• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My parakeet wont leave her corner

Pip and Gracie

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
graziella
I just got a parakeet from the shelter and we set up her cage and transferred her. She is already trained to perch on your finger but she will not let me take her out of her cage and she just stands in the corner and will not eat or play with her toys. It's only been a day but i'm worried and would like to know what I can do to comfort her.

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet
Don't try to get her up onto your fingers. She's scared and is basically a kid that was just adopted out of the foster system and was taken to live with someone she doesn't know. Just sit by her cage and talk to her while you do other things and try not to rush her. You got to work to build up her trust, you know? Just because she trusts some humans doesn't mean she'll trust all humans right off the bat.

Budgies are prey animals, they can get stressed out very easily.

Harleyandme

Sprinting down the street
Yes, I agree with @Garet
You can't rush the process of her getting used to all the new surroundings. It will take a while! Make sure she has food and water all the time in case she is hungry. Has she eaten/drank anything yet? Also don't expect birdie to play with toys for at least a few days :)
Do you have name suggestions?

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
@Pip and Gracie , as everyone here says, have patience, and she will settle in and feel at home soon. You didn't say if this is your first bird, but if it is, please know that they eat the top layer of seeds from the cups, and the hulls are empty in the cup and it can look like food, but it's empty seed. So just feed and water daily always and talk to her - let us know how it's going. Can you post any pics?

SquawksNibbles

Real Name
Kiera
Agreed. She is in a totally different home with people she doesn’t really know. How scary this all must be for such a little girl. With time, however, she most likely will come out of her shell. As for eating and drinking, she may just be doing it when you are not looking. For the toys, that’s understandable; it will take her a little bit to get used to her new surroundings and then have any interest in playing in toys.

It’s only been a day, so I would definitely not even try to pick her up right now. She will most likely get freaked out, even if she does know how to perch on a finger.

The first step is to get her used to your presence. I’d give her several more days alone to herself, but after that, you can start to sit by her cage and talk to her. No sudden movements, and no reaching your hand in to the cage and grabbing her - this will all scare her. Just talk softly and quietly (obviously no yelling or anything). After several days of you sitting by her cage, she should at least get used to you being by her.

The #1 to remember when you have a new bird settling in - be patient. Do not force anything. This will just teach her to be afraid of humans.

I’m glad you want to comfort her and keep her happy, but at this point perhaps give her a bit of time to herself.

I wish you the best of luck with this little girl. Thank you for adopting her in to your home, and I hope you and her will become great friends over time. :)

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Its no unusual for a budgie or any companion bird to be very quiet and not eat for a while when in a new place. Offer millet sprays often as a treat. Keep a calm demeanor and plan the sounds of other budgies from YouTube. She should respond to that.

Pip and Gracie

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
graziella
Thank you guys, shes comming up to me in the cage and eating her millet but not her food or water yet. I think shes starting to settle down. Thank you for all the information.

Pip and Gracie

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
graziella
Agreed. She is in a totally different home with people she doesn’t really know. How scary this all must be for such a little girl. With time, however, she most likely will come out of her shell. As for eating and drinking, she may just be doing it when you are not looking. For the toys, that’s understandable; it will take her a little bit to get used to her new surroundings and then have any interest in playing in toys.

It’s only been a day, so I would definitely not even try to pick her up right now. She will most likely get freaked out, even if she does know how to perch on a finger.

The first step is to get her used to your presence. I’d give her several more days alone to herself, but after that, you can start to sit by her cage and talk to her. No sudden movements, and no reaching your hand in to the cage and grabbing her - this will all scare her. Just talk softly and quietly (obviously no yelling or anything). After several days of you sitting by her cage, she should at least get used to you being by her.

The #1 to remember when you have a new bird settling in - be patient. Do not force anything. This will just teach her to be afraid of humans.

I’m glad you want to comfort her and keep her happy, but at this point perhaps give her a bit of time to herself.

I wish you the best of luck with this little girl. Thank you for adopting her in to your home, and I hope you and her will become great friends over time. :)
I understand I tried to move her a smaller cage to clean her big cage and she wouldnt let me, besides that, I havent had much interaction, hands on with her. I had heard from the shelter that she knows to perch. I'm really looking forward to her getting out of her shell.

Pip and Gracie

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
graziella
Don't try to get her up onto your fingers. She's scared and is basically a kid that was just adopted out of the foster system and was taken to live with someone she doesn't know. Just sit by her cage and talk to her while you do other things and try not to rush her. You got to work to build up her trust, you know? Just because she trusts some humans doesn't mean she'll trust all humans right off the bat.

Budgies are prey animals, they can get stressed out very easily.
Thank you, I will try to gain her trust and be less agressive with the process. I wasn't quite sure what to do, since this is my first parakeet. Again thank you so much

Garet

Real Name
Garet
Thank you, I will try to gain her trust and be less agressive with the process. I wasn't quite sure what to do, since this is my first parakeet. Again thank you so much
It's nothing. I know it can be stressful to have a new bird and see them acting terrified. I think trying to comfort any animal is a very good instinct to have in the long run. Your new friend will warm up to you eventually, it just takes time and patience when it comes to birds. It took me two months to get my tiel's trust, and I was working with Ciri for five months to try and earn her trust. You're not doing anything wrong if it takes a while to build a bond with your budgie, you just have to tell yourself that you're doing your best and try to understand that your bird appreciates everything you're doing for her, but they're hard-wired to be shy and easily spooked. Every step forward you take with your bird is a huge step for her, and patience and understanding is the key to helping her learn that you're safe to be around and won't hurt her.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congrats on getting your budgie. Agree with others about being patient and giving her a chance to get used to her new home. Post some photos when you get a chance but only if your budgie is comfortable with that and doesn't get stressed out by the camera/cell phone.