• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Trouble Trimming Eddie's Nails

LydiaB

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lydia
Trying to trim my Quaker parrot, Eddie's nails has been an absolute nightmare. I'm fine taking him to a professional, but I'd rather do it at home since its much cheaper. I bought some quickstop and nail clippers, hoping to try it for myself. I'd already trimmed a few bird's nails at the bird rescue I occasionally volunteer at, so I didn't think it would be too difficult. Boy, was I wrong. No matter what I tried, I couldn't seem to get a good hold on him. He always managed to slip out of the towel. I'd get him to be still for a second but he'd immediately go back to flailing around in the towel. I've done this before and it seems like I'm doing everything right, but I just can't get a grip of my crazy little Eddie.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I agree with @WallyLoopey , I have to have my husband hold the bird while I clip. Otherwise it’s impossible. Do you have someone who can help you?

EllaMay

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
April
I wrap the towel tight then Ella states "peek a boo" so I laughed too hard and she crawls outa the towel. I am a fail alert but I bought the safe perches that trim her nails down so I don't have to do them at all including the littles.

WallyLoopey

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kate
Haha! Walter hates me and my husband as well.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Nail trimming has always been problematical with me. I see many roadies that have birds that tolerate "birdicures" so nicely...the best I get is nasty stares and pulled in claws!

We end up at the local pet store...they always do such a wonderful job with out nutsy flock. Milton is a real favorite there...naturally. :rolleyes: He always comes back out of the room sitting on people's shoulders...like nothing ever happened.

Also...there's a way you can watch the whole proceedings...with out the bird knowing you're there...a plus all the way around...