• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

IRN cage upgrade!

Mehul93

Moving in
So I've had my ringneck for around 4 days now and is pretty skittish and freaks out when I go too close to his cage. The current cage has bowls that I have to stick my hand into the cage to change and doing this causing my IRN to go crazy. So I've decided to upgrade to one that has dedicated feeding bowls that have access from outside. I was 3 wondering what cage out of the below would be the best.

Yaheetech Extra Large Rolling Metal Bird Cage Parrot Cage for African Grey Parakeets Cockatiels with Stand Playtop Black 160cm High: Amazon.co.uk: Pet Supplies

Yaheetech Large Metal Parrot Cage Bird Cage for Budgie Canary Aviary Cockatiel with Playtop Perch Stand and Wheels Black: Amazon.co.uk: Pet Supplies

Yaheetech 3 Tiers Large Bird Cage Parrot Cage for Budgies/Lovebirds/Conures/Parakeets/Cockatiels and so on Aviary for Chinchilla Degu Rats Cage with Perch Stand and Wheels: Amazon.co.uk: Pet Supplies

I was wondering what would be the best advice to get it to not freak out when I go near it. It is 6 months old and I have bought it from a breeder but it is not tamed. I've been sitting next to the cage for the past 2 days working etc but I've read on other forums people saying that I should completly avoid my interacting with my IRN and not to even look at it for now. Anyone got any advice to get me going?

Thanks!

budgieluv3

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Bear (It's a nickname)
Try to drop a treat in its food bowl whenever you go near it.
As for the cage, here is a thread with cage suggestions. Cages thread

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
A minimum cage size for an IRN is 32x21" or 81x53 cm
This site has more on how minimum cage sizes are calculated: Wingspan Info | Natural Inspirations Parrot cages

The first two cages you've posted are too small. The second cage includes the size of the seed guard in its overall measurements which is misleading as the bird won't be using the space. Look at the tray measurements and they're only 61x56cm.
The third cage is narrower than I'd like but is the only acceptably sized cage out of the options you've linked to.

Mehul93

Moving in
This site has more on how minimum cage sizes are calculated: Wingspan Info | Natural Inspirations Parrot cages

The first two cages you've posted are too small. The second cage includes the size of the seed guard in its overall measurements which is misleading as the bird won't be using the space. Look at the tray measurements and they're only 61x56cm.
The third cage is narrower than I'd like but is the only acceptably sized cage out of the options you've linked to.
Hi is that 81x53 Length x Depth?

Mehul93

Moving in

This is the one I currently have Dawoo Bird Cage Wrought Iron Flight Cage Parrot Cage 52 Inch Large Bird Cage With Roller Metal Wheel: Amazon.co.uk: Pet Supplies, however I have to reach into the cage to change food etc and my IRN goes crazy when I do that