• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Momo beak peeling update - green cheek Conure flaky beak

Baileybea

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Bailey
Hey! So I think I know what happened? Momo recently started waking up and chewing on her cage in the morning. She usually chirps for me to get her as soon as she wake up but started doing the chewing thing about a week or so ago. So I’m thinking maybe she went a bit to hard or something and it started causing the flaking.

Her beak has peeled quite a lot since the other day and now looks like this. Is this still okay? It looks pretty thin/bad to me, but she doesn’t appear to be in any pain at all and is continuing to chew on things/eat normally. I’m still waiting to hear back from her vet, he was sent pictures yesterday and was supposed to call me but was in late doing surgery so I should hear back today.

Is there anything I can do to help keep it from getting worse? Or should I just take care of her as normal and let her do her thing?

Attachments

Baileybea

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Bailey
So I went to this really awesome parrot supply store that I started going to a few months ago. The lady there is super knowledgeable, has her own birds including a green cheek Conure, and makes a lot of her own toys that she sells! She also sells parts so you can make up your own toys.

I showed her the pictures of Momo and asked if they look worrying/if I should take her to the vet and she also said that she’ll be fine. She recommended I try red palm oil, she usually sells it but she was out of the smaller bottles so she’s gonna order some for me. I’ve read about it and seen it recommended a lot so I’m definitely gonna try giving it to Momo. I think it’ll help with her feathers and stuff - I did read that you shouldn’t use it too much so I’m thinking I’ll just give her a little bit with her food a couple times a week and see if there’s any improvement. I’m also gonna talk to her vet about it!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Your birds beak must peel/loose the outer layers from time to time or the beak will become too think with old layers. Just like human skin, beaks have to shed to stay healthy.
There’s nothing to worry about- the beak will function correctly but just look a little scruffy for a bit. You can take measures to tidy it up but it’s not necessary nor will it alter how your birds beak is functioning.
I fail to see how RPO is going to “fix” something that’s not broken
RPO is not going to stop the beak doing this… it’s a normal natural process.

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I agree the beak looks normal. My Macaws beak recently looked just like this. It's now back to normal. No need to do or give anything. Nature will take care of it.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
You must be very careful with pain oil . They can receive to much A and thst can be toxic to the liver . As A is a fat soluble vitamin.

There are different opinions, my personal avain veterinarian is against it. But I've heard other members say their vets were ok with it.

Beaks do peel like this . Mine occasionally peel and flake to what looks like extreme. It's true a good healthy diet with fresh veggies, and pellets make for healthy skin , feathers , beaks. And it can be easy to spot those not eating healthy by dry flaky skin and beaks , and lack luster feathers. But that's not what you're looks like . As the upper beak is fine, she just shedding some outer layers in the bottom.

Excessive bar chewing, usually cause problems in beak edges , making grooves and divot.