not too sure now that I see she is growing slower then most

MushuLB

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jenny A
I don´t think you should worry, but I do think you should just go over everything and check everything is right;

As for growth spurt, to my knowledge, that doesn´t happen. My girl grew super slow until she was adult sized. She only weaned at 6 months old and learned to fly later than the norm too (she flew like a helicopter for quite a while). She is now perfectly fine, you would never know if you met her today.
Her food is at the same temperature everyday I keep a heating pad under her nest to keep her warm and check the temperature daily. Everything seems fine. When I first got her the mother was not feeding her enough. Not sure if that would have anything to do with why she is small

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
should I go back to feeding her every 4 hours? This Sunday I started Her at 5 hours for the new week and she has been doing great
If her crop is empty every time you go to feed her, then wait less between feedings.
The crop only needs to empty fully once per 24 hours (overnight).

When I first got her the mother was not feeding her enough. Not sure if that would have anything to do with why she is small
Maybe. Especially if this went on for a while, the chick wouldn´t have been getting enough nutrition.
My bird was abandoned at 5 days by her parents and I fed her Nutribird and she still grew slowly.

MushuLB

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jenny A

Good morning guys. Today I noticed something strange. I have a lovebird names mushu and I’m not sure if it’s male or female but I caught it regurgitating food at the sight of my baby bird . Would this indicate it’s a female or male ? And if so should I let her take over and feed ? Or should I keep hand feeding ? Would this mess with the babies belly?

MushuLB

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jenny A
Good morning guys. Today I noticed something strange. I have a lovebird names mushu and I’m not sure if it’s male or female but I caught it regurgitating food at the sight of my baby bird . Would this indicate it’s a female or male ? And if so should I let her take over and feed ? Or should I keep hand feeding ? Would this mess with the babies belly?

Attachments

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
How old is the baby now? I would say no...you finish feeding the baby. What you are feeding is far more nutritious for the baby to grow on. How long have you had Mushu?

MushuLB

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jenny A
Okay I will continue to feed the baby . I’ve had Mushu since April 28. A friend of a friend did not want to care for him anymore so I offered to take him off her hands knowing I could give him a better life with a far bigger cage then what she had him in ..

MushuLB

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jenny A
Okay I will continue to feed the baby . I’ve had Mushu since April 28. A friend of a friend did not want to care for him anymore so I offered to take him off her hands knowing I could give him a better life with a far bigger cage then what she had him in ..
Sorry, baby is 19 days old today

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Would this indicate it’s a female or male ?
Neither. Could be either or.

I would say no...you finish feeding the baby
Yea you do the feeding.
Mushu may do well feeding the chick but it's extremely risky. Plus like Andrea said, the formula is a more complete food. It is designed for optimum health and growth.

Cute pics! Maybe when the chick is older (like 3 months old and onwards) they can be introduced slowly :)

MushuLB

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jenny A
Thank you guys that’s what I’m hoping for as for Gender would this tell me of Mushu is male or female ?

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
as for Gender would this tell me of Mushu is male or female ?
Neither. Could be either or.
A female will feed a chick, so will a male.

A male will feed a mate, a female usually will not (though I'm not sure they never feed mates, maybe @DoubleTake may know more about females regurgitating for mates).

So unfortunately there is no answer to your question. You will need a DNA test or wait for Mushu to lay an egg.

MushuLB

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jenny A
A female will feed a chick, so will a male.

A male will feed a mate, a female usually will not (though I'm not sure they never feed mates, maybe @DoubleTake may know more about females regurgitating for mates).

So unfortunately there is no answer to your question. You will need a DNA test or wait for Mushu to lay an egg.
Hello everyone . Update on my now 3 week and one day old lovebird. I see improvements but still growling slowly.she seems very aware of her surroundings now but still tiny. The black on her beak is now starting to show up and she can now sit up on her own but her peg
Is a little gimpy. I think she may have splayed legs but not sure if it’s too soon to tell. Her leg goes off to the side when walking

Attachments

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
Hello everyone . Update on my now 3 week and one day old lovebird. I see improvements but still growling slowly.she seems very aware of her surroundings now but still tiny. The black on her beak is now starting to show up and she can now sit up on her own but her peg
Is a little gimpy. I think she may have splayed legs but not sure if it’s too soon to tell. Her leg goes off to the side when walking
I read through the thread and you are getting great advice, the baby looks good. She is probably just growing slowly. This is not the same as stunted, it is not a concern and you do not need to do anything different from a faster growing baby except that her time from hatch to weaning will probably take longer. She will wean at an older age than a fast growing baby.

I know it was a while back but to comment on the use of pedialyte, it is used with babies instead of water but only if the chick is dehydrated. Your bird looks hydrated in all the pictures so it is not needed.

The growth pattern, slow or fast is set at a very young age, if babies receive abundant food they will start on a fast growth path, if they receive a lower amount of food as in the case of neglect then they will start out on a slower growth path and will maintain that slower rate until grown. It is actually quite amazing because the ability to adapt early on allows chicks to grow up normally in the wild even if there is not an abundance of food available.

You should gauge her progress not by here age but more by her physical development and behavior, do not expect her to fledge or wean on time, just be patient and take care of her needs for her size and development rather than basing it on age and you will both be fine :)

MushuLB

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jenny A
Thanks for the advice ! :) I was very concerned at first but with all the advice and growth she has shown I feel very confident she will be fine :) thanks again for the advice everyone !

MushuLB

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jenny A
A go w know if this behavior is okay of or they are being aggressive ?? I do not know if they should be together . They used to live together months ago before one was given to me and the other was given to my mother in laws mom. I do not know if they are male or female but previous owners before them said they were both male. Both have been through many homes they peck at each other’s feet and head and my birds beak was cracked when I got him and the other was perfectly fine. Mine always got the worst end. I ended up with his old pair when my in laws mother could not care for it so here I am with them both . Please tell me what I should do I do not want to keep Mushu in a hostile environment

Attachments

MushuLB

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jenny A
Anyone know if this behavior is okay of or they are being aggressive ?? I do not know if they should be together . They used to live together months ago before one was given to me and the other was given to my mother in laws mom. I do not know if they are male or female but previous owners before them said they were both male. Both have been through many homes they peck at each other’s feet and head and my birds beak was cracked when I got him and the other was perfectly fine. Mine always got the worst end. I ended up with his old pair when my in laws mother could not care for it so here I am with them both . Please tell me what I should do I do not want to keep Mushu in a hostile environment

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Agression in lovebirds is quite clear, consisting of lunging, biting, charging, open beak while leaning towards the other, hissing/clicky noises, fluffed up (quite a lot).

The two birds in the pic seem OK together but I can only see a picture. A video of their interactions would be helpful but even at that, you see them all the time and would see any fights they may or may not have.

Some toe pecking is normal even in bonded lovebirds.

MushuLB

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jenny A
A go w know if this behavior is okay of or they are being aggressive ?? I do not know if they should be together . They used to live together months ago before one was given to me and the other was given to my mother in laws mom. I do not know if they are male or female but previous owners before them said they were both male. Both have been through many homes they peck at each other’s feet and head and my birds beak was cracked when I got him and the other was perfectly fine. Mine always got the worst end. I ended up with his old pair when my in laws mother could not care for it so here I am with them both . Please tell me what I should do I do not want to keep Mushu in a hostile environment
Agression in lovebirds is quite clear, consisting of lunging, biting, charging, open beak while leaning towards the other, hissing/clicky noises, fluffed up (quite a lot).

The two birds in the pic seem OK together but I can only see a picture. A video of their interactions would be helpful but even at that, you see them all the time and would see any fights they may or may not have.

Some toe pecking is normal even in bonded lovebirds.
what if he’s pecking him on the head and making him go bald ? Is that normal behavior or aggression ? When I first got Mushu he was bald because the other one always pecked at his face and head .