• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Two Special Ladies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Looks like I'm getting another male when I find a suitable one. Silva has won Angel's heart and I have to separate Holly at bedtime for her own safety and my own sanity. During the day everything is great still and all 3 play well together. Angel will still feed Holly so the bond is still there. It's just at night when they roost Angel doesn't want Holly anywhere near.
I don't want to return Silva. He's great with both the girls and even me, and Angel is obviously smitten.
I'l be taking Holly to the vet's in a couple of weeks when she has a checkup and while there we'll be letting her choose her own cagemate.
This isn't what I expected or intended, but as long as they're all happy and healthy.
View attachment 326591
Wow... he's gorgeous. I had to scroll back a page to find this new addition. sooooo pretty! Glad it's working out!

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
We're home and he's a cutie pie. He's extremely shy with me but he's come from a home where budgies are just there to look and sound pretty. A shame yes, but in this case not too late. When the vet got him he had breathing problems - damage from the mother's hairspray and what killed his partner. I say his, he was originally identified as female from his pink cere and called 'Buttercup' by the kids. Anyways he's had oxygen therapy and will continue on steroid injections but his x-rays are clear enough to come home and join the flock (all other tests were clear.
His new name is Goldy (to go with Silva), he's a DF Spangle and I think someone is smitten.
Meet Goldie:
DSC_0281~2.JPG
And if we zoom out a little guess who's watching intently:
DSC_0281~3.JPG
Oh boy!

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Welcome to the Avenue, Goldie! :)

...such a handsome chap, Linden!

A shame about his partner :( ...but he's in a safe place now, where he'll be loved forever...:yes3:

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Stupid autocorrect spelt it wrong, it is Goldie.
...you should see what happens when people let us know more unusual names their birds have...my autocorrect melts down... ;) I consider it an act of inspiration if that happens...;):hehe:

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:cngrt5:Goldie is so sunny looking! I hope that Holly & Goldie fibd each others hearts! I've done bunches of reading online & it seems for disabled birds they seem to do better & live linger when their "together". Hopefully this will be the case w/ these 2.

:hug8:

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
This is the first time I've seen Holly relaxed enough to lay down close to another budgie outside of the cage. Goldie does not make her feel threatened or uncomfortable in any way. Long may it continue.
DSC_0300~2.JPG

Khizz

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Awwww brilliant budgie bliss! :heart:

Sorry if you already mentioned this, but is Goldie a foster or an adoptee?

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Noticed Angel behaving strangely. She has been avoiding the other's all afternoon and showing signs of anxiety (wide eyed, panting). I waited until everyone was in the cage and closed the doors. Managed to separate her off with the divider. I was actually able to pick her up before she reacted. First thing I did given the symptoms was check for an egg - nope. Then I noticed a crease on the back of her head to one side. Lifted a few feathers and spotted a bruised bald patch. She's had a 'bump'.
She's in the 'hospital' cage away in my bedroom where it's always a little cooler than my warm lounge and at the moment 15minute obs after spending 2 hours in there with her.
She's perching fine, perching, eating and drinking, and even giving us the occasional trill. She's going to be fine but I have phoned the vet and he's ready in case I call back. She was dazed but now she's showing signs of recovery, bouncing round her own private cage and breathing normal.
Fingers crossed I don't need to ring the vet again. It just goes to show you can spend 24 hours a day living right next to your birds and you still miss things.

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I've just this minute checked her. She's happily hopping perches now so I wouldn't say she was concussed. I think she was anxious because she just felt unsafe in that busy cage with a groggy head. Everything seems normal now she's on her own. She'll be fine. I'll bring her cage back into the lounge tomorrow, see how she reacts when the others get close. The advice I have is to keep her caged separately for at least 2 days - that's gonna be hard to do, I'm a sucker for the budgie eyes.

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Angel has gone to bed with a dose of metacam (vet recommended). I'm over my own self-induced anxiety too. I thought the worst when I saw her but it's just a playground bump.
The other three didn't move in the cage for an hour, until they heard her from the bedroom. Can't wait til my feathered alarm clock wakes me in the AM.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Aw, I’m sorry poor Angel managed to get herself little boo boo, but I’m so glad that’s all it was. I was getting a bit anxious reading your post, so I can imagine how worried you must have been!

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Great news. Angel was bouncing around her cage and calling to the others so with her last dose of metacam I moved the 'hospital' cage into the lounge this morning. Vet said I should let the others out to see how they interact, make sure she didn't get anxious and she didn't. They all banged beaks through the bars and Angel was trying to squeeze through the bars. So she has rejoined the flock and they're all flying laps.
It's understandable that an injured bird feels vulnerable and scared, and that is all it was thank goodness. A little quiet rest away from any potential threats and she's bounced right back. Thanks for your thoughts everyone, they helped me the most. Now I just have to repair my own relationship with her, millet at the ready lol

Last edited:

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
They all banged beaks through the bars and Angel was trying to squeeze through the bars. So she has rejoined the flock and they're all flying laps.
...this makes my day...:heart:

Status
Not open for further replies.