• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I need some advice on a neglected baby budgie I received

Britnicorn

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Okay, should I still make a little nook out of the bedding though? Without lining the bottom with anything?
When you get your bedding material it should be at least three inches deep. ( you may not be able to make it too deep by using your shoe box) . use your fist to press down the area ( like an inside bowl shape) big enough for the chick and a couple of the cloth buddies.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Oh wow thanks! I actually just started weighing her today, she was about 2.84grams(empty crop)
If I get motivated over the next few days I'll try making a narrow feeding spoon to show you how to do that with a plastic spoon. I'm not sure how small they make the feeding spoons for something as tiny as your little baby...but most people would just use a very small spoon. If I had my druthers I would use a feeding spoon over a regular spoon. And, as @PoukieBear mentioned you can change over to feeding with a spoon after a couple of weeks. It's a safer method of hand feeding with less risk of aspiration of formula. The baby will transition well to it with a good feeding response. It's just a little messier than feeding with a syringe.

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
If I get motivated over the next few days I'll try making a narrow feeding spoon to show you how to do that with a plastic spoon. I'm not sure how small they make the feeding spoons for something as tiny as your little baby...but most people would just use a very small spoon. If I had my druthers I would use a feeding spoon over a regular spoon. And, as @PoukieBear mentioned you can change over to feeding with a spoon after a couple of weeks. It's a safer method of hand feeding with less risk of aspiration of formula. The baby will transition well to it with a good feeding response. It's just a little messier than feeding with a syringe.
Do you mean I should start feeding with a spoon now? We have (human)baby spoons I could try to use

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
:angelic::angelic::angelic:You have done so well with this sweet baby so far, I can't believe how well you have done! And all our folks here who chimed in with all their knowledge are amazing, aren't they? I just wanted to tell you that you, chick, and egg are in my prayers! I wish people who are interested in breeding could read this entire thread, or that the admins could pin it somewhere, so that people could actually see what goes into trying to take care of a baby bird!

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
:angelic::angelic::angelic:You have done so well with this sweet baby so far, I can't believe how well you have done! And all our folks here who chimed in with all their knowledge are amazing, aren't they? I just wanted to tell you that you, chick, and egg are in my prayers! I wish people who are interested in breeding could read this entire thread, or that the admins could pin it somewhere, so that people could actually see what goes into trying to take care of a baby bird!
Thank you so much, you are so sweet

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
822C3D64-4BB2-4499-83CB-6F790334DD7B.jpeg
9F7F9554-82C8-48CD-B2A5-71DB972972FD.jpeg
7CC79817-99A9-423D-BDA8-42F88D10A33C.jpeg
I think she might have food stuck in her crop! It’s only been a little less than an hour since her last feeding, so I hope it just hasn’t had the time to empty all the way. If it doesn’t empty within another hour or two I’m taking her to the vet.
The crop is pretty squishy but it still looks like there’s some food in it

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
View attachment 370723
View attachment 370724
View attachment 370725
I think she might have food stuck in her crop! It’s only been a little less than an hour since her last feeding, so I hope it just hasn’t had the time to empty all the way. If it doesn’t empty within another hour or two I’m taking her to the vet.
The crop is pretty squishy but it still looks like there’s some food in it
How long do you wait between feedings? It's ok if there is a small amount of formula to be present on scheduled feedings during the day. At night time you want the crop to completely empty before the first feed of the day. On these day old babies I'm not so sure about going the six hours without feeding during the night. It is important though... for the crop to COMPLETELY empty once a day and that is usually during the night.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Babies are hatched in nest boxes filled with shavings ( normally) so you don't need to line that nook with the fabric but if you do, just make sure there is enough of an indentation where the chick can keep her legs under her and have traction to move about. This is the problem with paper towels being too smooth for a young bird to move about on. We do see our fair amount of people who come on the forum with a baby whose legs are splayed out to the side with no ability to walk and will stay that way unless there is human intervention. Those babies were either kept on a paper towel surface or there was not ample nesting material in the nest box to begin with.
:)

Okay, should I still make a little nook out of the bedding though? Without lining the bottom with anything?
See the above post.
I said this on my second reply to this thread back on the first page I think. Fill the container with the shavings, gently press them all down, then make a slight bowl/dip with your closed fist, put the baby directly in there with the knot and the egg.
That´s all. No paper towls or anything like that :)

It’s only been a little less than an hour since her last feeding,
That´s not a lot of time, even for such a young chick. Give them a little more time for the food to be digested.
It´s easy to freak out when they are so small and fragile, but so far they seem ok.

@Mockinbirdiva Thankyou for posting the pics of the knot, that is exactly what I was thinking of!

I fed Adelie through the night when I first took over feeding her, she was 5 days old, a little wriggler. Fed her every 2-3 hours. I just made sure the crop was completely empty once per day, same like older chicks, and I did that during the night, again like older chicks. If I woke and there was still formula, I waited and checked back 20 mins later until it was empty then fed. This way she didn´t go all night on an empty crop like the older chicks do.
I'm not so sure about going the six hours without feeding during the night.
No, I never left her that long without feeding. They´re just too fragile.

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
How long do you wait between feedings? It's ok if there is a small amount of formula to be present on scheduled feedings during the day. At night time you want the crop to completely empty before the first feed of the day. On these day old babies I'm not so sure about going the six hours without feeding during the night. It is important though... for the crop to COMPLETELY empty once a day and that is usually during the night.
Her crop used to empty within 30-45 minutes, but someone told me it was emptying so fast because of air bubbles from me feeding her too slow. So today I started feeding her faster, and she’s slowly been having a longer time in between feeds, this time I waited an hour to check (she wasn’t crying for food, but I’d thought she should eat anyway) but it still looks a little full :(

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney

See the above post.
I said this on my second reply to this thread back on the first page I think. Fill the container with the shavings, gently press them all down, then make a slight bowl/dip with your closed fist, put the baby directly in there with the knot and the egg.

That´s not a lot of time, even for such a young chick. Give them a little more time for the food to be digested.
It´s easy to freak out when they are so small and fragile, but so far they seem ok.

@Mockinbirdiva Thankyou for posting the pics of the knot, that is exactly what I was thinking of!

I fed Adelie through the night when I first took over feeding her, she was 5 days old, a little wriggler. Fed her every 2-3 hours. I just made sure the crop was completely empty once per day, same like older chicks, and I did that during the night, again like older chicks. If I woke and there was still formula, I waited and checked back 20 mins later until it was empty then fed. This way she didn´t go all night on an empty crop like the older chicks do.

CB4364E1-2082-497C-BCBC-08413241FD0B.jpeg
A0F3A40F-BD87-4CE8-9B0D-0A81E8BC63C0.jpeg
I’ll check her crop again soon. I made the cloth buddies and after a few minutes of them being in there she took to them and started snuggling them, she’s finally sleeping consistently and seems more comfortable. I accidentally made the first one a little on the bigger side, but I weighed it and it doesn’t weigh much more than her so I thought it’d be okay

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Her crop used to empty within 30-45 minutes, but someone told me it was emptying so fast because of air bubbles from me feeding her too slow. So today I started feeding her faster, and she’s slowly been having a longer time in between feeds, this time I waited an hour to check (she wasn’t crying for food, but I’d thought she should eat anyway) but it still looks a little full :(
By now you've probably read Zara's last post. You do make fresh formula each time right? Never save any to feed the next time and if you are heavy on the mixing ( like swirling spoon mixing) you can tap the cup you mix the formula in on the counter to make any bubbles in the formula rise to the surface before you pull it up into your syringe. Hope this isn't confusing.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Once you get the bedding it will be much better for her.
I know I´m just a broken record bambling on about bedding, but it it so important. For the birds legs as I said, also for higiene, shavings also help keep in the heat in the brooder and finally it´s more comfortable.
See if you can get those asap. (Sorry, I don´t know if it is day or night for you).

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney

See the above post.

Okay, I just looked again and it seems to be getting smaller, I’m going to wait for it to completely empty just in case though. I’m sorry for all the panic I’ve been having lol

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
Once you get the bedding it will be much better for her.
I know I´m just a broken record bambling on about bedding, but it it so important. For the birds legs as I said, also for higiene, shavings also help keep in the heat in the brooder and finally it´s more comfortable.
See if you can get those asap. (Sorry, I don´t know if it is day or night for you).
The bedding should be here in 30 minutes :D I had my dad get it for me

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
By now you've probably read Zara's last post. You do make fresh formula each time right? Never save any to feed the next time and if you are heavy on the mixing ( like swirling spoon mixing) you can tap the cup you mix the formula in on the counter to make any bubbles in the formula rise to the surface before you pull it up into your syringe. Hope this isn't confusing.
Yes I make it fresh each time. Thanks for the tips!

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
View attachment 370726
View attachment 370727
I’ll check her crop again soon. I made the cloth buddies and after a few minutes of them being in there she took to them and started snuggling them, she’s finally sleeping consistently and seems more comfortable. I accidentally made the first one a little on the bigger side, but I weighed it and it doesn’t weigh much more than her so I thought it’d be okay
Smaller would be better... about the size she is. As long as she can freely move about in her little spot. You might check out how to candle that egg to see if it's viable.