• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Second Cage??

Cosette Gagne

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Cosette Gagne
Hello parronts!

I currently have an extremely spacious cage for my GCC. Pic attached. He's fine being in it while I'm within view but the moment I step into another room he starts whining.

He's my alarm clock which I really dont mind... loud screeches in the morning are very welcome in my mind. Only problem is I am in an apartment and have neighbors. This requires me to respond to his shrieks in the morning and let him out of the cage. I feed him and do our morning ritual but if I put him back in the cage to go catch a couple more zzzs he starts yelling again.
I really want to be able to give him what he wants of being able to see me in the morning without having to leave my bed and get ready right away. (I'm not a morning person and his wake up time is a bit earlier than I'd like).

I was thinking about getting a smaller travel/sleep cage for him so I can make the morning transition more smooth. I would leave him in that cage in my bedroom so the little dude could still see me until I am really ready to get up, which is what he really wants. Would this be a good idea, and if so what kind of cage should I go for and what size?

If that's not the best idea then do you guys have any ideas how we could ease him into the idea that being in his cage without me in the morning is okay?

Thank you all!!!

Attachments

Lovebirdlover

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kennedy
I actually just sold my second cage because Ice can't use it anymore (injured leg). But when she was well, she had a flight cage like your conures and also a small 18x18 playtop cage like the one shown below. I wheeled it around into different rooms that I was in and I also used it as a sleep cage as she is a very loud sleeper at night and constantly talks to herself :blah:

I think a second cage is a great idea, as long as he can be quiet while in the same room as you sleeping.

open-play-top-parrot-bird-cage-550x650.jpg

Cosette Gagne

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Cosette Gagne
I actually just sold my second cage because Ice can't use it anymore (injured leg).

View attachment 306624
Sorry about your baby's injured leg... I dont want to pry but I'm a new bird owner and I'm worried once in a while that Jiji will hurt himself. Can you share what happened?

Thank you for the help. Still new to the forums here but everyone has been insanely helpful. Great community.

Lovebirdlover

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kennedy
Absolutely! Ice didn't get hurt with any cages/toys. She is very skittish/nervous and flies full speed in any direction at the slightest sound/ scary noise. She was hanging out on her 2nd cage when something spooked her and she flew onto her favourite window sill. She must have landed funky because next thing we knew her foot was up and she screamed whenever we touched it. We rushed her to the vet and she dislocated her "hip" joint. She was in a cast for 5 weeks and the leg was set into an unnatural position so now her leg sticks out to the side instead of being underneath her. Were hoping with some daily physical therapy we can get the leg back under a bit but it will never be the same.

Nothing we could have really done to prevent it, just a freak accident!