• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My First Conure!

SquawksNibbles

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kiera
I have only had two birds, but in both cases, once the birds tasted seeds, it was all that they would eat. I am starting to think that I would be very hesitant to give a new baby bird any seeds. It's like giving them cocain.

A lot of people here have birds that get seed daily and still like their daily vegetables and fruits. My birds were on a seed-only diet for several years. Then I was able to get them to try vegetables, and they’ve loved all sorts of foods ever since. They now get seeds, pellets, and vegetables. They love their seeds, but they are not obsessed with them like they used to be, and they like their chop now, too. How have you tried offering vegetables? Mine quickly accepted broccoli because the top of it was chopped off, and they resembled seeds. Now they love all sorts of vegetables and grains! :)

@Fawnia, is anybody going to be home during the day that can spend time with him while you’re away at school? For example, one of your parents or a responsible sibling (if you have any siblings) could hang out with him. This would also help with socialize with everyone else and get used to them, too.

As for the diet, he will need vegetables in his diet. Fruit isn’t as important and some birds actually prefer vegetables over fruit. My Budgies don’t like any fruits so far, only vegetables and cooked grains. You can, of course, feed fruit - it’s just higher in sugar so it’s best to limit that a little more. Pellets are good at filling in any holes and gaps in the diet. In the wild, birds would eat germinated seeds. You can learn to sprout seeds and many birds love them.

Also, your picture of the cage setup isn’t showing up for me. And also, for building toys, I find myself much more comfortable buying from vendors here on AA. Recently I ordered from California Bird Nerds (they have a bunch of different toy parts), and it all turned out great. The most important thing: I know everything from there is safe for birds! :)

LSA

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Leslie
I make toys from California Bird Nerds toy parts. Also, any toys that get damaged, get scavenged for parts! Anything salvageable gets put on a new toy.

My budgies love fresh veggies that aren't sweet and won't eat fruit. (@SquawksNibbles taught me the broccoli trick.) JoJo prefers seeds with some pellets and Tommy prefers pellets with a few seeds. Chirps eats mostly pellets, so Tommy eats likes to go into the p'let cage to eat. My SdC loves raspberries MUCH more than blueberries; my GCC hates raspberries but LOVES blueberries. My BCC and WCP will eat anything!:eating:

I couldn't see the cage setup either. :(

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Thanks for everyone's advice on seeds. I think I'm going to give him only pellets now. I will put the seeds in his foraging toys only. ^^
Keep an eye on his weight if your cutting something out of his diet. A small kitchen scale will work. It's also a good idea to weigh on a consistent schedule. I try to weigh mine weekly or bi-weekly.