• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My bird just passed away moments ago

Nikorice

Meeting neighbors
Peaches didn't make it...
I have been crying and my heart is broken into pieces..I killed my lovebird. I should have known that those candles were poisonous but I didn't do enough research and I just feel like she's gone because of my ignorance
How can I get through the grieving process? I'm so hurt and broke and I've been crying since I got the call from the vet

MR. Mango

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm so sorry for your loss :sad3:

Sunni Tiel

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
:sadhug2: I'm so sorry. :sorrow:

MC_Hahn's

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Marie C.
I'm sorry for your loss. :sorrow:

Perhaps making a memorial for your little birdie would help to ease the pain? You could have a little box full of her feathers (if you had any from her), or make a memorial stone in your garden/yard. I've found that focusing on something else usually helps. If you have another fid, spend some quality time with them--They may be grieving or confused as well.

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I’m so sorry you lost your baby. Please take this opportunity to thoroughly educate yourself on the hazards to birds so this doesn’t happen again. :(

Craftydan

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Dan Crews
I'm so sorry for your loss.

It's hard, particularly when something was done in ignorance. I know -- it happened to me too.

For now, cry, morn, grow. You have our prayers.

You'll never forget, but it will get better.

In time, it gave me peace knowing even the mistakes I made were done with my bird's best intentions in mind -- you loved her, and that's true of you as well. Your next lovely bird won't be Peaches, but they will be special, and they'll be safer and better off in your care because of her.

Shilpa

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Shilpa
I'm so sorry for your loss :sorrow: I know how you feel right now but blaming yourself will only make it worse. Right now, have a proper memorial for her or just do something to remember her and celebrate her life, not grieve her death. This will definitely make you feel better. Honestly, order a tiny memory stone with her name on it. I know some places that make customized memory stones and engrave your pets name and a little drawing to represent them. I would order something like that. If you have her body, bury her under a place special to you and you know you'll visit again. If you have a yard, then maybe there. If you don't, bury her under a special tree. You can also look at pet cemeteries. Do whatever you need to do to convince yourself and remember her. Say a few loving words about her... Until you can arrange this, store her body in a plastic bag in the freezer or some other place where it's cool. If you don't have her body, just place the stone in a special place, maybe with some flowers depending on your beliefs. Then, if you're ready, maybe get another bird to shower your love upon. Don't think of it as replacing her. You just have someone else to love just as much as you did Peaches.
And no, your new bird won't be Peaches but he or she will be different and loving in their own way. I'm sorry for the extremely long post and I very much appreciate your patience if you took the time to read through it.

Last edited:

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I’m so very sorry that Peaches didn’t make it. I wish every bird came with instructions, because even if you try to research well, there are so many things to know that some are easy to miss. I’m sure you tried your best, and I bet you took the time and gave her the best care in many other ways, so don’t be too hard on yourself. She knew you loved her and she had a nice home, which unfortunately can’t be said for many pet birds out there. Maybe some sort of memorial will help, and in time I hope you find comfort in your memories.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I'm terribly sorry that you lost peaches. We all start out ignorant about our birds and learn with time and study. We here can help you - I would wager that there isn't one amongst who can't say that heir bird(s) lived despite them rather than because of them.

Here is help for your next bird that I'm sure you will learn to treasure as much as your did peaches.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Awww I´m so sorry :sadhug:

I think that when you are ready, painting a nice stone and laying it in the garden under a nice tree, or setting up some sort of memorial shelf with pictures, feathers can bring comfort.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I am so sorry for your loss :sorrow:

Priya12

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Priya
I’m so sorry , unfortunately these things happen after my parrot getting sick and having to put her down Iv learned so much I wish I knew before maybe I could have saved her , but we are human ,what matters is that you loved her, and peaches know that you didn’t do anything with bad intentions, mistakes happen and the best we can do is learn from them and do better next time , peaches is flying high with all of our other feathered family . And it will get easier trust me ,time will heal everything.sending big virtual hugs ❤

Mark & Da Boyz

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Mark
So sorry for you loss.

Mark & Da Boyz

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Mark
I want to add I know how you feel about the loss. I lost Streak, my Parrotlet of 13 years, to cancer 4 years ago and I still miss him. Then last year Miss Riti, Kakariki, passed due to ovarian cancer. It hurts but life goes on. I end up with Cheddar a baby Green Cheek Conure After Streak passed and later I took in a rehome, B.B., also a Green Cheek Conure. They don't replace Streak or Riti but fine their own place in my heart.

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh no! I'm so so sorry! :sadhug:

DesertBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm so sorry you lost Peaches.:sadhug2: Losing a pet is never easy, but remember that you gave her a loving home, and Peaches had a happy life.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am sorry for your loss.