• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Two Special Ladies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sodapop&Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Just yesterday I was reading this article that someone linked to: How Do You Look After A Bird When It Gets Old? . Closer to the end she shared what she did when her bird started getting pressure sores (in a different place though). If it ever becomes a problem this might be an idea.

Khizz

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Great link @Sodapop&Co. It's good insight.
If I need to I have enough vet wrap to proper pad her platforms. In the meantime she's not uncomfortable in any way
View attachment 326830
ZZZZZZZZZ_!
I haven't left many comments but I have been following and just gotta say, such cuties!!! Holly reminds me of the budgies I had when I was younger, Sky and Spirit. Unfortunately I don't have any photos!

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
To follow on from my reply to @Sodapop&Co. and anyone else following this.
When Holly is on the platforms on her 'heels' like that she isn't putting any pressure on her abdomen and so her breathing is a load better for it. Remember it's this pressure that is shortening her life expectancy, so the more I can do now to make the breathing easier the better it is for Holly.
Whilst she doesn't actively seek out the platforms she does stop a long while when she finds herself on one. Her penny hasn't quite dropped just yet, but it's not far off.
@Khizz I've always had a special place for the blue pieds (cobalt esp.) since I used to help my dad breed them.

Last edited:

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
And I think we'll end the day with a pic of all 3 chilling out together on the main platform right now.
DSC_0267~2.JPG
If they start hanging out together on there they're right in front of the roost camera.
200129_191543.jpg

Last edited:

Khizz

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
This looks like a serious meeting! :cantsee:
Maybe coming up with a plan on how to make the human fill the millet back up.... :chin:

MiniMacaw

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
They’re all three so beautiful! There’s just something about budgies that makes me happy.

My parrotlet Gemma has very similar issues with the splayed legs. Hers were crushed when a chick by a careless breeder who tried to put bands on but instead broke both legs and then never gave her treatment.
81F5DAAE-A198-4210-B0AB-C24FDD9AF923.jpeg
I’ve had her a couple of years now and I’ve found that the firm rope perches (the kind with wire inside that hold their shape) are her favorite. I haven’t found the need to pad her platform perches since likes to chew those, though every case is different with different needs. The bottom of her cage is covered with a blanket that I remove every other day and wash because the vet was worried about her falling initially and she enjoys walking on it since it’s so easy to grip or waddle on. Her legs will never change but she’s adapted wonderfully. I have a soft spot for the little splayed babies and let me tell you she’s fiesty regardless of any “issues” she doesn’t know she has lol. Unfortunately because she was picked on by other birds in the breeder bin she was in she has zero interest in making a bird friend. I’m so glad your sweet one has a flock now all of their own. :heart:

One thing that’s just about Gemma’s favorite is a teeny tiny ring swing that fits just so her legs can be held in to her body. It’s where she sleeps and plays most. FA5E24DA-8723-4CF1-9A1D-920EFF49171E.jpeg
6611240E-CCB2-42FA-853F-4CDE67F3F8F1.jpeg

Davi

Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Davi
Thanks, @Rain Bow ! I have to say, @Ripshod , her sitting like that on her little bum is the cutest thing I've seen in a while!!! So precious! I would consider hemp string/rope as well, as it's cushier than vet wrap (in my humble opinion). I think it would provide more of a "seat cushion", if you will, than just the wood. But I just can't get past how cute she is! Made my day! :heart:

Davi

Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Davi
They’re all three so beautiful! There’s just something about budgies that makes me happy.

My parrotlet Gemma has very similar issues with the splayed legs. Hers were crushed when a chick by a careless breeder who tried to put bands on but instead broke both legs and then never gave her treatment.
View attachment 326851
I’ve had her a couple of years now and I’ve found that the firm rope perches (the kind with wire inside that hold their shape) are her favorite. I haven’t found the need to pad her platform perches since likes to chew those, though every case is different with different needs. The bottom of her cage is covered with a blanket that I remove every other day and wash because the vet was worried about her falling initially and she enjoys walking on it since it’s so easy to grip or waddle on. Her legs will never change but she’s adapted wonderfully. I have a soft spot for the little splayed babies and let me tell you she’s fiesty regardless of any “issues” she doesn’t know she has lol. Unfortunately because she was picked on by other birds in the breeder bin she was in she has zero interest in making a bird friend. I’m so glad your sweet one has a flock now all of their own. :heart:

One thing that’s just about Gemma’s favorite is a teeny tiny ring swing that fits just so her legs can be held in to her body. It’s where she sleeps and plays most. View attachment 326852
View attachment 326853
How adorable! It's basically a custom-made swing for her! :heart:

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I'll keep the rope idea in mind, but I do like the idea in @Sodapop&Co. link regarding the bag of rice. I have some resealable bags I can put a good amount of rice into, then fix them down with the vet wrap. That may not work if the others go on there too much, the wrap wouldn't last too long with their nails. I think at that point it'll be the rope, but I hope I can pull off that rice idea I can see that being really comfy for her.
Anything would be better than wrapping her legs anyways.

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Holly has just been down by the side of me chatting, singing, preening, napping and I looked across and realised how much of her barring has gone. My little girl is becoming a young lady :excited1:
DSC_0272~2.JPG

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
We tried the rice idea and neither of us liked it. I think it was just too soft - even though she was resting on her heels she sank into it enough for her abdomen to press on the perch and Holly was struggling to lift her legs high enough to 'walk' about. And that was with just a small amount of rice.
So we've gone for three layers of vet wrap. Firm enough to support her heels yet soft enough to cushion them. Holly seems quite happy with it. I'm not sure about the other two, but this perch is for my special young lady not them.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I was having an issue w/ a PVC perch in Buddy's travel/NN cage. I took medical gause in the roll, wrapped the heck outta the perch & then vet tape wrapped over it. Being very careful to cover all the gause. Works great for him & his main perching foot seemed less red & angry. This was why I even started doing it. He had a small red mark & I was concerned.

Now the less happy part... If this gets wet, it goes right thru the porous vet wrap & soaks into the absorbent gause. Because it's an acrylic cage that I'm unable to remove the perch from, it always gets wet. So when doing his weekly cage cleaning, I have to re-wrap it each time I cannot just wipe the cage out. No biggy probably much cheaper than a foot vet visit. I buy the gause & vet wrap in bulk from Walmart & Amazon isn't that why the internet exhists? For our birds? :lol:

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
The saga continues.
For the last hour or so every day Holly is really enjoying relaxing on her platform. However, when the lights go off all she wants to do is perch with one of the other two but neither of them want that. She's still friends during the day with Angel and it now looks like some bonding going on between Silva and Holly, with Angel objecting.
Holly's appointment is tomorrow and the vet has mentioned a young yellow male that has just lost his cagemate, and he feels he'll be a good choice. We'll see what Holly thinks.

Last edited:

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Holly's appointment is tomorrow and the vet has mentioned a young yellow male that has just lost his cagemate, and he feels he'll be a good choice.
:fingerscrossed:

Status
Not open for further replies.