• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

URGENT PLEASE HELP (sad update #10)

Nikorice

Meeting neighbors
My Fischer's Lovebird, Peaches, is extremely sick. I'm on the way to an avian veterinarian because I don't believe in waiting these things out. I care about her so much and I found her on top of her cage this morning laying down and when I picked her up she felt cold and limp. I put her inside her cage and she went to her water bowl to drink and immediately threw up.. I'm so scared. I had the sniffles myself a few days ago and I think I had a minor sinus infection. To be honest sometimes I would be eating a piece of chicken or noodle soup and she'll fly over to me and I'll share my meal with her sometimes. SOMETIMES. Did I transfer a virus to her? I just want her to be okay :( I'll update once I get to the Avian Veterinarian but any advice would be appreciated im very worried and stressed out.

ALSO Yesterday I fed her whole grain brown rice with a cooked unseasoned egg and broccoli florets and before bed I spend time with her and feed her spray millet as a little
Bedtime snack. I'll also give her watermelon and small mandarin oranges throughout the day. With occasional shared meals. I'll give her a bite of pasta or a piece of potato etc.) that I eat myself
Thank you so much to anyone willing to respond ❤

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I don´t think they can catch most stuff we have. Either way, it isn´t your fault.

Advice;

1. Remain calm. Try to have the atmosphere as calm as possible. Take a deep breath, and try not to stress, worry or panic.

2. Keep your bird warm. You said you found her cold and limp, fill a hot water bottle, wrap it in a towel so it´s not too hot, and put it in the cage. Just keep checking it´s not too hot, more towel layers will lessen the temp. (A heat pad would be better though if you have one?)

Hope you arrive there soon and they can get to the bottom of what is going on :hug9:

Nikorice

Meeting neighbors
I don´t think they can catch most stuff we have. Either way, it isn´t your fault.

Advice;

1. Remain calm. Try to have the atmosphere as calm as possible. Take a deep breath, and try not to stress, worry or panic.

2. Keep your bird warm. You said you found her cold and limp, fill a hot water bottle, wrap it in a towel so it´s not too hot, and put it in the cage. Just keep checking it´s not too hot, more towel layers will lessen the temp. (A heat pad would be better though if you have one?)

Hope you arrive there soon and they can get to the bottom of what is going on :hug9:
I don't have her in a cage atm, she's currently in my lap in a dog carrier but she is wrapped in a warm blanket and I have water that is easily accessible to her. I'm constantly watching her for any changes in her health. Were going to be at the vet in about 40 minutes. Thank you so much you're a huge help ❤❤❤

Attachments

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
she's currently in my lap in a dog carrier
The carrier is fine.

Just be sure the room/car is warm. If it´s too cold for her, she will have to use up energy to keep herself warm. So you need to keep the environment as warm as you can so she doesn´t have to use up her energy.

I will keep her in my thoughts. I really hope she will be ok!! :fingerscrossed:

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
As @Zara said, keep the car warm. If you have heating for the car seats, put it on the lowest setting - don't put it on high because she currently can't move herself away from the heat if she gets uncomfortable.. Otherwise just make sure that the heating inside the car is on.

Well done for taking her straight to the vet as soon as you noticed something was wrong. I have everything crossed for you and Peaches.

Nikorice

Meeting neighbors
My Fischer's Lovebird, Peaches, is extremely sick. I'm on the way to an avian veterinarian because I don't believe in waiting these things out. I care about her so much and I found her on top of her cage this morning laying down and when I picked her up she felt cold and limp. I put her inside her cage and she went to her water bowl to drink and immediately threw up.. I'm so scared. I had the sniffles myself a few days ago and I think I had a minor sinus infection. To be honest sometimes I would be eating a piece of chicken or noodle soup and she'll fly over to me and I'll share my meal with her sometimes. SOMETIMES. Did I transfer a virus to her? I just want her to be okay :( I'll update once I get to the Avian Veterinarian but any advice would be appreciated im very worried and stressed out.

ALSO Yesterday I fed her whole grain brown rice with a cooked unseasoned egg and broccoli florets and before bed I spend time with her and feed her spray millet as a little
Bedtime snack. I'll also give her watermelon and small mandarin oranges throughout the day. With occasional shared meals. I'll give her a bite of pasta or a piece of potato etc.) that I eat myself
Thank you so much to anyone willing to respond ❤
EDIT: Peaches is at the vet and is receiving care and will be there all day. She is being kept in a oxygen cage and will be getting antibiotics. She has respiratory issues and the vet thinks it's due to the scented candles I've been using in the house..I'm THROWING THEM AWAY I had no idea scented candles could harm my bird.. does anyone think that she'll be okay? Or that she can survive this. She was in a very critical state and could hardly pick her head up

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Yes scented candles, febreeze, carpet cleaner, air fresheners, essential oils, wax melts, etc can all be very harmful to birds unfortunately.

They can recover, but sometimes they have chronic issues.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I hope she'll be okay. I think that if she's getting care and everything is removed from the home she can be okay.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I’m so sorry she’s sick, and I hope she’ll be okay!

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Sad update;