• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures What is the best way to move my untamed cockatiel to a new cage?

colin s

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello,

I recently inherited a 5-6 year old cockatiel (Caesar) that was never tamed or taken out of his cage. I have had him for a year now, and he is a very sweet and happy bird who gets plenty of treats and toys. He sings all the time.

He is currently in the cage that I received him in, a ~4 foot tall cylindrical cage. He had enough room to move around and he seems pretty content, but his wings hit the sides of the cage when he tries to hang upside down.

I just purchased a beautiful large double height rectangular cage for him, but I am worried about how I will move him. He likes when I put my face by the side of the cage and talk and whistle with him, but he gets freaked out when my hands get near him.

Once before I tried removing him using a towel so that I could clip his nails. He completely freaked out by being held in the towel, bit me severely, and seemed really freaked out for days. I was afraid he was going to have a heart attack. He was also extremely defensive and standoffish with me for more than a month after the fact. We are finally back to normalcy except when my hands get close to him.

So my question is, what do you think is the best way/time of day to move him? Should I just use gloves/a towel and move him has quickly as possible? Should I do it during the day/morning when he is happy and energetic or should I do it in the evening when he is docile, but defensive?

Thank you so much for your help. I want to move him to his bigger home while putting as little stress on him as possible.

Attachments

Reggie

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Reggie
The only question I have is does he come out for any amount of time now? Or is there any way that you can get him to the point where he's comfortable coming out of the cage by himself?

If you can/he does, I think the best way to move him would be in steps. Start by leaving both cage doors open near each other. Slowly move his favorite toys or maybe some of his favorite foods into the other cage. Leave those things long enough for him to come out on his own and discover them. Eventually almost all of his accessories should be in the other cage. The hardest part is going to be taking him out (by your preferred method) and hiding his old cage so he can't get into it. Let him move into his own cage on his own from this point. He'll prefer the safety/comfort of his new cage over being out in the open.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I like Reggie's idea a lot. But if he wont' come out...Is it possible to face the cage doors to each other? I do this with finches. I push one door up against the other (me & hubby holding it up together, if needed). Tie them open with twist ties or clothes pins or something. Then wait.

Usually they'll get curious and fly on over but if not or if my arm is getting tired i'll take a pencil and slip it through the bars and slowly move it toward them. Then they move into the other cage to get away from the pencil.

animallover9

Walking the driveway
If he wont come out of the cage finchly probably has the best idea. If that doesn't work or if you can get him to step up on a perch that could be an easier way to move him as well. Since one of my cockatiels is very afraid of hands we have a long perch we use to move her from place to place but if that doesn't work I would defiantly go with finchly's idea.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Is it possible to put his old cage into the new cage and leave the door open?

Or, as suggested, putting the doors up against each other?

Or maybe removing one wall of the new cage and putting the old cage at the opening, and covered with a towel or blanket?

Reggie

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Reggie
That sounds like a great idea as well! Put the two open doors up against each other so your bird thinks it's an extension of his cage!

ArowanaLover

I like Reggie's idea a lot. But if he wont' come out...Is it possible to face the cage doors to each other? I push one door up against the other (me & hubby holding it up together, if needed). Tie them open with twist ties or clothes pins or something. Then wait.
Maybe if you were to do this but add millet to the other side and move most of his food and water over there (but if you notice he really won't move over there move his food and water back)