• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Two Special Ladies

Status
Not open for further replies.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Welcome to the Avenue, little ones! :)
The vet said she'll never be perfect but she will get stronger.
I understand what the vet meant when that was said...but when I see that little one, all I see IS perfection.... ;)

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I'm a little overwhelmed by the interest Avenuers, all great decisions. Some I've used, some have a little twist. I've made my decision with help from the girls. Details to follow.

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
From this moment and forever more the former Marcy will be known as:
Holly Lindsay Clare (Holly for short)
Holly: Red Dwarf ship's computer. Original IQ 6000, current IQ 68. 68 is high for a budgie, and they both navigate pretty well.
Lindsay: My first teenage crush was a girl called Lindsay, and I just love the Gaelic reference to my own Christian name.
Clare: After Clare Grogan, who played Kristine Kochanski aboard the Red Dwarf in series 1,2 and 6. She was also the star pinup on a certain teenager's bedroom wall.

Darcy will be known as:
Angel Z Florence (Angel for short)
Angel: Because she is.
Z: Kristine Kochanski's middle initial.
Florence (Flo): In honour of the great Florence Nightingale who's actions and ideas saved a great many lives, and still do today.

Some of you will think some of you will think some of my references are just plain crazy. So be it. These are their names.

All 'Red Dwarf' references are to the British comedy series. Any non-British remakes are inferior in every way. :nana:

Khizz

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Great choices! It's been a while since I watched Red Dwarf, I went off it after a while, not too keen on the newer series. I think I'm gonna have to introduce my husband to it!

Also Holly and Angel have the other advantage of being Christmassy! Did you intend for that?! :greet4:

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Great choices! It's been a while since I watched Red Dwarf, I went off it after a while, not too keen on the newer series. I think I'm gonna have to introduce my husband to it!

Also Holly and Angel have the other advantage of being Christmassy! Did you intend for that?! :greet4:
Ahem! Noooo............

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Had the chance to examine Holly this morning and she was sweet as could be. Could tell she felt safe in the hand. Both legs are difficult to extend at the ankle, the left more so. Poor grip in both feet. But we did manage to work our way to full extension of both legs.
Does anyone have ideas on activities she'll be interested in that'll make her stretch her legs? Whilst she was calm in my hand she was grateful to go back to her friend and may have been stressed being handled by a stranger.
Zero interest in millet or fruit at this time.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Took me a second, but then I got it haha I need to find some reruns.
Did you watch the British series?

All 'Red Dwarf' references are to the British comedy series. Any non-British remakes are inferior in every way. :nana:
I remember watching the pilot for the American remake and thought to myself ¨what on earth is this¨ just was missing that same spark and comedy.

I went off it after a while, not too keen on the newer series.
I know a lot of people hated series 8, but I quite liked it... ¨Pete, want some seeds?¨

. I think I'm gonna have to introduce my husband to it!
Make him watch them from the beggining in order (skipping series 9 completely) :bliss:

. Does anyone have ideas on activities she'll be interested in that'll make her stretch her legs?
Climbing perch to perch? maybe you could do it with her with two perches. I´m not really sure.

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Climbing perch to perch? maybe you could do it with her with two perches. I´m not really sure
That's totally doable. Did you ever do anything special for Adelie? Or did mother nature play a large part.
The vet did tell me she'll get stronger on her own, I just want to help out a little with minimal contact until they're both fully hand tame.
While they're not tame Angel sat still for a while sat next to a sprig of millet held by my fingers. I don't think she recognised it as food at all or she would have tucked right in.
Maybe I just have to wait until they discover the treat that it is.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Did you ever do anything special for Adelie?
Yes, I stretched her foot out manually 3 times a day for a couple of months. It did not help fix her problems. I stretch her foot every now and then but not as often as that anymore. Obviously, I had to hold her in my hand while I did it, but we already had a bond that was formed almost since hatching so it didn´t taint our relationship - not that I cared, I would have happily sacrified a strong bond with her for a fixed foot.

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Yes, I stretched her foot out manually 3 times a day for a couple of months. It did not help fix her problems. I stretch her foot every now and then but not as often as that anymore. Obviously, I had to hold her in my hand while I did it, but we already had a bond that was formed almost since hatching so it didn´t taint our relationship - not that I cared, I would have happily sacrified a strong bond with her for a fixed foot.
If I was to go that route I'd have to keep her in a separate cage so that I could take her to the bedroom and avoid spooking the others.
I have had a thought though, based on two perches. I have a couple of spare 18mm dowel perches. I could make a long chunky ladder leading from their food area directly to the roost. At the moment she climbs the side bars and jumps to the perch. Maybe the ladder would actually be easier for here(?).

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Did you watch the British series?

I remember watching the pilot for the American remake and thought to myself ¨what on earth is this¨ just was missing that same spark and comedy.

I know a lot of people hated series 8, but I quite liked it... ¨Pete, want some seeds?¨

Make him watch them from the beggining in order (skipping series 9 completely) :bliss:

Climbing perch to perch? maybe you could do it with her with two perches. I´m not really sure.
I didn't know there was anything but the British series!

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Holly: Red Dwarf ship's computer. Original IQ 6000, current IQ 68. 68 is high for a budgie, and they both navigate pretty well.
Lindsay: My first teenage crush was a girl called Lindsay, and I just love the Gaelic reference to my own Christian name.
Clare: After Clare Grogan, who played Kristine Kochanski aboard the Red Dwarf in series 1,2 and 6. She was also the star pinup on a certain teenager's bedroom wall.

Darcy will be known as:
Angel: Because she is.
Z: Kristine Kochanski's middle initial.
Florence (Flo): In honour of the great Florence Nightingale who's actions and ideas saved a great many lives, and still do today.

Some of you will think some of you will think some of my references are just plain crazy. So be it. These are their names.

Hey, no judgement here, my cat Matilda is named for the 12th century English Empress Matilda! :laugh: I also have Arthurian legend theme going on with Percy, Galahad, and Emrys. Nerds unite :cantwait:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Just a little pic that shows (on a good screen) the patches of yellow, white, blue, grey and green. The full 'patchwork quilt' that makes her an individual.

So Patch would be a good name for her. She is so pretty. Is she possible a Rainbow mutation? Oh I see you named her Holly.

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
So Patch would be a good name for her. She is so pretty. Is she possible a Rainbow mutation? Oh I see you named her Holly.
I don't consider a budgie to be rainbow unless I see at least a little pink. Some would describe Angel as rainbow though.
They hanen't been here 24hrs yet but Angel has already relaxed enough to bathe :lol:
DSC_0110.JPG

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Darcy will be known as:
Well Done, Linden! :)

Welcome to the Avenue, Holly and Angel! :)
I could make a long chunky ladder leading from their food area directly to the roost. At the moment she climbs the side bars and jumps to the perch. Maybe the ladder would actually be easier for here(?).
...a good idea...Tweety came to us with a deformed foot from a birth defect. He used the side bars on the cage also...when we got him a ladder, it was much easier for him to maneuver around...not that he spends much time in the cage...it's for sleeping and eating in, so it's rather small...

Status
Not open for further replies.