• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Two Special Ladies

Status
Not open for further replies.

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
They look so happy and relaxed together :)

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Progress.
Through my voluntary work I've had to spend a lot of time away from the flock the past two days. Nothing detrimental though it seems. They miss me. As soon as I open the front door they start calling. A quick wash up, a change of clothes and I'm in there opening the cage. They all come out in one feathered rush and perch in the branches around me, saying hello as only parrots do. I'm now fully integrated with the flock and they miss me.
Holly really surprised me though. When I sit down on the sofa she usually comes down to her special perch and has a little chat (she does this often during a normal day). Today she did a few laps of the room, hovered over me, landed gently on my chest and crawled up to gently snuggle my neck. I got a full 20 minutes of tender preening before she rejoined the rest of the flock. GOBSMACKED!
Then there's my personal aim of not intruding into the cage when they're in there. Today for the first time I reached in to clip a piece of apple over their platform above the door and before I'd even clipped it both hens were on the platform. So it now seems that rule doesn't matter if I'm bringing goodies.
I'm a happy bunny :yahoo:

Sodapop&Co.

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Progress.
Through my voluntary work I've had to spend a lot of time away from the flock the past two days. Nothing detrimental though it seems. They miss me. As soon as I open the front door they start calling. A quick wash up, a change of clothes and I'm in there opening the cage. They all come out in one feathered rush and perch in the branches around me, saying hello as only parrots do. I'm now fully integrated with the flock and they miss me.
Holly really surprised me though. When I sit down on the sofa she usually comes down to her special perch and has a little chat (she does this often during a normal day). Today she did a few laps of the room, hovered over me, landed gently on my chest and crawled up to gently snuggle my neck. I got a full 20 minutes of tender preening before she rejoined the rest of the flock. GOBSMACKED!
Then there's my personal aim of not intruding into the cage when they're in there. Today for the first time I reached in to clip a piece of apple over their platform above the door and before I'd even clipped it both hens were on the platform. So it now seems that rule doesn't matter if I'm bringing goodies.
:omg::faint:

Lori D Pert

Real Name
Lori
Progress.
I'd say that you are an accepted flock member. Nice feeling isn't it? :heart:

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I'd say that you are an accepted flock member. Nice feeling isn't it? :heart:
I've spent so many years working so hard to teach birds that my hands are nothing to be scared of, that I'm not going to attack them or even eat them. All that time I was doing it the hard way. Yes it worked but with a lot of effort on my part, waiting for a bird to come toward my hand to take some millet. Putting all my spare time into 'training' the fear out of them. All that time trying to teach when really I should have just let them learn for themselves.
It's more than a nice feeling, it's really quite humbling.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I feel so happy for you. Its wonderful when one is mature enough to realize that birds can each us and even train us. All we need is patience and understanding which can for some be difficult.

Viola B

Meeting neighbors
I've spent so many years working so hard to teach birds that my hands are nothing to be scared of, that I'm not going to attack them or even eat them. All that time I was doing it the hard way. Yes it worked but with a lot of effort on my part, waiting for a bird to come toward my hand to take some millet. Putting all my spare time into 'training' the fear out of them. All that time trying to teach when really I should have just let them learn for themselves.
It's more than a nice feeling, it's really quite humbling.
What a sweet spiritual experience.

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Flock dynamics, particularly M/F relationships can be a very interesting subject can't it? Take Holly as an example. I took her to the vet's to choose a friend and she chose Goldie. She was totally smitten from the start. But you can't predict these things, things change that quickly.
It started with Goldie. At first he followed Holly everywhere, and she followed him. Meanwhile the friendship between Angel and Silva was still on the cards. Then for a while it seemed Angel was undecided between the two boys and would flit between them for some feeding/preening and showed obvious signs she didn't want either of them to get close to Holly. That's hardly surprising as she'd been the guardian for such a long time and still is. But now we have Holly and Silva slipping off to a quiet corner for some tenderness while Goldie and Angel practice their aerobatics and have their own moments.
When fresh food comes into play things revert. The two girls go first and will chase the boys off until they've had their fill. The boys are learning to hang back - totally against their natural instinct - and let the girls eat. The girls eat quicker and the boys get to eat sooner. Besides, there's always plenty left for them.
I know some of you had your fingers crossed for a friendship between Holly and Goldie. Sorry but Holly has her own plan now, and it seems to be working for them all - even with the fifth wheel (me).

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Sorry for my tardiness, my voluntary work has progressed some, but the flock is still one.
The guys are developing into characters that while I could simply describe them I feel it would be fun to compare them to a tv programme.
First we have Angel. She's turning out to be a leader. Wherever she is everyone else isn't far away. She shouts a lot and get's upset when no-one listens. She wants everything done her way and when she wants it. She won't take being stood up to and will gladly put anyone else in their place. She has no fear. In MASH 4077 terms she is Major Margaret 'Hotlips' Houlihan.
Get the picture? We'll stick with MASH.
Silver is a jack-the-lad. Always finding strange things to do, often finding himself in trouble with Margaret. He get's on with everyone, especially the ladies who he plays like an expert. He is indeed Captain B F 'Hawkeye' Pierce.
Goldie is different. He carries an air of authority even though he's a junior rank. He's not afraid to challenge anyone and definitely has developed the tools to defend himself, and the confidence to stand up for others. He's part of a complex flock and interacts with everyone. He shows no bias. He's always the alert one. Whilst everyone goes about their daily business he's watching them, making sure they don't get in trouble and supporting those that do. If you haven't guessed yet he is Father Mulcahy.
Now Holly. She's a valued member of the flock but seems to be a little outside of things. While she's fully into getting involved in any action as part of the team when things are quiet she's happy to do her own thing. She's quiet in general, doesn't cause any trouble and is there to lighten anyone's heart. She spends a lot of time with people outside of the team (me). She's happy, sassy, a regular breath of fresh air. The only character I could possibly choose is Lieutenant Kellye Yamato.
Final member of the flock is me. Although I'm only an NCO I hold the unit together. I make sure they wake at the right time, get 3 meals a day, have everything they need to function while keeping a good stock of everything for the future. They always seem pleased to see me, they buzz around me all day and treat me as an equal. In return I keep my eyes and ears open for any way I can help make their days better. I carry the responsibilities deserverving a much higher rank without complaint and still find the time to be with my friends. If you haven't got it yet I'm Corporal Walter 'Radar' O'Reilly.

Last edited:

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Sorry for my tardiness, my voluntary work has progressed some, but the flock is still one.
The guys are developing into characters that while I could simply describe them I feel it would be fun to compare them to a tv programme.
First we have Angel. She's turning out to be a leader. Wherever she is everyone else isn't far away. She shouts a lot and get's upset when no-one listens. She wants everything done her way and when she wants it. She won't take being stood up to and will gladly put anyone else in their place. She has no fear. In MASH 4077 terms she is Major Margaret 'Hotlips' Houlihan.
Get the picture? We'll stick with MASH.
Silver is a jack-the-lad. Always finding strange things to do, often finding himself in trouble with Margaret. He get's on with everyone, especially the ladies who he plays like an expert. He is indeed Captain B F 'Hawkeye' Pierce.
Goldie is different. He carries an air of authority even though he's a junior rank. He's not afraid to challenge anyone and definitely has developed the tools to defend himself, and the confidence to stand up for others. He's part of a complex flock and interacts with everyone. He shows no bias. He's always the alert one. Whilst everyone goes about their daily business he's watching them, making sure they don't get in trouble and supporting those that do. If you haven't guessed yet he is Father Mulcahy.
Now Holly. She's a valued member of the flock but seems to be a little outside of things. While she's fully into getting involved in any action as part of the team when things are quiet she's happy to do her own thing. She's quiet in general, doesn't cause any trouble and is there to lighten anyone's heart. She spends a lot of time with people outside of the team (me). She's happy, sassy, a regular breath of fresh air. The only character I could possibly choose is Lieutenant Kellye Yamato.
Final member of the flock is me. Although I'm only an NCO I hold the unit together. I make sure they wake at the right time, get 3 meals a day, have everything they need to function while keeping a good stock of everything for the future. They always seem pleased to see me, they buzz around me all day and treat me as an equal. In return I keep my eyes and ears open for any way I can help make their days better. I carry the responsibilities deserverving a much higher rank without complaint and still find the time to be with my friends. If you haven't got it yet I'm Corporal Walter 'Radar' O'Reilly.
Quite the flock you've got going there...the MASH comparisons are very interesting!

Status
Not open for further replies.