• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Two Special Ladies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
It sounds like you have some entertaining flock dynamics, and I love the MASH analogy!

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Sorry for my tardiness, my voluntary work has progressed some, but the flock is still one.
The guys are developing into characters that while I could simply describe them I feel it would be fun to compare them to a tv programme.
First we have Angel. She's turning out to be a leader. Wherever she is everyone else isn't far away. She shouts a lot and get's upset when no-one listens. She wants everything done her way and when she wants it. She won't take being stood up to and will gladly put anyone else in their place. She has no fear. In MASH 4077 terms she is Major Margaret 'Hotlips' Houlihan.
Get the picture? We'll stick with MASH.
Silver is a jack-the-lad. Always finding strange things to do, often finding himself in trouble with Margaret. He get's on with everyone, especially the ladies who he plays like an expert. He is indeed Captain B F 'Hawkeye' Pierce.
Goldie is different. He carries an air of authority even though he's a junior rank. He's not afraid to challenge anyone and definitely has developed the tools to defend himself, and the confidence to stand up for others. He's part of a complex flock and interacts with everyone. He shows no bias. He's always the alert one. Whilst everyone goes about their daily business he's watching them, making sure they don't get in trouble and supporting those that do. If you haven't guessed yet he is Father Mulcahy.
Now Holly. She's a valued member of the flock but seems to be a little outside of things. While she's fully into getting involved in any action as part of the team when things are quiet she's happy to do her own thing. She's quiet in general, doesn't cause any trouble and is there to lighten anyone's heart. She spends a lot of time with people outside of the team (me). She's happy, sassy, a regular breath of fresh air. The only character I could possibly choose is Lieutenant Kellye Yamato.
Final member of the flock is me. Although I'm only an NCO I hold the unit together. I make sure they wake at the right time, get 3 meals a day, have everything they need to function while keeping a good stock of everything for the future. They always seem pleased to see me, they buzz around me all day and treat me as an equal. In return I keep my eyes and ears open for any way I can help make their days better. I carry the responsibilities deserverving a much higher rank without complaint and still find the time to be with my friends. If you haven't got it yet I'm Corporal Walter 'Radar' O'Reilly.
You have a very entertaining crew!! Mash is the perfect show to describe your flock dynamics!

Dorcas George

Rollerblading along the road
Well, that was a delightful read! Angel as bossy Margaret was a hoot Great analogies. I’m glad everyone is settling in so nicely!

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I think Angel got a little too in-your-face with Holly today. I saw Holly give Angel a full-on peck to the head that drew blood. It clotted well and only left a black mark - until Angel dislodged the scab. Had to towel her for a closer look. It looks messy but glad to say a fresh scab has formed and Angel is herself. It looks worse that it is.
DSC_0373~2.JPG
My little Holly is looking after herself just fine now. She's not special needs at all, just special.

Last edited:

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
One of those rare opportunities for a family photo.
DSC_0402~2.JPG
It's rare to see Holly and Angel together these days, their relationships with the boys have developed nicely. Holly is never that far from Silver, and Goldie is never apart from Angel other than when he takes himself into the cage for a nap.
Really glad to have such a large cage. While they can stay together as a flock they have plenty of space to get away from each other. I still have the option to split the cage should I need to. There's no real bickering, Holly will stand her ground against Angel while the boys stay out of it. No physical attack just squawking and posturing. Ironically this only happens outside the cage.
DSC_0409~2.JPG DSC_0410~2.JPG
The extra time I'm spending away from the flock is having an effect on our relationship. I have to spend more time amongst the branches, but it's nothing extreme. Only Goldie seems standoffish, holding back a little from coming to me for millet.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Very nice flock photos. Love the branches too. Those flat top bird cages really can be expanded on top to create a playland. Even eat there once in a while.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've been missing out on your thread lately. Sorry, loved the MASH story. Sounds like you had a little bit of red cross 1st aid going on too! I'm gkad everyone is doing ok now.

:gbh:
Don't forget to get a little R & R yourself occasionally...

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Well it's come to that point I've been half expecting for a while now. I've had to split the flock.
For a couple of weeks bedtime has been like putting feuding children to bed in a shared bedroom. Last night they were awake til midnight swapping perches and squabbling. I waited til one pair was in the cage (Angel and Goldie), closed the doors and added the divider. Then Silver and Holly went in the other half. I know this is a big relief for Holly, she has spent the past hour flat out asleep on her platform with Silva standing guard. I know we're going to have some toe nibbling while they learn to stay off the partition but I'm not going to use the solid divider unless absolutely necessary. Both boys are singing their heads off. The atmosphere has totally changed, for the better I believe.
Let's see how it goes tomorrow with separate wing time.

JoJo&Loki

Real Name
Kelly
Good thing you have that big cage with the divider option! I’ve wondered about the night squabbles, is that a common budgie thing? My two usually bicker a bit when deciding where to sleep at night before I sing to them etc... Only once or twice did it carry over after that and it was because Loki was trying to sleep too far from Jo, and Jo makes the rules so... :lol: They normally sleep right next to each other, only occasionally are they more than a few inches apart at night.
I think you did the right thing, since it was keeping them up and hopefully things go well from here!

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I think you did the right thing, since it was keeping them up and hopefully things go well from here!
...agreed. :)

You definitely got a healthy flock dynamic going there...a natural thing, indeed...;)

Status
Not open for further replies.