• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Video They were going to put him down

Ocean

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Aqua
Back in May, my mom and I walked into a pet store and the owner convinced us to adopt a bird, a lady had dropped him off minutes ago, she had him a month and couldn't be bothered anymore. Both his legs were out in front of him, useless, he dragged them around, upon asking what happened, the pet store owner stated the lady "found him in his cage like that" bs.

He couldn't keep the bird there, in fear he would die from stress, he didn't want to keep him. My mom and I took him home, spur of the moment pet, luckily we still had Tiki's cage.

After bringing him to the vet, she estimated him to be anywhere form 2-3 months old. The vet told me that he had less than a 10 % chance, then she bumped it down to less than 5% chance of ever walking again. She told me most people would opt to put him down, and I could try if I wanted, but if it was too much in a month or two, and I couldn't do it, putting him down would be the best option. I asked if he was in pain, and she told me no, I asked if he could have sustained this injury alone, she said no. she told me he was likely dropped from high up, hit a wall or was stepped on, as it wasn't possible he did this by himself, the injury was likely in his spine. I decided to give him a chance, and she sent me home with an anti-inflammatory.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I present to you, Blue. PS sorry for the lousy quality of the videos, It was just an update, since I know how people would like to see how Blue is doing.

Watch this one first, to see how it started.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Amazing update!
I remember when you first took Blue home, my oh my, look how far he´s come!!!! Just incredible ❤
PS, I love how he says thankyou after asking for a kiss :lol:

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
That's a very special bird. You made the right decision to give him a chance. And for the bird to say thank you is beyond words! It's precious.

Lori D Pert

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Lori
Thank you for this. Stories like this melt my heart. Bless you for giving him a chance. What a playful little monkey. I see he likes to roll on his back. My little girl Sam does this as well. Quite the little chatterbox. Where would he be if you had not happened along? After reading the last post about somebody starving their budgie so he would stop chattering, I needed a story like this.:hug8:

Ocean

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Aqua
Thank you everyone xD he is indeed unique, my mom jokes around saying he must have been dropped on his head :hehe: as for talking, he does very well, his current list of words:

Gimme a kiss -- thank you!
Whatcha doing?
Never drop a baby bird (he says this the most)
cutecutecutecutecute
Happy happy happy dance *proceeds to dance*
Crazy crazy crazy bird
He also screams like a blue jay (tooooons of fun at 5 AM by the way)
and a variety of other noises I can't even begin to explain

Last edited:

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
What an adorable, sweet birdie! Congrats on his progress! Thank you for sharing, as someone above said it's so heart warming to see a good news story. :heart:

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
Such an amazing change you gave him a chance for!
I say thank-you too.
I love budgies, they are the eternal optimists. And this little guy has reason to believe now he's with you!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Oh. My. Word.

That story gives me tears. I'd give you multiple likes if I could. Thank you for saving your baby. He's smart and adorable, and he definitely would not have made it without you. Just goes to show yiou that the "experts" don't always know and the "stories" aren't always true.... and we can't save 'em all.... but you saved your One.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Thanks for saving this wee bird. I'm sure it wasn't all roses. I continue to tell everyone with an ill or injured bird to never give up - never give up.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
This... just made my day! I too, have tears welling up... happiness tears! Now this is what I call "The Bluebird of Happiness!"

I wonder what the vet thinks now.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
He decided he was in a loving home and he was going to walk and fly again. So glad you saw the fight in him and gave him a chance to give you your love back. He's such a happy boy talking and bouncing around and flying.:xflove::hug8:

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Totally heartwarming! I love it!!!