• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

what is the gender of my budgie?!

merlin&co

Moving in
Real Name
april
I've been on this case since I got him. I wasn't exactly certain of my budgies, gender until quite recently when his cere started to become slightly crusty and light brownish/tan around the corners. Yes, I also realise that females begin to get this crusty/brown cere when they have matured! But I'm not too sure of Merlins here...

Could you please correct me if I have gendered him wrong?
(Also, any tips for encouraging to eat more fruits/vegetables, Merlin doesn't seem interested in any besides his/her seeds!)
Thank you!:p

Here are some photos of Merlin : (side note...Merlin is also about 7-8 months)

Attachments

Last edited:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
She is a lovely hen! There's not enough blue to indicate male. Common misconception that if there is *ANY* blue, the budgie is a male. Hens can have blue cere's, too! ;) It's just typically a different blue compared to a male! (unless of course the cere was pink... in which case, male!)

You might try sprouts and even sprouting millet to get her trying some new foods!

merlin&co

Moving in
Real Name
april
She is a lovely hen! There's not enough blue to indicate male. Common misconception that if there is *ANY* blue, the budgie is a male. Hens can have blue cere's, too! ;) It's just typically a different blue compared to a male! (unless of course the cere was pink... in which case, male!)

You might try sprouts and even sprouting millet to get her trying some new foods!

mmhmm yeah, thank you!

merlin&co

Moving in
Real Name
april
She looks soo content in the pic 3362!
Congrats :starshower:
haha! she kept trying to jump onto my phone, I’m surprised she’s very calm and social/playful to me. I always believed female budgies were quite territorial and ‘aggressive’ in sorts.

Lori D Pert

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Lori
haha! she kept trying to jump onto my phone, I’m surprised she’s very calm and social/playful to me. I always believed female budgies were quite territorial and ‘aggressive’ in sorts.
Little hens can be most playful. I know, I have one...lol. Sam also LOVES my phone. She even knows the sound it makes when I get a text and she's on it. I have not experienced any aggression from Sam however, that being said, if I were to get another hen then things might change.

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
She is indeed a gorgeous little girl I think!
Search at the search bar at the top right (like the magnifying glass), and type in 'vegetables' or 'veggies', and you will see loads of tricks for getting them to eat healthy.