• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

(Requesting) African gray breeding advice

Elijah131

Sitting on the front steps
Breeders sell their pairs that don't produce for them. It's money out of pocket when they can't make any money off any offspring and if there are no offspring there's no reason for them to keep them. It frees up space for a breeder to bring new birds in that will produce... just cold hard facts in the breeders world. And... some breeders don't tell the truth just to get rid of them. I do agree the greys may not feel comfortable with a bird ( or birds) of a different species housed next to them if there is but just wire separating them and they have visual and sound distractions. Have you even seen where they are currently kept so you can evaluate any problems these birds may be currently experiencing? ( Size of enclosure? type of nestbox provided for them? Diet?)

And what exactly are the vet analysis papers? What is the history of each one? ( from hatching to current age... and how old are they?)
These were the photos I received. The paperwork is from the birds sexing. the woman selling them is not a breeder she is having medical issues and doesn’t have time for them and her pet galah or enough money for bills. I can also attach an image of the cage I believe it is in the same room as the galah. If they are incompatible would it be ok to find one of them a new mate?

Attachments

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have no african grey breeding experience. I've only bred cockatiels and a few south american species. I would be hesitant to buy them with major expectations that they will breed for you. Sometimes, a change of scenery is just the thing to get them to breed. I actually remember some old timer breeders swearing that a car ride at the beginning of the breeding season was the stimulus to get them started. If you don't really care that much if they are successful or not and you are willing to be happy just allowing them to be birds, then buying them would not be a bad idea. If you would be seriously disappointed if they didn't breed, then...no guarantees with this pair. There is no magic cure for unsuccessful pairs. Especially if your male is just clueless. You might try looking up the ASA or AFA and try to find some members that breed greys. Avicultural Society of America and American Federation of Aviculture. Pet owning boards tend to have a lot of people standing tall on their high horse against breeding birds. Looking up members of those two societies on facebook or other avenues might be a more productive use of your time. I have heard that hand-fed males that were not kept with other greys from a very young age will often be unsuccessful breeders. Which is getting to be a major problem as the wild caught breeding population ages and no more wild caught birds are coming into this country.

Elijah131

Sitting on the front steps
I have no african grey breeding experience. I've only bred cockatiels and a few south american species. I would be hesitant to buy them with major expectations that they will breed for you. Sometimes, a change of scenery is just the thing to get them to breed. I actually remember some old timer breeders swearing that a car ride at the beginning of the breeding season was the stimulus to get them started. If you don't really care that much if they are successful or not and you are willing to be happy just allowing them to be birds, then buying them would not be a bad idea. If you would be seriously disappointed if they didn't breed, then...no guarantees with this pair. There is no magic cure for unsuccessful pairs. Especially if your male is just clueless. You might try looking up the ASA or AFA and try to find some members that breed greys. Avicultural Society of America and American Federation of Aviculture. Pet owning boards tend to have a lot of people standing tall on their high horse against breeding birds. Looking up members of those two societies on facebook or other avenues might be a more productive use of your time. I have heard that hand-fed males that were not kept with other greys from a very young age will often be unsuccessful breeders. Which is getting to be a major problem as the wild caught breeding population ages and no more wild caught birds are coming into this country.
Incredibly helpful advice, thank you!

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
These were the photos I received. The paperwork is from the birds sexing. the woman selling them is not a breeder she is having medical issues and doesn’t have time for them and her pet galah or enough money for bills. I can also attach an image of the cage I believe it is in the same room as the galah. If they are incompatible would it be ok to find one of them a new mate?
Based on your copy of the surgical sexing... did these birds originally come from Jeanne Patterson? I would ask the woman selling them if this is the breeder of this pair. Additionally, if this is true, I would contact Jeanne Patterson... I've tried searching for her.... could the last name be spelled wrong? The breeder may be able to advise you the best if she has years of experience, success, knowledge of the species.

Do attach a photo of the cage, it may be too small for a breeding pair and not appropriate for them to feel comfortable for breeding. As @melissasparrots said, if the male was pulled as a baby, hand fed and kept as pet, then paired with a female, he may not have any natural instinct to breed. With that said, and your question about finding a new mate.... then what will you do with the one bird you choose to replace? There are no guarantees another new bird will be accepted by the mate you choose to pair it with.

What is your plan? What type of enclosure will you provide for a pair, where will you put it, have you researched diet necessary for feeding, breeding , and housing pairs, have you researched the supplies you'll need should you have to pull babies if parents don't care for it, are you knowledgeable in hand feeding young babies. Lastly, would you be content to keep this pair if they didn't breed for you for their lifetime, their age is unknown on your document of surgical sexing so you don't know their true age.