• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Two Special Ladies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
What is the current vibe there between them and Roger? Still going well I hope! :joyful:
Roger hasn't left his cage, hasn't barbered a single feather. Other than eating all he's done is watch the birdies. Angel's tail feathers came through the bars near him and all he did was preen them. It's kinda interesting to see.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Roger hasn't left his cage, hasn't barbered a single feather. Other than eating all he's done is watch the birdies. Angel's tail feathers came through the bars near him and all he did was preen them. It's kinda interesting to see.
I have a strong suspicion that Roger is always going to be a "Work in Progress"...but that's fine! :)

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Today they discovered some toys and quickly worked out what to do with them.
DSC_0114.JPG
Holly continues to amaze me. She's always at the top of the cage and not a single fall that I've witness. She is very adapted to her wayward legs.
Last night she had me worried fir a second. I was watching them settle after lights-out and I noticed her tail bobbing as she breathed. So I got a little closer to check her out and realised "of course it's bobbing. She rests her belly on the perch so her whole body bobs!" DOH!

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Just an observation.
She found the flat platform perch and if I'm honest neither of us likes it. She'll walk on it on her heels with her toes closed and forward, so she was constantly falling over.
I think we'll be leaving that one a while :facepalm:

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Today they discovered some toys and quickly worked out what to do with them.
...not surprising at all... ;)
She found the flat platform perch and if I'm honest neither of us likes it.
...hey, you got to try it to see if it works for you...on to something different then...;)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
The vet did say to treat her as a normal budgie.
I agree.
I´m amazed at what Adelie can master and her foot barely opens. She does great because she´s flighted :) Hopefully Holly will be the same or better!

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Congratulations to all of you. Such beautiful girls.

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Can't believe I haven't mentioned the small changes I've made. If you look back at the last pic of Holly you'll see she's in the new roost, consisting of 2 parallel dowel (for now) perches with the toys between. That's so they can share toys without bickering and have plenty of options for their 'own' space. At the front of the cage there's a food dish between those perches, currently containing a dozen pellets and a millet berry. These changes have cleared up the space between the roost and the food area so they have an easy route to fly between the two, which they do rather well.

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome to the Avenue Holly & Angel!

Do Budgie's ever do the upside down thing, & side ways things, that Zon's & Conure's do? If they can I have some exercises for you to do for leg strength. As you may remember way back when I got Buddy, he was severely malnurished & weak. I did a ton w/ him for PT leg & feet strengthing when he first came. Before the flying to get his strength up to properly land. Let me know about it for sure & I can share more. Even if not the upside down, I think the beginning excersise's may help in strengthing her feet so she can better grip.

:bighug:

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Thanks @Rain Bow for the offer. If the exercises involve handling Holly I'll have to leave it for a while, I'd like her to be at least hand tame before I go there again. But when she's ready I'll definitely take you up on that. The only reason I was handling her yesterday was because I had to see for myself where we were with her legs, and I had a really good opportunity to pick her up with minimal stress.

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I've just reread Ocean's story of Blue. I believe I was thinking of Blue when I saw Holly walking, on the heels toes forward.
Thank you @Ocean, I think you may have subliminally inspired me to do this.
Blue's tale.

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Thank you Holly and Angel. Apart from brightening my life you have, in whatever way, stopped Roger from barbering. And I know I'm going to really enjoy you company over the coming years.
Candid photo moment.
DSC_0118.JPG DSC_0120.JPG
If anyone is looking at Angel and thinking male I'm doing the same. She is so vocal and playful too. But I'm assured that her cere was baby blue when she was younger.

Last edited:

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Is one older than the other? I only ask because Holly (yellow head, right?) looks puffier in every pic I've seen. Not sure if it's because she stands @ a different angle or what...

Sodapop&Co.

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Is one older than the other? I only ask because Holly (yellow head, right?) looks puffier in every pic I've seen. Not sure if it's because she stands @ a different angle or what...
I noticed that too. Is one maybe an English budgie?

Status
Not open for further replies.